Johnson Township, Champaign County, Ohio
|Johnson Township, Champaign County, Ohio|
Aerial view of Kiser Lake, a major feature of the township
Location of Johnson Township in Champaign County
|• Total||30.6 sq mi (79.3 km2)|
|• Land||30.0 sq mi (77.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,171 ft (357 m)|
|• Density||117/sq mi (45.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085843|
Johnson Township is one of the twelve townships of Champaign County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported 3,506 people living in the township, 1,631 of whom were in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Adams Township - north
- Concord Township - east
- Mad River Township - southeast
- Jackson Township - south
- Brown Township, Miami County - west
- Green Township, Shelby County - northwest
Name and history
Johnson Township was established in 1821. It was named for Major Silas Johnson (Johnston), a Revolutionary War veteran and the first white person to settle in the area in 1802.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Johnson township, Champaign County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Johnson township, Johnson township, Champaign County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- The History of Champaign County, Ohio. W.H. Beers & Company. 1881. p. 438.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.