List of Stevenage F.C. players
Stevenage Football Club is an English association football club based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, currently playing in League One. Following the demise of the town's former club, Stevenage Athletic, Stevenage Borough was formed in 1976. Following promotions through both the United Counties and Isthmian leagues, Stevenage gained Football Conference status in 1994 and spent sixteen straight seasons in the highest tier of non-league football, before they were promoted to League Two in 2010. In their first ever Football League season, Stevenage won promotion to League One, the third tier of English football. Below, is a list of players who have made 50 or more appearances for the Hertfordshire side, as well as including those who have, after leaving Stevenage, gone on to play in either of the two highest tiers of English football. Certain players are included who fell short of the 50 total but have been included due to making a significant contribution to the club's history. In addition to this, the table also illustrates players who hold any records at the club.
The list also includes those who have won the Stevenage Player of the Year. The Stevenage Player of the Year award is voted for annually by Stevenage's supporters in recognition of the best overall performance by an individual player throughout the football season. Since the inaugural award was made to Mark Smith in 1994, three players have won the award twice, most recently defender Mark Roberts winning the award in 2009 and 2012. Jason Goodliffe has also won the award twice, in 2002 and 2003; and is the only player to have won the award in consecutive seasons.
Ronnie Henry holds the record for Stevenage appearances and is followed by Mark Smith with 468. Martin Gittings holds the club record for total goals scored, 209. He is also the only player at the club to have scored over 100 goals, with Steve Morison coming closest with 89 in all competitions.
Players are listed according to the date of their first professional contracted signed with the club. Appearances are for first-team competitive matches only. Substitute appearances are included. All figures are correct as of 2 June 2014.
Players who have won the 'Stevenage Player of the Year' award
Club captains who have won a major Senior competition at the club
Players who hold a record at the club
- Note 1: Players in bold are still currently playing for Stevenage.
- Note 2: Players included in the list have to have made 50 appearances or more for Stevenage, or have to have gone on to play in the Premier League.
List of players
|Gittings, MartinMartin Gittings||England||Striker||1980–1995
|Marshall, RickyRicky Marshall||England||Striker||1983–1988
|Gallagher, DesDes Gallagher||England||Goalkeeper||1985–1988
|Honey, LawrenceLawrence Honey||England||Defender||1985–1988||142||2|
|Tyler, DennyDenny Tyler||England||Defender||1985–1988||236||9|
|Watkins, DavidDavid Watkins||England||Midfielder||1985–1988||144||9|
|Blackwell, NoelNoel Blackwell||England||Defender||1988–1998||255||8|
|Bambrick, GaryGary Bambrick||England||Defender||1989–1990||53||1|
|Luque, MiguelMiguel Luque||England||Midfielder||1989–1996||152||4|
|Martin, TonyTony Martin||England||Defender||1989–1992||109||0|
|McComb, RobRob McComb||England||Striker||1989–1994||68||36|
|McGill, ColinColin McGill||England||Defender||1989–1994||67||3|
|Gallagher, StephenStephen Gallagher||Ireland||Midfielder||1989–1993||61||47|
|Brown, DaveDave Brown||England||Midfielder||1990–1994||174||20|
|Burns, LeeLee Burns||England||Striker||1990–1991||50||7|
|Debnam, ShaunShaun Debnam||England||Midfielder||1990–1994||193||28|
|Hardy, DuncanDuncan Hardy||England||Midfielder||1990–1992||71||17|
|Marshall, ShaunShaun Marshall||England||Striker||1990–1996||207||52|
|Ward, TonyTony Ward||England||Midfielder||1990–1993||61||7|
|Whitehead, IanIan Whitehead||England||Defender||1990–1992||110||1|
|Bowgett, PaulPaul Bowgett||England||Defender||1991–1993||97||6|
|Nunn, MickeyMickey Nunn||England||Midfielder||1991–1994||55||6|
|Walker, AndyAndy Walker||England||Striker||1991–1992||54||10|
|Wilmot, RichardRichard Wilmot||England||Goalkeeper||1991–1998||163||0|
|Smith, MarkMark Smith||England||Defender||1992–2001
|Alzapiedi, GlenGlen Alzapiedi||England||Defender||1992–1994||51||4|
|Trebble, NeilNeil Trebble||England||Striker||1992–1994
|Graham, SteveSteve Graham||England||Midfielder||1992–1994||84||7|
|Beevor, StuartStuart Beevor||England||Midfielder||1993–1999||178||18|
|Hedman, RudiRudi Hedman||England||Defender||1993–1995||77||4|
|Crawshaw, GaryGary Crawshaw||England||Striker||1993–1998||124||44|
|Joyce, TonyTony Joyce||England||Defender||1993–1995||67||0|
|Sodje, EfeEfe Sodje||Nigeria||Defender||1993–1997||140||13||[D]|
|Venables, DaveDave Venables||England||Midfielder||1993–1997||101||2|
|Hayles, BarryBarry Hayles||Jamaica||Striker||1994–1997||129||68||[E]|
|Simpson, PhilPhil Simpson||England||Midfielder||1994–1995||65||6|
|Webster, KennyKenny Webster||England||Defender||1994–1997||86||8|
|Lynch, TonyTony Lynch||England||Striker||1994–1996||85||19|
|Browne, CoreyCorey Browne||England||Striker||1995–1997
|Barrowcliff, PaulPaul Barrowcliff||England||Midfielder||1995–1997||101||12||[F]|
|Berry , SteveSteve Berry||England||Midfielder||1995–1997
|Mutchell, RobbieRobbie Mutchell||England||Defender||1995–1997||100||1|
|Kirby, RyanRyan Kirby||England||Defender||1996–2001||171||7|
|Love, MichaelMichael Love||England||Defender||1997–2000||121||12|
|Soloman, JasonJason Soloman||England||Midfielder||1997–1998||53||8|
|Trott, RobinRobin Trott||England||Defender||1997–2003||1997–2000||192||13||[H]|
|Howarth, LeeLee Howarth||England||Defender||1998–2000||82||2|
|Harvey, LeeLee Harvey||England||Defender||1998–2000||92||0||[I]|
|Taylor, ChrisChris Taylor||England||Goalkeeper||1998–2001||103||0||[J]|
|Armstrong, PaulPaul Armstrong||England||Striker||1999–2002||67||10|
|Martin , DeanDean Martin||England||Midfielder||1999–2001||60||7|
|Leadbeater, RichardRichard Leadbeater||England||Striker||1999–2001||62||12||[K]|
|McMahon, SamSam McMahon||England||Midfielder||1999–2003||2000–2002||115||10|
|Bunce, NathanNathan Bunce||England||Defender||2000–2001
|Clarke , AdrianAdrian Clarke||England||Midfielder||2000–2002||86||19|
|Illman, NeilNeil Illman||England||Striker||2000–2002||59||17|
|Williams , MartinMartin Williams||England||Midfielder||2001–2003||55||5|
|Boylan, LeeLee Boylan||England||Striker||2001
|Campbell, DJDJ Campbell||England||Striker||2001–2003||31||5||[L]|
|Goodliffe, JasonJason Goodliffe||England||Defender||2001–2007||2002–2005||158||15||[M]|
|Sodje, SamSam Sodje||Nigeria||Defender||2001–2002||32||2||[N]|
|Wormull, SimonSimon Wormull||England||Midfielder||2001–2004||98||11|
|Boyd, GeorgeGeorge Boyd||Scotland||Midfielder||2002–2007||123||31||[O]|
|Travis, SimonSimon Travis||England||Defender||2002–2004||72||1|
|Westhead, MarkMark Westhead||England||Goalkeeper||2002–2005||53||0|
|Brady, JonJon Brady||Australia||Midfielder||2003–2005||65||6|
|Elding, AnthonyAnthony Elding||England||Striker||2003–2006||124||56|
|Laker, BarryBarry Laker||England||Defender||2003–2006||118||6|
|Maamria, DinoDino Maamria||Tunisia||Striker||2003–2006
|Pérez, LionelLionel Pérez||France||Goalkeeper||2003–2006||38||0||[P]|
|Gregory, JustinJustin Gregory||England||Defender||2003–2006||82||1|
|Warner, MichaelMichael Warner||England||Defender||2003–2006||112||0|
|Brough, MichaelMichael Brough||England||Midfielder||2004–2006
|Quinn, RobRob Quinn||Ireland||Midfielder||2004–2006||69||2|
|Bulman, DannieDannie Bulman||England||Midfielder||2004–2006||95||3||[Q]|
|Hocking, MattMatt Hocking||England||Defender||2004–2006||60||1|
|Nurse, JonJon Nurse||Barbados||Striker||2004–2007||108||21|
|Henry, RonnieRonnie Henry||England||Defender||2005–2012
|Julian, AlanAlan Julian||Northern Ireland||Goalkeeper||2005–2008
|Stamp, DarrynDarryn Stamp||England||Striker||2005–2007||62||21|
|Gaia, SantosSantos Gaia||Brazil||Defender||2006–2007||59||2|
|Nutter, JohnJohn Nutter||England||Defender||2006–2007||73||8|
|Oliver, LukeLuke Oliver||England||Defender||2006–2009||90||4|
|Miller, AdamAdam Miller||England||Midfielder||2006–2008||67||13|
|Dobson, CraigCraig Dobson||Jamaica||Midfielder||2006–2008||75||17|
|Fuller, BarryBarry Fuller||England||Defender||2006–2008||75||1|
|Morison, SteveSteve Morison||Wales||Striker||2006–2009||2008–2009||152||89||[T]|
|Cole, MitchellMitchell Cole||England||Midfielder||2007–2010||146||23|
|McMahon, DarylDaryl McMahon||Ireland||Midfielder||2007–2009||74||10|
|Wilson, LawrieLawrie Wilson||England||Midfielder||2007–2012||191||15|
|Vincenti, PeterPeter Vincenti||England||Midfielder||2008–2011||76||7|
|Laird, ScottScott Laird||England||Defender||2008–2012||230||23||[U]|
|Albrighton, MarkMark Albrighton||England||Defender||2008–2010||61||1|
|Drury, AndyAndy Drury||England||Midfielder||2008–2010||75||13|
|Bridges, DavidDavid Bridges||England||Midfielder||2008–2011||82||15|
|Bostwick, MichaelMichael Bostwick||England||Midfielder||2008–2012||207||22|
|Day, ChrisChris Day||England||Goalkeeper||2008–||334||0|
|Roberts , MarkMark Roberts||England||Defender||2008–2013||2009–2013||239||27||[V]|
|Ashton, JonJon Ashton||England||Defender||2009–2016||2014–2016||234||5||[W]|
|Byrom, JoelJoel Byrom||England||Midfielder||2009–2012||100||11|
|Beardsley, ChrisChris Beardsley||England||Striker||2009–2012
|Odubade, YemiYemi Odubade||Nigeria||Striker||2009–2011||68||18|
|Long, StacyStacy Long||England||Midfielder||2009–2012||88||10|
|Murphy, DarrenDarren Murphy||Ireland||Midfielder||2008–2012||54||2|
|Mousinho, JohnJohn Mousinho||England||Midfielder||2010–2012
|Charles, DariusDarius Charles||England||Defender||2010–2016||167||18|
|Reid , CraigCraig Reid||England||Striker||2011–2012
|Freeman, LukeLuke Freeman||England||Midfielder||2011–2014||129||17||[Y]|
|Shroot, RobinRobin Shroot||Northern Ireland||Midfielder||2011–2014||74||11|
|Akins, LucasLucas Akins||England||Midfielder||2012–2014||86||15|
|Gray , DavidDavid Gray||Scotland||Defender||2012–2014||58||0|
|Dunne, JamesJames Dunne||England||Midfielder||2012–2014||59||7||[X]|
|Tansey, GregGreg Tansey||England||Midfielder||2012–2014||62||9|
|Morais, FilipeFilipe Morais||Portugal||Midfielder||2012–2014||66||12|
|Haber, MarcusMarcus Haber||Canada||Striker||2012–2014||51||7|
|Deacon, RoarieRoarie Deacon||England||Midfielder||2013–2015||58||1|
|Parrett, DeanDean Parrett||England||Midfielder||2013–2016||78||9|
|Lee, CharlieCharlie Lee||England||Midfielder||2014–2017||130||14|
|Pett, TomTom Pett||England||Midfielder||2014–||125||15|
|Wells , DeanDean Wells||England||Defender||2014–2017||97||7|
|Whelpdale, ChrisChris Whelpdale||England||Midfielder||2014–2016
|Kennedy , BenBen Kennedy||Northern Ireland||Midfielder||2015–||84||17|
|Conlon, TomTom Conlon||England||Midfielder||2015–||56||2|
|Gorman, DaleDale Gorman||Northern Ireland||Midfielder||2015–||55||2|
|Tonge, MichaelMichael Tonge||England||Midfielder||2015–2017||61||3|
|Franks, FraserFraser Franks||England||Defender||2015–||95||7|
|Jones , JamieJamie Jones||England||Goalkeeper||2016–2017||57||0|
|Wilkinson, LukeLuke Wilkinson||England||Defender||2016–||72||6|
|Godden, MatthewMatthew Godden||England||Striker||2016–||51||22|
C. ^ Smith won the 1994–95 and 2000–01 Stevenage Player of the Year awards. Club record holder: Smith holds the club record for total appearances during his two spells at the club, playing 466 times.
E. ^ Hayles played for Fulham in the Premier League between the years 2001–2004. Hayles also won the 1995–96 Stevenage Player of the Year award. He was sold to Bristol Rovers for £250,000 in 1997; £10,000 short of the club record for a transfer fee received by the club.
O. ^ Boyd currently plays for Hull City in the Football League Championship. Club record holder: holds the club record for the highest transfer fee received by the club, £260,000, which was paid by Peterborough United on 8 January 2007.
R. ^ Henry won the 2006–07 Stevenage Player of the Year award. During his time as captain at the club, Henry lifted the FA Trophy in May 2007. This also meant that Henry became the first ever player to lift a competitive trophy at the new Wembley Stadium.
T. ^ Morison won the 2007–08 Stevenage Player of the Year award. During his time as captain at the club, Morison lifted the FA Trophy in May 2009. He moved to Millwall for a fee of £130,000 in May 2009, and has since played internationally for Wales. He spent a year-and-a-half playing for Premier League side Norwich City, having signed for them for an undisclosed fee in June 2011. He now plays for Leeds United.
V. ^ Roberts won the 2008–09 and 2011–12 Stevenage Player of the Year awards. Roberts is the current captain at the club, and helped guide Stevenage to winning the 2009–10 Conference National; finishing as league champions with two games to spare. He also captained the side in their first ever Football League season, helping the side achieve back-to-back promotions following their 1–0 play-off final victory against Torquay United in May 2011.
- "Stevenage FC Players". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Soccerbase". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Stevenage news index". Stevenage F.C. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Stevenage Borough". Football Club History Database. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Kidderminster 0–2 Stevenage". BBC Sport. 17 April 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Stevenage promoted to League One by beating Torquay". BBC Sport. 28 May 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- "Player of the Year – History". Stevenage F.C. Supporters' Association. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- Williams. Non-League Club Directory 1996. p. 89.
- "Stevenage Player: Steve Morison profile". BoroGuide. 30 August 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Stevenage Player: Martin Gittings profile". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Efe Sodje all time playing career". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Nigeria 0–0 England". Soccerbase. Retrieved 28 August 2009.
- "Barry Hayles all time playing career". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Stevenage Player: Barry Hayles profile". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Boro Legends". FCBoro. Archived from the original on 8 November 2009. Retrieved 28 August 2009.
- Harling, Nicholas (4 December 2002). "FA Cup: Part-timer Trott gallops to rescue". London: Telegraph sport. Retrieved 28 August 2009.
- "Richard Leadbetter all time playing career". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "DJ Campbell all time playing career". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Stevenage Player: DJ Campbell profile". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Stevenage Player: Jason Goodliffe profile". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Sam Sodje all time playing career". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "George Boyd all time playing career". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Boyd finalises record Posh switch". BBC Sport. 8 January 2007. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Stevenage Player: Ronnie Henry profile". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Henry the first". TheFA.com. 13 May 2007. Retrieved 13 August 2009.
- "Stevenage Player: Alan Julian profile". BoroGuide. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Player of the Year – Steve Morison". Stevenage Supporters' association. 4 May 2008. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "Stevenage 2–0 York". BBC Sport. 9 May 2009. Retrieved 19 August 2009.
- "Morison magic for Borough". TheFA.com. 9 May 2009. Retrieved 19 August 2009.
- "Millwall agree deal for Morison". BBC Sport. 15 May 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Morison and Blake receive Wales calls". BBC Sport. 28 July 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Norwich City sign Millwall striker Steve Morison". BBC Sport. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Norwich sign Luciano Becchio and Steve Morison joins Leeds". BBC Sport. 31 January 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "2009–2010 Player of the Year – Scott Laird". Stevenage Borough SA. 24 April 2010. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- "2008–2009 Player of the Year – Mark Roberts". Stevenage F.C. 20 April 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "SA End Of Year Awards". Stevenage F.C. Supporters' Association. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Stevenage secure Football League spot". BBC Sport. 17 April 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "It's a double for Jon Ashton". Stevenage F.C. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2011.