Mount Morgans Gold Mine
|Company||Dacian Gold Ltd|
|Year of acquisition||2012|
The Mt Morgans mine is owned and operated by Dacian Gold ltd, who acquired the project in 2012.
Gold was discovered at Mount Morgans in 1896 and, up until 1952, 328,000 ounces of gold at 15 g/t were produced, mostly in underground mining at the Westralia deposit. Alf Morgans, later to become Premier of Western Australia for just 32 days, was responsible for the development of the Mount Morgans mineral field.
In a second activities period, from 1988 to 1997, the mine produced 917,000 ounces at 3.2 g/t, now mostly from open pit operations. Mining at Mount Morgans ceased in 1998. The processing plant of the mine was later removed.
The current site, was originally owned by Plutonic Resources, a major Australian gold mining and exploration company. Homestake Mining Company purchased Plutonic in April 1998 for more than $1.0 billion, and, in turn, Homestake was acquiered by Barrick Gold at the end of 2001. Barrick then sold the mine to Range River Gold in May 2009.
After the purchase of the mine, Range River concentrated its efforts at the deposits of The Craic and Transvaal. Range River Gold went into voluntary administration in April 2011. The project was then purchased by a private entity from the administrators that listed as Dacian Gold Limited on the ASX in November 2012. Since 2012 Dacian Gold has identified a 1.2 million ounce reserve. First Gold production is scheduled for early 2018.
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, Louthean Media Pty Ltd, Editor: Ross Louthean
- Western Australian Mineral and Petroleum Statistics Digest 2008 Page 34: Principal Mineral and Petroleum Producers - Gold
- Sykes, Trevor (12 September 2015). "Old Mines Can Be Made New Again". Pierpont. Australian Financial Review. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- Mt Morgans flyer Range River Gold website, accessed: 6 January 2010
- Morgans, Alfred Edward (1850 - 1933) Australian Dictionary of Biography, Online edition, accessed: 6 January 2010
- PLUTONIC RESOURCES LIMITED (PLU) delisted.com.au, accessed: 1 January 2010
- Atlantic Gold NL website Archived 2009-12-12 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 1 January 2009
- Homestake Mining Company - History accessed: 1 January 2009
- MINEDEX website Archived 2008-09-11 at the Wayback Machine. Plutonic search result, accessed: 5 January 2010
- Completion of acquisition of Mt Morgans project Range River Gold ASX announcement, published: 21 May 2009, accessed: 6 January 2010