||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|OS family||FreeBSD (8.4-RELEASE)|
|Working state||Discontinued / February 15, 2015|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||1.8.1 / January 15, 2014|
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
m0n0wall is an embedded firewall distribution of FreeBSD, one of the BSD operating system descendants. It provides a small image which can be put on Compact Flash cards as well as on CD-ROMs and hard disks. It runs on a number of embedded platforms and generic PCs. The PC version can be run with just a Live CD and a floppy disk to store configuration data, or on a single Compact Flash card (with an IDE adapter). This eliminates the need for a hard drive, which reduces noise and heat levels.
On February 15, 2015 it was announced the "m0n0wall project has officially ended. No development will be done anymore, and there will be no further releases". The pfSense project, which forked from the m0n0wall project in 2004 is still[when?] maintained.
Some functions of m0n0wall are:
- Stateful packet filter firewall
- IPsec and PPTP VPNs
- Inbound and Outbound Network Address Translation
- Captive portal
- Traffic shaper
- Inbound and Outbound port filtering
- Support for 802.1q compatible VLANs
- Multiple IP addresses on LAN and WAN ports
m0n0wall is installed on embedded hardware designed and manufactured by some companies.
Inclusion in commercial products
m0n0wall is used in some commercial hardware platforms.
- Similar hardware requirements
- t1n1wall : 2015 fork of m0n0wall after it was discontinued.
- SmallWall: Another 2015 fork of m0n0wall after its end-of-life.
- m0n0wall mod: Original m0n0wall with additional features (DHCP+PPTP, DHCP+PPPoE, static+PPPoE, L2TP, WAN eth interface), no activities since 2013.
- Extended hardware requirements
- pfSense: forked from the m0n0wall project in 2004; builds off of m0n0wall but focused towards full PC installations rather than the embedded hardware focus of m0n0wall.
- Other usages (not a firewall)
- AskoziaPBX: An embedded telephone system.
- NAS4Free: NAS Network-attached storage distro using FreeBSD, use portions of m0n0wall web GUI.
- BSD based:
- Linux based:
- Browser plugin/App:
- Official website
- M0n0wall central management interface project
- M0n0wall review at Linux.com
- m0n0wall mod
- Defend your Network and Privacy - VPN Gateway with FreeBSD
- Defend your Network and Privacy - VPN Gateway with OpenBSD
- The ultimate OpenBSD router
|This network-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This operating-system-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|