Kris Van Assche
Kris Van Assche
|Born||12 May 1976|
|Education||Académie royale des beaux-arts d'Anvers, Fashion and Design|
Dior Homme, Berluti
Kris Van Assche (born 12 May 1976) is a Belgian fashion designer. He was the creative director of Berluti ( 2018-2021), a luxury leather brand of LVMH. And was artistic director for Dior Homme (2007-2018).
After graduating Van Assche moved to Paris in 1998. He was immediately appointed at Yves Saint Laurent as Hedi Slimane's first assistant for the Rive Gauche Homme line. The collaboration with Slimane continued at Christian Dior for the launching and development of the Dior Homme collection until September 2004. In January 2005, Van Assche finally presented his own men's collection for the first time in Paris during Men's Fashion Week. He subsequently served as the artistic director for Dior Homme from April 2007 to March 2018.
In addition to his work at Dior, Van Assche founded his own label. In June 2013, he opened the first KRISVANASSCHE boutique in Paris. Designed by Ciguë, it was located in the 1st arrondissement, at 16 rue Saint Roch. In late May 2015, after several years of collections often judged as irrelevant by the critics and a style outdated by the new Londoner designers (such as JW Anderson or Christopher Shannon), Van Assche announced that he was closing his personal label for the time being, due to the difficulties of being an independent label.
In April 2018, Van Assche was confirmed as the new creative director at luxury brand Berluti, another LVMH company, following the departure of Haider Ackermann. His debut Berluti collection was released January 2019.
For the 2019 Design Miami fair, Van Assche joined forces with art dealer François Laffanour to present a collection of 17 original Pierre Jeanneret furniture pieces, restored by Laffanour and upholstered with Berluti’s emblematic Venezia leather.
On 21 April 2021, Kris Van Assche announced on his Instagram that his departure from the brand as its artistic director. He also said that during 3 years time in Berluti had been extremely intense especially in COVID period.
- Eric Wilson (March 30, 2007), Dior Replaces Its Men’s Wear Designer New York Times.
- Sarah White (March 19, 2018), LVMH's Christian Dior says menswear designer Van Assche to leave Reuters.
- Nick Carvell. "Talking shop with Kris Van Assche".
- Josh Davis. "KRISVANASSCHE To Open First Boutique in Paris".
- Suzy Menkes. "Beauty From the Bellicose".
- Miles Socha. "Kris Van Assche Shutters Own Label".
- Lauren Milligan. "Kris Van Assche Closes Label".
- Sudip Kar-Gupta (April 3, 2018), LVMH names Van Assche as new Berluti artistic director Reuters.
- "Kris Van Assche On His Debut At Berluti". British Vogue.
- "Kris Van Assche is luxury menswear's hopeful romantic". Document Journal. May 10, 2019.
- Nick Vinson (November 8, 2019), Berluti delivers colour and care to revive Pierre Jeanneret’s Chandigarh furniture Wallpaper.
- Evans, Christina Ohly (September 11, 2015). "Kris Van Assche talks personal taste: Part Two". howtospendit.ft.com.
- Johnston, Robert (November 5, 2012). "The Artist". British GQ. Archived from the original on November 7, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.