|Directed by||Kirill Serebrennikov|
|Produced by||Ilya Stewart|
|Written by||Mikhail Idov|
|Music by||Ilya Demutsky|
Leto (Russian: Лето, romanized: Leto, lit. ''Summer'') is a 2018 Russian musical film depicting the Leningrad underground rock scene of the early 1980s. It was directed by Kirill Serebrennikov. The film was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival where it won Cannes Soundtrack Award. Leto also won Best Production Designer at 2018 European Film Awards.
The film is set in the summer of the early 1980s in Leningrad. The main storyline of the film tells the story of the relationship between the 19-year-old Viktor Tsoi (Teo Yoo), 26-year-old Mike Naumenko (Roman Bilyk), and Naumenko's wife, Natalia (Irina Starshenbaum), as well as the formation of the Leningrad Rock Club and the recording of Kino's first album, 45.
- Teo Yoo as Viktor Tsoi (Kino singer)
- Roman Bilyk (Zveri vocalist) as Mike Naumenko (Zoopark singer)
- Irina Starshenbaum as Natalia Naumenko
- Philip Avdeev as Leonid
- Alexander Gorchilin as punk
- Julia Aug as Anna Aleksandrovna
- Nikita Yefremov as Bob
- Georgy Kudrenko
- Alexandra Revenko
- Nikita Yelenev
- Anton Adasinsky as оwner of apartment
- Liya Akhedzhakova as оwner of apartment
- Yelena Koreneva as woman in red
- Aleksandr Bashirov as angry man on train
- Seva Novgorodsev as antiquarian
- Vasily Mikhailov as Isha
- Aleksandr Kuznetsov as skeptic
- Andrey Khodorchenkov as Artemy Troitsky
Filming began in July 2017 in St. Petersburg. At the end of August 2017, Serebrennikov was arrested, deported to Moscow on charges of fraud, and placed under house arrest. Nevertheless, by February 2018 he managed to finish the film without violating the prohibitions imposed by the court, as he completed his work using a computer not connected to the Internet. A few unfinished scenes were finished using his notes and based on previous rehearsals.
The film features the music of Kino and other Soviet rock bands. The soundtrack also includes covers of The Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer", Iggy Pop's "Passenger", Lou Reed's "Perfect Day", and David Bowie's "All the Young Dudes" by contemporary Russian artists, such as Glintshake and Shortparis.
On the English-language review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 79%, based on 61 reviews with an average rating of 7.20/10. Metacritic gives the film a weighted average score of 69 out of 100, based on 17 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
On 15 February 2018, the film was criticized by musician Boris Grebenshchikov, who felt that the script of the film was "a lie from beginning to end."
We lived differently. In his scenario, we're Moscow hipsters, who don't know how to do anything apart from copulating on someone else's account. The script was written by a man from another planet. I think that, in those days, the script writer would have worked for the KGB.— Boris Grebenschikov
Alexei Rybin, one of the founders of Kino, criticized the script and forbade the use of his image in the film. The film was sharply criticized by the music producer Andrei Tropillo, who described the director Serebrennikov as "a man alien to rock culture and who knows nothing about it". Music critic Artemy Troitsky agreed that the script "causes great doubts", but urged people to wait for the finished film.
- "The 2018 Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 12 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Debruge, Peter; Keslassy, Elsa (12 April 2018). "Cannes Lineup Includes New Films From Spike Lee, Jean-Luc Godard". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Romney, Jonathan (10 May 2018). "'Leto': Cannes Review". Screen Daily. Screen International. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Кирилл Серебренников под домашним арестом смонтировал фильм о Викторе Цое" [Under house arrest, Kirill Serebrennikov created a film about Viktor Tsoi]. The New Times (in Russian). 5 February 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Anastasiya (25 August 2017). "Стало известно, кто сыграет роль Виктора Цоя в фильме Кирилла Серебренникова" [Actor of Viktor Tsoi in Kirill Serebrennikov's film revealed]. Cosmopolitan Russia (in Russian). Fashion Press. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Роль Виктора Цоя в фильме "Лето" Кирилла Серебренникова получил Тео Ю. Майка Науменко сыграл Рома Зверь" [Teo Yoo cast as Viktor Tsoi in Kirill Serebrennikov's "Summer"; Roman Bilyn to play Mike Naumenko]. Meduza (in Russian). 9 February 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Kwak, Yeon-soo (15 May 2018). "Actor Teo Yoo plays Soviet rock star". The Korea Times. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Song, Hye-jin (15 May 2018). "Korean-German Actor Teo Yoo Gets Big Break in Cannes Hit". The Chosun Ilbo. Chosun Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Nackie, Michael (16 February 2018). "Интервью / Артемий Троицкий" [Interview: Artemy Troitsky]. Individual Opinion (in Russian). Echo of Moscow. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Кирилл Серебренников начал снимать "Лето" про юного Цоя" [Kirill Serebrennikov begins shooting "Summer", film about young Viktor Tsoi]. Lenta.ru (in Russian). 27 July 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Baklanov, Alexander (27 July 2017). "Кирилл Серебренников начал снимать фильм о молодом Викторе Цое" [Kirill Serebrennikov making film about Viktor Tsoi]. Snob (in Russian). Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Fakhrutdinov, Rafael (26 August 2017). ""Лето" разморозили" ["Summer" thawed]. Gazeta.ru (in Russian). SUP Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018. // Газета.ру, 28 августа 2017
- "Кирилл Серебренников смонтировал фильм о Викторе Цое под домашним арестом" [Kirill Serebrennikov editing Viktor Tsoi film under house arrest]. Meduza (in Russian). 5 February 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa (2 February 2018). "Charades Boards Rock-Filled Drama 'Leto' by Russian Director Under House Arrest (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Опубликованы первые кадры из фильма Кирилла Серебренникова про Виктора Цоя" [First footage from Kirill Serebrennikov's Tsoi film released]. Meduza (in Russian). 4 February 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Rogatchevski, Ilia. "Summer of love - The Wire". The Wire Magazine - Adventures In Modern Music. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "'Leto' Soundtrack Details | Film Music Reporter". Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- Baronnet, Brigitte (19 May 2018). "Cannes 2018: Leto récompensé pour sa musique par le prix Cannes Soundtrack" [Cannes 2018: Leto's soundtrack wins the Cannes Soundtrack Award]. AlloCiné (in French). Webedia. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- AlloCine, Leto: Les critiques presse, retrieved 6 January 2019
- "Le Top 10 du Cercle 2018". myCANAL (in French). Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Top 10 2018 des Cahiers | Cahiers du Cinéma" (in French). Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Summer (Leto) (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Leto Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Kagermazov, Sergey (15 February 2018). "Гребенщиков раскритиковал фильм Серебренникова о Цое" [Grebenshchikov criticizes Serebrennikov's film about Tsoi]. MR7.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Belousov, Vitaliy (19 February 2018). "Сооснователь "Кино" прокомментировал сценарий фильма Серебренникова о Цое" [Co-founder of "Kino" comments on the script of Serebrennikov's Tsoi film] (in Russian). RIA Novosti. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- TheUnamusic (15 September 2017). "Кирилл Серебренников. Фильм "Лето". Виктор Цой. Мнение Андрея Тропилло" [Kirill Serebrennikov. The film "Summer". Viktor Thoi. Andrei Tropillo's Opinion.] (in Russian). YouTube. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- ARU TV (4 March 2018). "Фильм "Лето", Виктор Цой и Кирилл Серебрянников. Артемий Троицкий" [The film "Summer", Viktor Tsoi and Kirill Serebryannikov. Artemy Troitsky] (in Russian). YouTube. Retrieved 27 August 2018.