|OS grid reference|
|• London||125 mi (201 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Langworth is a small village in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 6 miles (10 km) north-east from the city and county town of Lincoln, and on the A158 road Lincoln to Skegness road. It is in the civil parish of Barlings.
The village has two public houses and two garages.
The village is in an area prone to flooding. The Environment Agency gives flood warnings for the Barlings Eau waterway, which runs just north-west of the village. Particularly extensive flooding occurred in 2007.
Langworth church is dedicated to St Hugh. The church is a 1960–62 rebuilding, by Haynes and Johnson of Brigg, of the Walmsgate Hall chapel, itself built in 1901. The material from the original chapel could not be used although the previous footprint was kept, and lengthened. Retained from the earlier chapel was the barrel vault roof construction, the surrounds to the windows, and sliding doors with their handles at the west end. Also the original font, organ, altar canopy and bronze lamps, and a plaque to Dallas-Yorke, son of Thomas Yorke, to whom the chapel was a memorial, remain. Plaster decoration, part Art Nouveau, part Pre-Raphaelite style, was lost in the rebuilding; Pevsner's view was that with the decoration "the chapel was one of the outstanding ensembles in England of the style of 1900".
Langworth had a village store with a full time post office until the 2008/2009 post office closures. The village organised a campaign to keep it open, this included a web campaign (www.savelangworthpostoffice.co.uk no longer online) and direct action including a protest in front of the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform and a pedestrian crossing protest which caused long tailbacks on the A158. This all failed and Post office Ltd closed the Langworth branch, resulting in the village store closing.
There is now a post office outreach service open in the Langworth memorial hall, three times a week.
- "Map of Langworth, Lincolnshire; Environment-agency.gov.uk. Retrieved 22 April 2012
- "Langworth Parish Council"; Parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk. Retrieved 22 April 2012
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Harris, John; The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire pp. 293, 294; Penguin, (1964); revised by Nicholas Antram (1989), Yale University Press. ISBN 0300096208
- "Post Office Protest Pictures | Getty Images". Getty Images. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Patrick Barkham, Jon Henley and Martin Wainwright on the closure of post offices | UK news | The Guardian". The Guardian. The Guardian. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Langworth Parish Council". Langworth Parish Council. Langworth Parish Council. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- Media related to Langworth at Wikimedia Commons