Joe Lally in Campinas, Sao Paulo
|Born||December 3, 1963|
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
|Genres||Post-hardcore, indie rock|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, vocals, guitar|
|Associated acts||Fugazi, Ataxia, Decahedron, The Messthetics|
Joe Lally formed Fugazi with Ian MacKaye in 1987. He remained as the group's bassist until their "indefinite hiatus" in 2003.
Lally founded Tolotta Records (distributed through Dischord Records), which was active from 1994 until 2001, putting out notable releases by such artists as Dead Meadow, Spirit Caravan, Stinking Lizaveta & Orthrelm.
In early 2002, Lally joined ex-Frodus members Shelby Cinca and Jason Hamacher on a project originally called The Black Sea, which would change its name to Decahedron and release an EP and an album before Lally left the band. He has also worked with John Frusciante and Josh Klinghoffer as the group Ataxia, releasing two albums: Automatic Writing (2004) and AW II (2007).
In 2006, Lally was playing solo shows on bass with slight laptop accompaniment in various college towns, leading up to his first solo album, There to Here, which was released in the fall of 2006. It features Jerry Busher, Ian MacKaye, Amy Farina, Guy Picciotto, Scott Weinrich and many other musicians from the DC music scene.
In 2007, he toured the U.S. with the Philadelphia band Capillary Action and Melvins, and Europe and Japan with the Italian band Zu. His second solo album, Nothing Is Underrated, was released in November 2007.
Lally released his 3rd album, Why Should I Get Used To It, in April 2011.
Joe lived in Rome, Italy with his wife and daughter until 2015, when he moved back to Washington DC.
- with Fugazi
- Repeater (1990) Dischord
- Steady Diet of Nothing (1991) Dischord
- In on the Kill Taker (1993) Dischord
- Red Medicine (1995) Dischord
- End Hits (1998) Dischord
- The Argument (2001) Dischord
- There to Here (2006) Dischord
- Nothing Is Underrated (2007) Dischord
- Why Should I Get Used to It (2011) Dischord
- with The Messthetics
- The Messthetics (2018) Dischord
- Anthropocosmic Nest (2019) Dischord
- "Joe Lally Albums: songs, discography, biography, and listening guide". rateyourmusic.com. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- Marisa Brown. "AMG Guide – Joe Lally Biography". Allmusic.com. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Dischord Records. "Joe Lally – Why Should I Get Used To It". Dischord.com. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Moore, Meghin (March 14, 2019). "Breaking new ground and dodging the familiar: The Messthetics' Joe Lally". The Daily Progress. Retrieved March 16, 2019.
- Dischord Records. "The Messthetics – S/T". Dischord.com.
- Van Sounds Episode: "Going for it" (July 2016)