K. V. Sarma
|K. V. Venkateswara Sarma|
|Born||22 December 1919
|Fields||History of astronomy and mathematics|
|Alma mater||Maharaja's College of Science and Majaraja's College of Arts, Thiruvananthapuram|
|Known for||Seminal contributions to the history of astronomy and mathematics in Kerala|
K. V. Venkateswara Sarma (1919–2005) was an Indian historian of science, particularly the astronomy and mathematics of the Kerala school. His doctoral thesis was at the Panjab University in 1977. He was responsible for bringing to light several of the achievements of the Kerala school. He was editor of the Vishveshvaranand Indological Research Series, and published the critical edition of several source works in Sanskrit, including the Aryabhatiya of Aryabhata. He was recognised as "the greatest authority on Kerala's astronomical tradition".
He was the author of several entries in the Encyclopaedia of the history of science, technology, and medicine in non-western cultures. As of 1994, he was the author of more than 60 books, and 145 research papers, in addition to other academic writing on Sanskrit and Indology. He continued publishing well into his late eighties, his last book being Science Texts in Sanskrit in Manuscripts Repositories of Kerala and Tamil Nadu, published in 2003. He died on 13 January 2005, having just completed English translations (see Ganita-yukti-bhasa) of the Yuktibhāṣā of Jyesthadeva and the Tantrasangraha of Nilakantha Somayaji.
Some important works
- K.V. Sarma (1972), A history of the Kerala school of Hindu astronomy (in perspective), Hoshiarpur: Vishveshvaranand Institute
- K.V. Sarma (1972), A bibliography of Kerala and Kerala-based astronomy and astrology, Hoshiarpur: Vishveshvaranand Institute
- K.V. Sarma (1975), Līlāvatī of Bhāskarācārya with Kriyākramakarī of Śaṅkara and Nārāyaṇa. Being an Elaborate Exposition of the Rationale of Hindu Mathematics. Critically edited with Introduction and Appendices, Hoshiarpur: Vishveshvaranand Institute. Review
- K.V. Sarma (1990), Observational astronomy in India, Dept. of Sanskrit, University of Calicut
- Shukla, K.S.; Sarma, K.V. (1976), Āryabhaṭīya of Āryabhaṭa, New Delhi: the Indian National Science Academy
Complete bibliography of the writings of K. V. Sarma
The complete bibliography of the writings of K. V. Sarma on Indian culture, science and literature has been compiled by S. A. S. Sarma and published by Sri Sarada Education Society Research Centre, Adayar, Chennaai, in 2000. This runs to about 60 pages. The bibliography is available at the following link:
- Sarma, K. V., Doctoral thesis, Panjab University, 1977.
- Divakaran, P. P. (2007-12-08), "The First Textbook of Calculus: Yuktibhāṣā" (PDF), Journal of Indian Philosophy, 35 (5): 417–443, doi:10.1007/s10781-007-9029-1: "The late K. V. Sarma, whose efforts more than of anyone else brought the main texts of Kerala mathematics and astronomy to the attention of the scholarly world, had completed (in association with M. D. Srinivas, M. S. Sriram and K. Ramasubramanian) an English translation of both parts of YB at the time of his death in January 2005, but it is yet to appear."
- Shukla & Sarma 1976
- K. Chandra Hari, Critical Evidence to Fix the Native Place of Āryabhat̟a-I, Current Science Vol.93, 8, 25 Oct 2007
- Selin, Helaine, ed. (1997), Encyclopaedia of the history of science, technology, and medicine in non-western cultures, Springer, ISBN 978-0-7923-4066-9
- Kim Plofker, Obituary notice in the Bulletin of the Canadian Society for History and Philosophy of Mathematics