List of Academy Award nominees presented under false names
This article needs to be updated.(February 2017)
There have been several fictional people or people using false names nominated for actual Academy Awards, in several cases because the actual winners were blacklisted at the time. This list is current as of the 89th Academy Awards ceremony held on February 26, 2017.
Nathan E. Douglas
- 1958 Best Writing, Story and Screenplay – Written Directly for the Screen for The Defiant Ones
- Nedrick Young and Harold Jacob Smith co-wrote the screenplay, but Young was blacklisted and used a pseudonym for his screen credit. As an inside joke, director Stanley Kramer cast Young and Smith in bit parts as truck drivers and had their screen credit appear while they were on screen together. In 1993, AMPAS restored Young's credit for this work.
- The name was used as a cover for blacklisted writer Dalton Trumbo. On December 15, 1992, the Board of Governors voted to change the records and recognize Trumbo. Hunter's name was removed. However, Hunter's son, director Tim Hunter, refused to cede the award to Trumbo, so the Academy presented a second Academy Award.
- 1956 Best Story for The Brave One
- 2003 Best Writing Adapted Screenplay for Adaptation.
- 1985 Best Writing Adapted Screenplay for Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes.
John Mac McMurphy
- "OSCARS GO TO WRITERS FOR 'KWAI'", New York Times, March 16, 1985, http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40F15F8345D0C758DDDAA0894DD484D81
- "6 Nonexistent People Who Were Nominated for Oscars". 24 January 2018.
- "Acad honors Trumbo for 'Roman Holiday'" Variety, May 12, 1993, http://www.variety.com/article/VR106758.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
- Jada Yuan (January 22, 2008). "Roderick Jaynes, Imaginary Oscar Nominee for 'No Country'". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- Associated Press via the Augusta Chronicle: http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/021303/fea_adaptation.shtml
- "Oscar nom for Montreal 'Dallas Buyers Club' editor", Canadian Press in The Record, January 16, 2014.