Jundee Gold Mine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Jundee
Location
Jundee Gold Mine is located in Australia
Jundee Gold Mine
Jundee Gold Mine
Location in Australia
Location Wiluna
State Western Australia
Country Australia
Coordinates 26°20′S 120°38′E / 26.333°S 120.633°E / -26.333; 120.633Coordinates: 26°20′S 120°38′E / 26.333°S 120.633°E / -26.333; 120.633
Production
Production 412,300
Financial year 2009
History
Opened 1995
Owner
Company Northern Star Resources
Website Northern Star Website
Year of acquisition 2014

The Jundee Gold Mine is an active gold mine in Western Australia, approximately 55 km north east of the town of Wiluna, owned by Northern Star Resources.[1]

History[edit]

The Jundee mine was opened in 1995, originally as an open pit operation and, from 1997, also as an underground mine.[1]

Originally, the mine was owned to 51% by Great Central Mines, which acquired the remaining 49% in early 1995 for US$89 million, alongside 30% of the Bronzewing Gold Mine.[2]

In 1997, the Jundee mine was enlarged with the acquisition of the nearby Nimary Gold Mine, owned by the Eagle Mining Corporation NL.[3]

Great Central Mines, with Jundee, Bronzewing and the Wiluna Gold Mine, was taken over by Normandy Mining in June 2000 and Normandy, in turn, by the Newmont Mining Corporation in February 2002.[4][5] Newmont sold the operations to Northern Star Resources in 2014[6]

The mine was operating as an open pit and underground mine until 2007, when the last open pit closed. Newmont plans to return to open pit mining in 2010 if drilling results are positive.[7] Currently, the mine is scheduled to close in 2013 but Newmont hopes to extend the mine life.[8]

In 2007, the mine employed 552 people, in 2008 528, of which 155 were permanent staff and the rest contractors.[8]

Mining in the Wiluna-Leinster area.

Production[edit]

Year Production Grade Cost per ounce
1997-98 [9] 293,016 ounces 3.32 g/t A$327
1998-99 [10] 385,088 ounces 4.26 g/t US$186
2000 [11] 359,186 ounces 4.31 g/t A$350
2001 [11] 403,689 ounces 6.08 g/t A$262
2002 1 [11] 167,157 ounces 5.16 g/t A$320
2003
2004
2005 [12] 341,800 ounces
2006 [12] 305,400 ounces
2007 291,900 ounces 4.93 g/t
2008 376,900 ounces 6.83 g/t
2009 [13] 412,300 ounces
  • 1 Figures for January to June 2002.

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b Jundee, Western Australia Newmont website, accessed: 20 December 2009
  2. ^ Gold Mine Stakes Sold The New York Times, published: 6 February 1995, accessed: 19 December 2009
  3. ^ Charles Bennett Bass - Director of Eagle Mining Corporation NL aquilaresources.com.au, accessed: 15 February 2010
  4. ^ "View Acquires Bronzewing" (PDF). View Resources Limited website. 15 June 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-16. 
  5. ^ View Project Owners: Jundee - Nimary Archived 2008-09-11 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 19 December 2009
  6. ^ http://www.newmont.com/newsroom/newsroom-details/2014/Newmont-Completes-Sale-of-Jundee-Underground-Gold-Mine-in-Australia/default.aspx
  7. ^ The Asia Pacific Region Newmont website, accessed: 20 December 2009
  8. ^ a b Beyond the mine Newmont website, published: 2009, accessed: 20 December 2009
  9. ^ Fourth Quarter Activities Report - Part B GMC ASX announcement, published: 30 July 1998, accessed: 14 February 2010
  10. ^ Normandy Mining Ltd - 1999 Mine-by-Mine Operating Results accessed: 14 February 2010
  11. ^ a b c The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, page 96 Cite error: Invalid <ref> tag; name "handbook" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
  12. ^ a b Fourth Quarter and 2006 Results Newmont ASX announcement, published:23 February 2007, accessed: 20 December 2009
  13. ^ 2009 Annual report Newmont website, accessed: 9 May 2010

External links[edit]