Kendale Lakes, Florida
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||8.61 sq mi (22.29 km2)|
|• Land||8.07 sq mi (20.91 km2)|
|• Water||0.53 sq mi (1.38 km2)|
|Elevation||8 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||6,891.15/sq mi (2,660.72/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
33175, 33183 (Miami)
|Area code(s)||305, 786, 645|
|GNIS feature ID||1867158|
Kendale Lakes is a census-designated place (CDP) and a suburb of Miami in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. It is located in the Miami metropolitan area of South Florida. The population was 55,646 at the 2020 census.
Kendale Lakes (and all of West Kendall) once had a large Miami Jewish population; many prominent attorneys lived there throughout the mid and late 70s. It was truly a bedroom community up until the mid to late 80s.
El Dorado Blvd was once a walk-through outdoor mall with many mom and pop stores called the Kendale Lakes Mall. It was a destination for locals and had many specialty shops like Second Skin, Smatt Bootery, Sentry Drugs, Mightiest Mortals and restaurants like Fiesta Tacos, The Carvery, Cozzoli's Pizza, Tiger Tea House and Burns Bakery to name but a few. Kendale Lakes Mall remains a source of nostalgia for many locals who grew up in the area during the late 1970s and 1980s.
The Kendale Lakes Country Club was bought by the Miccosukee tribe. It originally was an amenity offered to local homeowners. It is still surrounded by tree lined streets - a canopy of trees and lush green lawns. Coral rocks cover a moat which is located around its circumference, and it is dotted with lakes. At one time there was a small sandy beach and picnic area and pier which is now closed. There are remnants of the old pier. There were two pools at the country club (one for family and one for adults only) including an Olympic size pool, replaced now by a volleyball court.
Kendale Lakes is located 15 miles (24 km) west-southwest of downtown Miami at (25.708464, -80.411610). It is bordered to the north by Tamiami, to the northeast by Westwood Lakes, to the southeast by Kendall, to the south by The Crossings, to the southwest by The Hammocks, and to the west by Kendall West.
The Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike forms the eastern edge of Kendale Lakes, with access from Exits 20 and 23. The highway leads north and east 24 miles (39 km) to Florida's Turnpike between Miramar and Miami Gardens, and south 22 miles (35 km) to its end at U.S. Route 1 in Florida City.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Kendale Lakes CDP has a total area of 8.6 square miles (22 km2), of which 8.1 square miles (21 km2) are land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), or 6.19%, are water.
2010 and 2020 census
|Race||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|Black or African American (NH)||631||537||1.12%||0.97%|
|Native American or Alaska Native (NH)||14||7||0.02%||0.01%|
|Pacific Islander or Native Hawaiian (NH)||1||6||0.00%||0.01%|
|Some other race (NH)||50||171||0.09%||0.31%|
|Two or more races/Multiracial (NH)||210||407||0.37%||0.73%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||48,584||49,522||86.53%||88.99%|
As of 2000, 42.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.6% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.1% were non-families. 13.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.13 and the average family size was 3.40.
In 2000, the CDP the population was spread out, with 25.6% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 23.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.2 males.
In 2000, the median income for a household in the CDP was $44,156, and the median income for a family was $46,001. Males had a median income of $30,754 versus $26,134 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,592. About 8.7% of families and 10.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.8% of those under age 18 and 10.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Bent Tree Elementary School
- Kendale Lakes Elementary School - Kendale Lakes Elementary is located on SW 80th Street and SW 142nd Avenue in the Kendale Lakes Park, just south of the Kendale Lakes Golf Course. The students are known as the Kendale Lakes Tigers, although previously, they were the Sailboats.
- Royal Green Elementary School
Charter and private schools
- Archimedean Schools (K-12), including Archimedean Upper Conservatory
- Somerset Palms Academy (K-8)
- Academir Preparatory Academy (elementary)
- Calusa Preparatory School (K-12)
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami operates Catholic schools. Good Shepherd School (K-8) is in Kendale Lakes.
- "2022 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Florida". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2023.
- "P1. Race – Kendale Lakes CDP, Florida: 2020 DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 9, 2023.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE - 2010: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) - Kendale Lakes CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE - 2020: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) - Kendale Lakes CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau.
- "S1101 HOUSEHOLDS AND FAMILIES - 2020: Kendale Lakes CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau.
- "S1101 HOUSEHOLDS AND FAMILIES - 2010: Kendale Lakes CDP, Florida". United States Census Bureau.
- "MLA Data Center Results of Kendale Lakes, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved November 6, 2007.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Kendale Lakes CDP, FL" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 6, 2020. - Compare this map to school addresses to confirm the locations.
- "Contact Us". Bent Tree Elementary School. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
4861 SW 140TH AVENUE MIAMI, FL 33175
- "Contact Us". Kendale Lakes Elementary School. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
8000 S.W. 142 AVENUE MIAMI, FL 33183
- "Contact Us". Royal Green Elementary School. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
13047 SOUTHWEST 47TH STREET MIAMI, FL, 33175
- "Ethel Koger Beckham K-8 Center". Miami-Dade County Public Schools. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
4702 SW 143RD COURT MIAMI, FL 33175- Compare the address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Winston Park K-8 Center. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
13200 SW 79th St. Miami, FL 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Howard D. McMillan Middle School. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
13100 SW 59th Street Miami, Florida 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Miami Sunset Senior High School. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
13125 SW 72 Street Miami, FL 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Archimedean Upper Conservatory". Archimedean Schools. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
ARCHIMEDEAN SCHOOLS 12425 Sunset Dr, Miami, FL 33183, USA- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Contact". Somerset Palms Academy. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
Address: 12001 SW 72nd St. Miami, FL 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Academir Preparatory Academy. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
5800 SW 135th Ave.- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Contact Us". Calusa Preparatory School. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
12515 Southwest 72nd Street, Miami, FL, 33183
- "Home". Good Shepherd Catholic School. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
14187 SW 72nd St. Miami, FL 33183- Compare this address to the CDP map.
- "2000 Census Block Map: Kendale Lakes CDP" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 10, 2020. - Compare with the school's full street address and location.
- Berger, Ellis (April 6, 2001). "SEX ABUSE ALLEGED AT HOLY CROSS ACADEMY". South Florida Sun Sentinel. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
Holy Cross campus, 12425 SW 72nd St.
- Rodriguez, Ihosvani (February 11, 2005). "Ex-monastery student guilty in nun's slaying". South Florida Sun Sentinel. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
[...]causing the school to shut down last year.[2005 is the current article year, so this would be 2004]