PlayStation Vita system software
|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
PlayStation Vita home screen
|Developer||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|OS family||Unix-like (based on FreeBSD and NetBSD)|
|Source model||Closed source|
|Initial release||December 17, 2011(as 1.03)|
|Latest release||3.52 / June 23, 2015|
|Available in||Danish, German, English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional).|
|Update method||Direct Download
Download via PS3
Download via PC
|Default user interface||LiveArea|
|Preceded by||PlayStation Portable|
The process of updating is almost identical to that of the PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4. The system software may be updated by downloading the update directly to the PS Vita over Wi-Fi, downloading the update via a PS3 system, downloading the update via a PC, or installing via a PS Vita game card containing update data. PlayStation TV systems can also update via Ethernet connection. The PlayStation Vita uses the LiveArea as its graphical shell. The PlayStation Vita system software has one optional add-on component, the PlayStation Mobile Runtime Package. The system is built on a Unix-base which is derived from FreeBSD and NetBSD.
The current version of the system software, 3.52, was made available on June 23, 2015.
Compatible media formats
The PlayStation Vita is capable of photo, audio, and video playback in a variety of formats. The following table lists the photo, audio, and video formats that are supported on PS Vita.
- Image formats
- Audio formats
- Video formats
Other gaming platforms from Sony:
Other gaming platforms from this generation:
Other gaming platforms from the seventh generation:
- System Language | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide. Manuals.playstation.net. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Update Using Wi-Fi/Mobile Network | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide. Manuals.playstation.net. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Update by Connecting to a PS3™ System | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide. Manuals.playstation.net. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Update by Connecting to a PC | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide. Manuals.playstation.net. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- PlayStation®Vita システムソフトウェア アップデート PS Vitaカードでアップデート | プレイステーション® オフィシャルサイト. Jp.playstation.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-23.
- Giuseppe Nelva (2015-01-13). "PlayStation Vita Firmware Update 3.36 Released by Sony – Much Ado About Stability". dualshockers.com. Retrieved 2015-01-13.