|Occupation||VP Engineering, Two Pore Guys|
|Known for||FreeBSD, NextBSD, FreeNAS Corral|
Jordan K. Hubbard (born April 8, 1963) is a open source software developer, authoring software such as the Ardent Window Manager and various other open source tools and libraries before co-founding the FreeBSD project with Nate Williams and Rodney W. Grimes in 1993, for which he contributed the initial FreeBSD Ports collection, package management system and sysinstall. In July 2001 Hubbard joined Apple Computer in the role of manager of the BSD technology group. In 2005, his title was "Director of UNIX Technology" and in October 2007, Hubbard was promoted to "Director of Engineering of Unix Technologies" at Apple where he remained until June 2013.
On March 31, 1987 Hubbard executed an rwall command expecting it to send a message to every machine on the network at University of California, Berkeley, where he headed the Distributed Unix Group. The command instead began broadcasting Hubbard's message to every machine on the internet and was stopped after Hubbard realised the message was being broadcast remotely after he received complaints from people at Purdue University and University of Texas. Even though the command was terminated, it resulted in Hubbard receiving 743 messages and complaints, including one from the Inspector General of ARPAnet.
- Tiemann, Brian; Urban, Michael (2003). FreeBSD Unleashed (2 ed.). Sams Publishing. p. 408. ISBN 9780672324567. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "About the FreeBSD Project". Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Jordan Hubbard joins Apple Computer". 2001-06-25. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "FreeBSD founder quits Apple to focus on Big Data". Telecoms.com. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "Apple software engineering director departs after 12 years to join iXsystems". AppleInsider. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Apple's Jordan Hubbard Joins iXsystems. Prweb.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-19.
- Creating FreeNAS 10
- "Terms of Service Violation". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Jordan Hubbard FreeNas Forums announcement
- Jordan Hubbard Twitter announcement
- TwoPoreGuys Management Page
- Jordan K. Hubbard. "My Broadcast [The UNIX rwall problem]". The Risks Digest.
- My Broadcast [The UNIX rwall problem] - ACM Risks Digest - April 2, 1987
- History of FreeBSD project
- WorkingMac interview (retrieved from archive.org) - August 16, 2001
- MacSlash interview (retrieved from archive.org) - December 17, 2002
- OSNews interview - April 15, 2003
- Face to Face with Jordan Hubbard, BSDi (retrieved from archive.org) - February 11, 2000
- Salon: Open-sourcing the Apple (retrieved from archive.org) - Jordan initial reactions to the first time he used Mac OS X (November 17, 2000)
- Open Source to the Core - May 1, 2005
- Apple’s Operating System Guru Goes Back to His Roots - Aug 9, 2013
- Feb 20th, 2017 4:05 PM EST, John Martellaro, The Mac Observer, TMO Background Mode: Interview with Open Source Developer & Former Apple Manager Jordan Hubbard
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|