Burkman in 2007
April 10, 1980|
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
|Other names||The People's Warrior|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
Welterweight (2005–2016, 2018-present)
|Reach||72.0 in (183 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Team||The Pit Elevated Fight Team|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Joshua Ray Burkman (born April 10, 1980) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's welterweight division. He formerly competed in the World Series of Fighting, the XFC, and was a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter 2.
Burkman was born in Salt Lake City, Utah he attended Cottonwood High School (Murray, Utah). He was a three-sport star athlete for the Colts. He was a Class 5A All-State third baseman on the baseball team, and was captain of the football team, where he rushed for over 1,000 yards as a senior. As a member of the wrestling team, he finished second place in the state championships in the 171-pound division.
Burkman played two seasons of college football before he began his career in mixed martial arts. He spent his freshman season at Snow College in Ephraim, Utah but he missed half the season with an injury. Then he transferred to Dixie State College in St. George, Utah. His sophomore season (2001) was spectacular: he rushed for 1,439 yards and 13 touchdowns for the Rebels, earning JUCO All-American honors. His team won the Dixie Rotary Bowl; for his performance, Burkman earned a scholarship offer from the University of Utah. Ultimately, he decided to drop football and pursue mixed martial arts.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Burkman was originally chosen to be on the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter, but he failed pre-show drug test failure and admitted to taking Winstrol. He was later a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter 2 as part of Team Hughes.
During his time with the UFC, Burkman earned wins over Drew Fickett, Josh Neer, and Forrest Petz, but was largely unsuccessful against the bigger names in the division. After three back-to-back losses in 2008, Burkman was cut from the UFC with a record of 5 wins and 5 losses.
On April 9, 2010, Burkman took on Jake Paul at Showdown Fights – Burkman vs. Paul winning via unanimous decision.
On September 24, 2010, Burkman faced undefeated Jordan Smith at Showdown Fights – Respect. Burkman won the fight via split decicion.
On February 24, 2012, Burkman faced Koffi Adzitso at Showdown Fights – Breakout, Burkman won via unanimous decision.
On August 25, 2012, Burkman faced Ultimate Fighter alumni Jamie Yager at Showdown Fights - Burkman vs. Yager. Burkman won via guillotine choke submission.
World Series of Fighting
On September 6, 2012, it was announced that Burkman was one of many fighters to sign on with new MMA Promotion the World Series of Fighting. He faced Gerald Harris on November 3, 2012 at WSOF 1 and won via unanimous decision.
Burkman faced Jon Fitch on June 14, 2013, at World Series of Fighting 3 in a rematch of their first fight in which Burkman lost to Fitch due to a rear naked choke. Burkman avenged his loss, dropping Fitch with a series of punches before applying a guillotine choke submission and getting the win in just 41 seconds of round number one.
Burkman faced Steve Carl on October 26, 2013 at WSOF 6 in the main event for the WSOF Welterweight Championship. He lost the fight via triangle choke in the fourth round. It was noted that Josh did tap out from the choke but the ref ignored the tap, allowing Steve Carl to choke Burkman until he lost consciousness.
Return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship
Burkman signed a contract to return to the UFC for the first time since 2008 on October 3, 2014. Burkman faced Hector Lombard on January 3, 2015 at UFC 182. He lost the fight by unanimous decision. Subsequently, it was revealed that Lombard failed his post-fight drug test. On March 23, 2015 it was announced by the NSAC that the result of the fight had been overturned to a no contest.
Burkman faced Patrick Côté on August 23, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 74. He lost the back and forth fight via TKO in the third round and both participants were awarded Fight of the Night honors.
Burkman was expected to face Bobby Green on October 1, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 96. However, Green pulled out of the fight citing an undisclosed injury. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Zak Ottow. As a result of the late notice opponent change, the bout was contested at welterweight. He lost the fight via split decision.
Championships & accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Fight of the Night (One time)
Burkman married Brandy Lyn Winfield, 2010 International Yoga Champion, on December 1, 2011. Together they have a son, Legend Burkman, who was born in 2012 and had a second son Atlas born January 13, 2015.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|46 matches||28 wins||17 losses|
|Loss||28–17 (1)||Alex Morono||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Medeiros||February 18, 2018||1||2:12||Austin, Texas, United States||Welterweight bout.|
|Loss||28–16 (1)||Drew Dober||KO (punch)||UFC 214||July 29, 2017||1||3:04||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Loss||28–15 (1)||Michel Prazeres||Submission (north-south choke)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum||March 11, 2017||1||1:42||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Loss||28–14 (1)||Zak Ottow||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs. Dodson||October 1, 2016||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States||Welterweight bout.|
|Loss||28–13 (1)||Paul Felder||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Garbrandt||May 29, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||28–12 (1)||K.J. Noons||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson||February 6, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lightweight debut.|
|Loss||27–12 (1)||Patrick Côté||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Oliveira||August 23, 2015||3||1:26||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||27–11 (1)||Dong Hyun Kim||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC 187||May 23, 2015||3||2:13||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|NC||27–10 (1)||Hector Lombard||NC (overturned)||UFC 182||January 3, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Originally a unanimous decision win for Lombard; overturned after he tested positive for anabolic steroids.|
|Win||27–10||Tyler Stinson||KO (punch)||WSOF 9||March 29, 2014||1||2:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||26–10||Steve Carl||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||WSOF 6||October 26, 2013||4||1:02||Coral Gables, Florida, United States||For the inaugural WSOF Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||26–9||Jon Fitch||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||WSOF 3||June 14, 2013||1||0:41||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||25–9||Aaron Simpson||KO (knee and punches)||WSOF 2||March 23, 2013||1||3:04||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||24–9||Gerald Harris||Decision (unanimous)||WSOF 1||November 3, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||23–9||Jamie Yager||Submission (guillotine choke)||Showdown Fights 8 – Burkman vs. Yager||August 25, 2012||2||3:25||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Win||22–9||Koffi Adzitso||Decision (unanimous)||Showdown Fights 6 – Breakout||February 24, 2012||3||5:00||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Loss||21–9||Jordan Mein||Decision (unanimous)||MMA 1: The Reckoning||April 2, 2011||3||5:00||Rama, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||21–8||Jordan Smith||Decision (split)||Showdown Fights 2 – Respect||September 24, 2010||3||5:00||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Win||20–8||Jake Paul||Decision (unanimous)||Showdown Fights 1 – Burkman vs. Paul||April 9, 2010||3||5:00||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Win||19–8||Brandon Melendez||KO (punch)||Throwdown Showdown 5||November 20, 2009||1||4:14||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Loss||18–8||Pete Sell||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 90||October 25, 2008||3||5:00||Rosemont, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||18–7||Dustin Hazelett||Submission (armbar)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs Team Forrest Finale||June 21, 2008||2||4:46||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||18–6||Mike Swick||Decision (majority)||UFC Fight Night: Swick vs. Burkman||January 23, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||18–5||Forrest Petz||Decision (split)||UFC 77||October 20, 2007||3||5:00||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||17–5||Karo Parisyan||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 71||May 26, 2007||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||17–4||Chad Reiner||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Evans vs. Salmon||January 25, 2007||3||5:00||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||16–4||Josh Neer||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 61||July 8, 2006||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||15–4||Jon Fitch||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night 4||April 6, 2006||2||4:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–3||Drew Fickett||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night 3||January 16, 2006||1||1:07||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–3||Sammy Morgan||KO (slam and elbows)||The Ultimate Fighter 2 Finale||November 5, 2005||1||0:21||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–3||Jeremy Horn||Technical Submission (choke)||XFC – Dome Of Destruction 1||April 29, 2005||1||1:14||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Win||13–2||Brian Wieber||TKO (punches)||IFC – Eve Of Destruction||March 5, 2005||1||2:36||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||12–2||Kyacey Uscola||Submission (rear-naked choke)||SF 4 – Fight For Freedom||June 26, 2004||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||11–2||Drew Ellisor||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Fighting Championship 1||May 1, 2004||3||5:00||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||10–2||Isidro Gonzalez||Submission (guillotine choke)||SF 2 – On the Move||March 19, 2004||1||1:58||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||9–2||Matt Horwich||Submission (triangle choke)||SF 1 – Revolution||February 21, 2004||2||2:11||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||9–1||Jeremy Brown||Decision||UCE – Winter Warrior Land – Episode 1||November 29, 2003||N/A||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||8–1||Derek Downey||Decision (unanimous)||UCE – Summer Series – Episode 4||August 30, 2003||3||3:00||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||7–1||Brian Garlick||Submission (choke)||UCE – Round 4 – Finals||July 12, 2003||2||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||6–1||Jeremy Brown||Submission (choke)||UCE – Round 4 – Semi-Finals||July 5, 2003||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||5–1||Matthew Bell||KO (punch)||UCE – Round 4 – Episode 4||June 28, 2003||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||4–1||Gedeon Jarvis||Submission (choke)||UCE – Round 3 – Finals||May 10, 2003||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||3–1||Hank Weiss||KO (punch)||UCE – Round 3 – Semi-Finals||May 3, 2003||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||2–1||Matt King||Submission (choke)||UCE – Round 3 – Episode 2||April 12, 2003||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||1–1||Cedric Nicholsen||Submission (choke)||UCE – Round 3 – Episode 1||April 5, 2003||1||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Hank Weiss||Submission (choke)||UCE – Round 2 – Episode 1||February 7, 2003||N/A||N/A||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 187 Johnson vs. Cormier". UFC.com. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Justin Bolduc. "Josh Burkman Ready for Reiner". Nokaut. Archived from the original on 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- Joe Myers (2010-09-22). "Burkman Explains Steroid Usage from a Fighter's Perspective". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-02-10.
- "Burkman Signs With The WSOF". Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (February 13, 2013). "WSOF 2 main card includes Burkman-Simpson, Branch-Filho, Cavalcante-Gaethje". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on February 16, 2013.
- "Burkman Stuns Fitch in 41 seconds with seriously tight submission". Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "WSOF 6 Gets Josh Burkman-Steve Carl Welterweight Title Headliner In Florida". Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "WSOF 6 results: Steve Carl downs Josh Burkman in fourth to claim belt". Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-10-03). "Welterweight Josh Burkman Returns to Octagon, Faces Hector Lombard at UFC 182". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- Matt Erickson and Brent Brookhouse (2015-03-23). "Hector Lombard suspended one year, fined, has UFC 182 win overturned by NSAC". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-24.
- Staff (2015-03-02). "Josh Burkman vs. Dong Hyun Kim added to May's blockbuster UFC 187 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-02.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-05-23). "UFC 187 results: Dong Hyun Kim pushes through rally to choke out Josh Burkman". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-06-24). "Rick Story vs. Erick Silva to serve as UFC Saskatoon co-main event; other fights added to card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Elias Cepeda (2015-08-23). "Patrick Cote stops Josh Burkman after back-and-forth scrap". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- Mike Sloan (2015-08-23). "UFC Fight Night Saskatoon bonuses: Cote, Burkman, Arantes, Perez nab $50K Awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- Staff (2015-12-13). "UFC Fight Night 82 adds Burkman-Noons". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-02-06). "UFC Fight Night 82 results: Josh Burkman gets unanimous decision sweep of K.J. Noons". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- Mike Bohn and Matt Erickson (2016-03-19). "UFC Fight Night 88 gets 8 new fights". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-05-29). "UFC Fight Night 88 results: Paul Felder bloodies up Josh Burkman, takes unanimous decision win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Staff (2016-08-01). "Josh Burkman vs. Bobby Green added to UFC Fight Night 96 in Portland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-09-20). "Zak Ottow in against Josh Burkman at UFC Fight Night 96". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Matt Erickson (2016-10-01). "UFC Fight Night 96 results: Short-notice underdog Zak Ottow takes split from Josh Burkman". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-01.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-12-29). "Josh Burkman vs. Michel Prazeres added to UFC Fight Night card in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-03-11). "UFC Fight Night 106 results: Michel Prazeres cruises past Josh Burkman for easy submission". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- John King (2017-05-25). "Josh Burkman meets Drew Dober at UFC 214". thesprawlmma.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "UFC 214 results: Drew Dober breaks Josh Burkman's guard for 1st-round knockout win". MMAjunkie. 2017-07-29. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "Joshua Burkman vs. Alex Morono added to UFC Fight Night 126 in Austin". MMAjunkie. 2018-02-07. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "UFC Fight Night 126 results: Alex Morono taps out Josh Burkman, calls out Diego Sanchez". MMAjunkie. 2018-02-18. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Burkman and Celeste". Retrieved 2007-05-17.
- "Through the eyes of the Underdog Part 1: Josh Burkman". Retrieved 2012-10-26.