Crystal blue waters of Ksamil
|• Municipal unit||2,994|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Ksamil (Albanian: Ksamili; Greek: Εξαμίλι) is a village and a former municipality in the riviera of Southern Albania, and part of Butrint National Park. At the 2015 local government reform it became a subdivision of the municipality Sarandë. The population at the 2011 census was 2,994. The municipal unit consists of the villages Ksamil and Manastir. During the communist era the proper coastal village was built in 1966 and is located south of the city of Sarandë off the road to Butrint.
Ksamil is one of the most frequented coastal resorts by both domestic and foreign tourists. Ksamil Beach and Albania's Ionian Coast further north was included in the Guardian's 20 of the best bargain beach holidays for 2013.
The main attractions are the nearby Ksamil Islands. The mainland beach is small but clean.
During communism, the area became well known for the production of olive oil, lemons, and tangerines. In 2010, national authorities demolished over 200 illegal structures that violated the town's master plan and the integrity of Butrint National Park. Some remains from the demolished buildings have yet to be removed by authorities.
The village of Ksamil, according to the fieldwork undertaken by Greek scholar Leonidas Kallivretakis in the area during 1992, Ksamil has a mixed population and is inhabited by Muslim Albanians (1125), Orthodox Albanians (210) and Greeks (520).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ksamil.|
- Law nr. 115/2014 Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- 2011 census results Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Kallivretakis, Leonidas (1995). "Η ελληνική κοινότητα της Αλβανίας υπό το πρίσμα της ιστορικής γεωγραφίας και δημογραφίας [The Greek Community of Albania in terms of historical geography and demography." In Nikolakopoulos, Ilias, Kouloubis Theodoros A. & Thanos M. Veremis (eds). Ο Ελληνισμός της Αλβανίας [The Greeks of Albania]. University of Athens. p. 51. "Ε Έλληνες, ΑΧ Αλβανοί Ορθόδοξοι Χριστιανοί, AM Αλβανοί Μουσουλμάνοι, Μ Μικτός πληθυσμός”; KSAMIL ΚΣΑΜΙΛΙ (ΕΞΑΜΙΛΙ/νέο) 1955 Μ (1125 AM + 520 Ε + 210 ΑΧ)"
- "Vlora's communes". www.observator.org.al. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Fourth Report submitted by Albania pursuant to Article 25, paragraph 2 of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Albania. p. 98. Retrieved 28 December 2018.