Just for Men
Just For Men hair color product packaging
|Produced by||Combe Incorporated|
|Markets||Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, India, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and United States|
Just for Men is a hair coloring product designed for and marketed to men and manufactured by Combe Incorporated. Just for Men is designed to color gray hair, with additional product lines for coloring gray hair in beards, sideburns, and mustaches, and the Touch of Gray product is intended for gradual hair coloring. Just For Men comes in Light brown, Medium brown, Dark brown, Real Black, Dark Blond, Sandy Blond (in Canada) and Jet Black. Red and light blond are currently not offered.
Ingredients include Ethoxydiglycol (an organic solvent), oleyl alcohol, vegetable fatty acid, Ethanolamine (solvent and alkalizer), erythorbic acid (antioxidant and sunscreen), Trisodium EDTA (protects the other ingredients against water-born copper), Polyquaterium-22 (polymer conditioner), p-Aminophenol and p-Phenylenediamine (reactive coloring agents), Resorcinol, and Hydrogen Peroxide.
The product is available in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, India, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. In the United States, the product sells for less than $10 per pack, which can last from one to six weeks; reviews are generally good, averaging 3.5-4.5 stars on highly reviewed items.
One of the active ingredients is PPD, p-Phenylenediamine, which can cause a reaction in some people. Studies have shown that less than 5% of the population may experience some allergy, which can range from minor irritation, rashes and swelling to burning, though severe reactions are rare. Manufacturer directions instruct users to do a 48-hour skin allergy test prior to use to detect and avoid any reactions. PPD was voted Allergen of the Year in 2006 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society. Henna based products are a non-permanent alternative, though come with similar allergy risks of their own.
Just for Men television advertising in the United States features sports celebrities Walt Frazier and Keith Hernandez as sportscasters, whose ads have aired for over five and a half years. A January 2008 spot had them visiting a grey-bearded Emmitt Smith in an NFL style nursing home where Frazier proclaims "Your 'stache is trash!" and "The beard is weird!"
- "What’s Inside: ‘Just for Men’ Hair Color". WIRED. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Just for Men Mustache, Beard and Sideburns Brush In Color Gel, Dark Brown - Walmart.com". Walmart.com. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Just For Men Original Formula Men's Hair Color, Light Brown (Pack of 3)". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
-  PubMed.gov, Contact Dermatitis. 2013 Jul;69(1):32-9. doi: 10.1111/cod.12077
- "'Just For Men' Hair Dye Users Report Allergic Reactions". www.newstribune.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- Hughes, Sali (2011-11-28). "Could your hair dye kill you?". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Paraphenylenediamine & hair dye contact allergy. DermNet NZ". www.dermnetnz.org. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "FAQ - Just For Men". Just For Men. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- DeLeo, Vincent A. (2006). "Contact Allergen of the Year: p-Phenylenediamine". Dermatitis. 17 (2): 53–55.
- "Health notes: The curb-the-carbs life-changer". Mail Online. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- Just For Men - Running Back Rest Home commercial SplendAd.com (January 2008) Retrieved February 2, 2008.
- Sandomir, Richard Just for Men Just Right for Former Stars The New York Times (January 8, 2008). Retrieved February 2, 2008.