Richmond West, Florida
Richmond West, Florida
U.S. Census Bureau map showing CDP boundaries
|• Total||4.3 sq mi (11 km2)|
|• Land||4.2 sq mi (10.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||6,530.7/sq mi (2,552.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1853280|
Richmond West is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.3 square miles (11 km2), of which, 4.2 square miles (11 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.11%) is water.
On September 15, 1945, the Homestead hurricane caused an estimated $50,000,000-worth of damage, impacting the area. Nearly half of the financial loss happened at the Richmond Naval Air Station, where winds ignited a fire at three hangars, destroying 25 blimps, 366 planes, and 150 automobiles. Across the state of Florida, the passage of the hurricane resulted in 1,632 destroyed houses, with an additional 5,372 damaged. Four people were killed in the state of Florida, and an additional 43 people were injured.
In August 1992, Dadeland Mobile Home park and the surrounding south Miami-Dade area were severely damaged by Hurricane Andrew. Many of the homes and businesses in the area were completely destroyed. In subsequent years, the area was gradually rebuilt.
As of the census of 2000, there were 28,082 people, 7,833 households, and 7,175 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,720.5 people per square mile (2,593.9/km2). There were 8,188 housing units at an average density of 1,959.5/sq mi (756.3/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 78.33% White (18.8% were Non-Hispanic White,) 8.51% African American, 0.21% Native American, 2.29% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 6.49% from other races, and 4.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 70.02% of the population.
There were 7,833 households out of which 59.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.7% were married couples living together, 11.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 8.4% were non-families. 4.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 0.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.59 and the average family size was 3.69.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 32.9% under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 38.5% from 25 to 44, 16.0% from 45 to 64, and 5.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $59,608, and the median income for a family was $59,551. Males had a median income of $36,589 versus $26,896 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $18,544. About 3.9% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.7% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, Richmond West had the seventeenth-highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, with 29.30% of the population. Richmond West had the 130th-highest percentage of Puerto Rican residents in the US, at 7.28% of the population, and the twenty-first-highest percentage of Colombian residents in the US, at 5.13% of its population. Richmond West also had the seventh-most Nicaraguan residents in the US, at 4.19%, while it had the fifty-fourth-highest percentage of Dominican residents, at 2.48% of all residents. Richmond West's Jamaican community had the forty-first-highest percentage of residents, which was at 3.20%, while Richmond West's Peruvian residents had the twenty-eighth-highest percentage in the US, which made up 1.80% (tied with North Miami Beach.) It is also home to the twelfth-highest percentage of Venezuelan residents in the US, at 1.36% of the population.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Hurricane Sweeps US East Coast". United Newsreel Corporation. YouTube. 1945.
- Sumner, H.C. (1946). "Hurricanes and Tropical Disturbances of 1945" (PDF). U.S. Weather Bureau. Retrieved May 3, 2007.
- "Demographics of Richmond West, Florida". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "MLA Data Center Results of Richmond West, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Cuban Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Puerto Rican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Colombian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Nicaraguan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Dominican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Jamaican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Peruvian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.
- "Ancestry Map of Venezuelan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved November 9, 2007.