Kranji MRT station
Exit A of Kranji MRT station.
|Location||960 Woodlands Road|
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
|Opened||10 February 1996|
Kranji MRT station (NS7) is an above-ground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station on the North South Line in Sungei Kadut, Singapore. Situated along Woodlands Road, it is the nearest station to the Singapore Turf Club and currently the only MRT station to be located within Sungei Kadut planning area. Cross-border bus connections to Johor Bahru, Malaysia are available from this station. SBS Transit bus services 160, 170, 170X and Causeway Link CW1 shuttles commuters from Woodlands Road to JB Sentral and Larkin via the Johor-Singapore Causeway.
When the North South Line Woodlands Extension was proposed in 1990, Kranji MRT station was not included on this planned route. It was later included as a provisional station to be built at a later stage. However, the government later decided to construct this station as part of the extension and also to serve the Singapore Turf Club On 30 September 1991, the piece of land which is now the Turf Club was acquired for the construction of this station. On 15 July 1992, rock blasting has occurred at the Woodlands MRT extension. This station opened on 10 February 1996 alongside the rest of the Woodlands Extension.
Following numerous incidents of commuters falling on the tracks and unauthorized intrusions, the Land Transport Authority made the decision in 2008 to install half height platform screen doors (HHPSD) for all above-ground stations in phases. HHPSDs started operating on 14 March 2012, the last set of gates on the system to go operational. All the elevated MRT stations have Half-height Platform Screen Doors in operation with effect from 14 March 2012.
This station was installed with high-volume low-speed fans, which commenced operations on 27 November 2012 together with Yew Tee. Cash top-ups are no longer accepted at passenger service centres from 1 May 2018, at Kranji MRT station.
- Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala (November 10, 2003). "Woodlands MRT line". National Library Board Singapore. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala (November 11, 2003). "Kranji MRT station". National Library Board Singapore. Archived from the original on December 31, 2013. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- Wong, Siew Ying (January 26, 2008). "Above-ground MRT stations to have platform screen doors by 2012". Channel NewsAsia. Archived from the original on July 30, 2012. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- CNA (March 14, 2012). "LTA completes installing elevated MRT station screen doors early". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "Enhancing Connectivity and Comfort for Commuters". Land Transport Authority. 13 October 2011. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Min Zhang, Lim (31 August 2017). "11 train stations will no longer accept cash-top ups at counters from Sept 1". The Straits Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kranji MRT Station.|
|This Singapore MRT-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|