List of European countries by area
Some states (marked *) are only partially located in Europe. Those are ranked according to the size of their European part only.
Inland water is included in area numbers.
|Rank||State||Total area (km2)||Notes|
|1||Russia*||3,972,400||17,098,242 km2 including North Asia|
|3||France*||551,695||643,801 km2 when the overseas departments are included.|
|4||Spain*||498,511||505,990 km2 when the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla are included.|
|6||Norway||385,178||This includes Svalbard and Jan Mayen|
|11||United Kingdom*||242,495||260,665 km2 when the British Overseas Territories (except the British Antarctic Territory) are included.|
|14||Kazakhstan*||180,000 (est.)||2,724,902 km2 including Asian part|
|22||Serbia||77,453||88,361 km2 including Kosovo|
|27||Bosnia and Herzegovina||51,129|
|30||Denmark*||44,493||This includes Faroe Islands; 2,210,579 km2 including Greenland|
|32||Netherlands*||41,198||Excluding Caribbean Netherlands, Aruba, Curacao and Sint Maarten.|
|35||Armenia*||29,843||Sometimes considered part of Asia|
|38||Turkey*||23,507||783,562 km2 including Asian part|
|41||Kosovo||10,908||Partially recognised state|
|42||Cyprus||9,251||Sometimes considered part of Asia|
|43||Azerbaijan*||6,960||86,600 km2 including Asian part|
|45||Georgia*||2,428||69,700 km2 including Asian part|
Europe and Asia are contiguous with each other and thus the exact boundary between them is not clearly defined, and often follows historical, political, and cultural definitions rather than geographical.
Legend: blue = Contiguous transcontinental states; green = Sometimes considered European but geographically outside Europe's boundaries.
- List of African countries by area
- List of Asian countries by area
- List of Oceanian countries by area
- List of South American countries by area
- "Map and Details of all 7 Continents". WorldAtlas. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "The World Factbook - Central Asia - Russia". CIA World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Entorno físico y medio ambiente" (PDF). Instituto Nacional de Estadística. p. 10. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Updated land cover figures". ssb.no. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Fläche und Bevölkerung". www.statistikportal.de (in German).
- "Latvia country profile". 29 March 2019. Retrieved 2019-10-28 – via www.bbc.com.
- The map shows one of the most commonly accepted delineations of the geographical boundaries of Europe, as used by National Geographic and Encyclopædia Britannica. Whether countries are considered in Europe or Asia can vary in sources, for example in the classification of the CIA World Factbook or that of the BBC. Note also that certain countries in Europe, such as France, have territories lying geographically outside Europe, but which are nevertheless considered integral parts of that country.