Kim Jones (designer)
|Born||Kim Niklas Jones|
11 September 1973
Hammersmith, London, England
|Residence||London, Paris, France|
|Education||Central Saint Martins|
University of the Arts London
|Years active||2003 - present|
He launched his eponymous brand in 2003 and in 2005 showed as part of the first season of MAN in conjunction with Fashion East, showcasing a short fashion film. Other presentations have varied from films with Alasdair McLellen and Toyin, to a book with American art photographer Luke Smalley.
Alongside his own brand he collaborated or worked with a wide range of other brands during this period, including Hugo Boss, Topman, Umbro, Mulberry, Iceberg and Kanye West's Pastelle, before being appointed as Creative Director for British men’s luxury goods brand Alfred Dunhill in 2008.
Jones has contributed both as Stylist and Art Director for magazines including Dazed & Confused, Arena Homme +, Another Magazine, the New York Times T Style magazine, 10 Men, V Man, i-D magazine, Numero Homme and Fantastic Man. He has also contributed womenswear styling for V and POP magazines. The Face magazine named him as one of the top 100 influential people in fashion, at number 20.
In 2011, Jones was named the new style director of the men’s ready-to-wear division at Louis Vuitton, replacing Paul Helbers who held the position for five years.
On January 17, 2018 it was announced that Jones would be leaving Vuitton as men’s artistic director, after showing his final collection, A/W18, the following day.
On March 19, 2018 Kim Jones was announced as creative director of Dior Homme, replacing Kris Van Assche. Prior to his first Dior Homme show it was confirmed that he had designed the morning suit worn by David Beckham at Prince Harry's wedding on 19 May 2018. Jones debuted his first collection for Dior Homme in June 2018 at Men’s Fashion Week in Paris.
- 'Umbro by Kim Jones', photographed by Alasdair McLellen, self-published, 2006
- Short film ‘Everywhere’ with Alasdair McLellen, for London Fashion Week February 2006
- Short film ‘Poplife’ with Will Davidson, for showstudio.com Spring/Summer 2006
- A womenswear collection for Isetan Tokyo 120th anniversary alongside Visionaire and Comme des Garçons
- Exhibition at the Museum of London, “The London Look – fashion from the street to catwalk,” October 2004
- ‘Kim Jones’ by Luke Smalley, published by Twin Palms, 2004
- Short film with Toyin for the launch of the Autumn/Winter 2003 collection edited by Andrew Daffy
- Short film, “Raphi” with Toyin, for showstudio.com
Awards and honours
- 2009 British Fashion Awards - Menswear Designer Of The Year, Kim Jones for Dunhill.
- 2006 British Fashion Awards - Menswear Designer Of The Year
- Topshop New Generation Award, twice winner
- Dazed and Confused/Egg Bursary
- GQ Magazine – 3 nominations for “Man Of The Year” Awards two years running
- Elle Style Awards – 3 nominations
- Arena magazine- menswear design award nominee
- "Kim Jones - Interview Magazine". Interview Magazine. 2016-05-09. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "33 things you need to know about kim jones, dior homme's new creative director". I-d. 2018-03-22. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- Jones, Kim. "For the Moment | Kim Jones". T Magazine. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Kim Jones Named New Artistic Director at Dior Homme". Harper's BAZAAR. 2018-03-19. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "Christopher Bailey named best designer of the year at British Fashion". The Independent. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- Vogue. "THE 2006 WINNERS". Retrieved 2018-09-03.