|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||91-08346-XXX XXX|
Loliem, earlier under the Kadamba kings of Banavasi, was actually known as Loha-halli (a Kannada word) as the village had metallurgical artisans who would manufacture idols of Hindu gods and goddesses by using iron and aluminium according to the Canara Gazetteer. Later, it became a Portuguese colony and the name was changed to Loliem.
Loliem comprises seven wards (village segments) -- namely, Iddar, Karay, Kajalker, Shelli, Polem, Peddem and Maxem. For administrative purpose, the wards of Shell and Peddem are divided into two parts each, thus forming a total of nine wards.
- Loliem-Polem has been adjudged the best panchayat in the Goa state and in the country twice during the last panchayat term.
- Union ministry of Human resources development (MHRD) inspected a site in Loliem to set up the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Goa. The three-member team to inspect the Loliem site for the IIT Goa, found the plot to be meeting all the necessary criteria. The IIT Goa campus will resemble a modern, mini township, which will be constructed in a manner that retains the greenery around. When the IIT has come up, a lot of development will taken place, generating self-employment opportunities for the locals. Land approximately 280 acres or 11.2 lakh sq ms was shortlisted by an MHRD team over Shristhal and Poinguinim in Canacona. As of June 2016, however, news reports stated that a local citizens' committee had opposed the siting of an IIT campus in their village.
- By Road: It is located 37 km towards south from district headquarters Margao, 70 km from state capital Panaji.
- By Train: The railway station at Loliem falls under the jurisdiction of the Konkan Railway. It is the last station in Goa before Asnoti railway station of Karnataka state. The other two railway stations falling under Canacona Taluka on Konkan Railway route before Loliem-Polem are Balli, Canacona.
|Next 'Small' station towards Mumbai:
|Konkan Railway : Railway (India)||Next 'Small' station from Mumbai:
|Distance from Mumbai(CST) =|
|Next 'Main' station towards Mumbai:
|Konkan Railway : Railway (India)||Next 'Main' station from Mumbai:|
- "Loliem-Polem hit by 6 dry days for Goa, K'taka polls". Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Loliem-Polem village". Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- TNN. "Karwar exults as Loliem panchayat gives nod for IIT". The Times of India. Mangalore, India. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "When crossing from Goa to India needed a visa". Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Loliem: A Case-Study Of A Culturally Resourceful Village" (PDF). Goa University. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Loliem-Polem VP to introduce e-governance". M/s Herald Publications Pvt Ltd. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Loliem-Polem panchayat strives good governance". Navhind Papers & Publications. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Locals happy to have IIT in Loliem". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Goa satisfies Union HRD team with Loliem IIT site". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Loliem citizens' committee opposes IIT campus". indiatimes.com. The Times of India. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Now, diesel electric train to ply daily between Karwar and Margao". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
|This article related to a location in the Indian state of Goa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|