Kendale Lakes, Florida
Kendale Lakes, Florida
|• Total||8.61 sq mi (22.29 km2)|
|• Land||8.07 sq mi (20.91 km2)|
|• Water||0.53 sq mi (1.38 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
|• Density||6,891.15/sq mi (2,660.72/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867158|
Kendale Lakes (and all of West Kendall) once had a large Miami Jewish population; many prominent attorneys lived there throughout the mid and late 70s. It was truly a bedroom community up until the mid to late 80s. The portion east of 142 Av and between Sunset Dr and N Kendall Dr was built by Janis homes c. 1970; the portion west of 142 Av. was built by Caravel homes around 1973-74.
El Dorado Blvd was once a walk-through outdoor mall with many mom and pop stores called the Kendale Lakes Mall. It was a destination for locals and had many specialty shops like Second Skin, Smatt Bootery, Sentry Drugs, Mightiest Mortals and restaurants like Fiesta Tacos, The Carvery, Cozzoli's Pizza, Tiger Tea House and Burns Bakery to name but a few. It has always been a megaplex (450,000 square feet with one anchor mall and two strip malls and a roller skating rink on its eastern/northern periphery) and was the only built upon area west of 137 Av.
The southeast corner of 137 Av. was where Don Carter's Bowling Alley was located, now called Carter Plaza. Mike's Pizza and Marino's Pizza are two long time local favorites which remain open for business in Kendale Lakes. K-Mart is the only store which remains open from the original Kendale Lakes Mall which was one of the former mall's anchor stores. The other anchor store was Luria's. Kendale Lakes Mall remains a source of nostalgia for many locals who grew up in the area during the late 1970s and 1980s.
The Kendale Lakes Country Club was bought by the Miccosukee tribe. It originally was an amenity offered to local homeowners. It is still surrounded by tree lined streets - a canopy of trees and lush green lawns. Coral rocks cover a moat which is located around its circumference and it is dotted with lakes. At one time there was a small sandy beach and picnic area and pier which is now closed. There are remnants of the old pier. There were two pools at the country club (one for family and one for adults only) including an Olympic size pool, replaced now by a volleyball court.
Kendale Lakes is located at (25.708464, -80.411610).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.6 square miles (22 km2), of which, 8.2 square miles (21 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (5.00%) is water.
|Black or African American (NH)||537||0.97%|
|Native American or Alaska Native (NH)||7||0.01%|
|Pacific Islander (NH)||6||0.01%|
|Some Other Race (NH)||171||0.31%|
|Hispanic or Latino||49,522||88.99%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 55,646 people, 17,698 households, and 14,143 families residing in the CDP.
|Kendale Lakes Demographics|
|2010 Census||Kendale Lakes||Miami-Dade County||Florida|
|Population, percent change, 2000 to 2010||-1.3%||+10.8%||+17.6%|
|Population density||6,933.3/sq mi||1,315.5/sq mi||350.6/sq mi|
|White or Caucasian (including White Hispanic)||92.1%||73.8%||75.0%|
|(Non-Hispanic White or Caucasian)||10.6%||15.4%||57.9%|
|Black or African-American||2.2%||18.9%||16.0%|
|Hispanic or Latino (of any race)||86.5%||65.0%||22.5%|
|Native American or Native Alaskan||0.1%||0.2%||0.4%|
|Pacific Islander or Native Hawaiian||0.0%||0.0%||0.1%|
|Two or more races (Multiracial)||1.8%||2.4%||2.5%|
|Some Other Race||2.6%||3.2%||3.6%|
As of 2010, there were 19,185 households, with 4.7% being vacant. As of 2000, 42.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.6% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.1% were non-families. 13.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.13 and the average family size was 3.40.
In 2000, the CDP the population was spread out, with 25.6% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 31.0% from 25 to 44, 23.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.2 males.
In 2000, the median income for a household in the CDP was $44,156, and the median income for a family was $46,001. Males had a median income of $30,754 versus $26,134 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,592. About 8.7% of families and 10.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.8% of those under age 18 and 10.5% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, Kendale Lakes had the thirteenth highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, with 38.58% of the populace. It had the thirteenth highest percentage of Colombian residents in the US, at 6.36% of the population, and the sixth highest percentage of Nicaraguan residents in the US, at 4.59% of its population. It also had the twenty-fourth most Peruvians in the US, at 2.03%, while it had the ninth highest percentage of Venezuelans, at 1.54% of all residents. It's also home to the 107th highest percentage of Dominicans in the US, at 1.51% of all residents (tied with Babylon, New York.)
- Bent Tree Elementary School
- Kendale Lakes Elementary School - Kendale Lakes Elementary is located on SW 80th Street and SW 142nd Avenue in the Kendale Lakes Park, just south of the Kendale Lakes Golf Course. The students are known as the Kendale Lakes Tigers, although previously, they were the Sailboats.
- Royal Green Elementary School
Charter and private schools
- Archimedean Schools (K-12), including Archimedean Upper Conservatory
- Somerset Palms Academy (K-8)
- Academir Preparatory Academy (elementary)
- Calusa Preparatory School (K-12)
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami operates Catholic schools. Good Shepherd School (K-8) is in Kendale Lakes.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 31, 2021.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2022-02-09.
- "MLA Data Center Results of Kendale Lakes, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ancestry Map of Cuban Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ancestry Map of Colombian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ancestry Map of Nicaraguan Communities". Epodunk.com. Archived from the original on 2010-10-17. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ancestry Map of Peruvian Communities". Epodunk.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ancestry Map of Venezuelan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ancestry Map of Dominican Communities". Epodunk.com. Archived from the original on 2010-10-17. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Kendale Lakes CDP, FL" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2020-05-06. - Compare this map to school addresses to confirm the locations.
- "Contact Us". Bent Tree Elementary School. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
4861 SW 140TH AVENUE MIAMI, FL 33175
- "Contact Us". Kendale Lakes Elementary School. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
8000 S.W. 142 AVENUE MIAMI, FL 33183
- "Contact Us". Royal Green Elementary School. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
13047 SOUTHWEST 47TH STREET MIAMI, FL, 33175
- "Ethel Koger Beckham K-8 Center". Miami-Dade County Public Schools. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
4702 SW 143RD COURT MIAMI, FL 33175- Compare the address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Winston Park K-8 Center. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
13200 SW 79th St. Miami, FL 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Howard D. McMillan Middle School. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
13100 SW 59th Street Miami, Florida 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Miami Sunset Senior High School. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
13125 SW 72 Street Miami, FL 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Archimedean Upper Conservatory". Archimedean Schools. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
ARCHIMEDEAN SCHOOLS 12425 Sunset Dr, Miami, FL 33183, USA- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Contact". Somerset Palms Academy. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
Address: 12001 SW 72nd St. Miami, FL 33183- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Home". Academir Preparatory Academy. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
5800 SW 135th Ave.- Compare address to the CDP map.
- "Contact Us". Calusa Preparatory School. Retrieved 2020-05-07.
12515 Southwest 72nd Street, Miami, FL, 33183
- "Home". Good Shepherd Catholic School. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
14187 SW 72nd St. Miami, FL 33183- Compare this address to the CDP map.
- "2000 Census Block Map: Kendale Lakes CDP" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2020-05-10. - Compare with the school's full street address and location.
- Berger, Ellis (2001-04-06). "SEX ABUSE ALLEGED AT HOLY CROSS ACADEMY". South Florida Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 2020-05-09.
Holy Cross campus, 12425 SW 72nd St.
- Rodriguez, Ihosvani (2005-02-11). "Ex-monastery student guilty in nun's slaying". South Florida Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 2020-05-09.
[...]causing the school to shut down last year.[2005 is the current article year, so this would be 2004]