Walker dunking in the 2017 McDonald's All-American Game
|No. 1 – San Antonio Spurs|
|Born||December 14, 1998|
|Listed height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Listed weight||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school||Reading (Reading, Pennsylvania)|
|College||Miami (Florida) (2017–2018)|
|NBA draft||2018 / Round: 1 / Pick: 18th overall|
|Selected by the San Antonio Spurs|
|2018–present||San Antonio Spurs|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Lonnie Walker IV (born December 14, 1998) is an American professional basketball player for the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played high school basketball for Reading High School in Pennsylvania. He signed a letter of intent to continue his academic and athletic career at the University of Miami. In January 2017 Walker was selected as a McDonald's All-American.
Walker attended Reading High School in Reading, Pennsylvania. Walker made his varsity basketball debut as a freshman and played 27 games averaging 8 points per game, and later as a sophomore he averaged 16.9 points per game in a short season due to injury. And in 29 games, as a junior, he averaged 17.1 points per game. During his senior year he averaged a career best 18.4 points per game and surpassed Reading High grad and former NBA player Donyell Marshall's school record in points by finishing with 1,828. On March 25, 2017, Walker led the Red Knights to their first state championship in the program's 117-year history in a 64-60 win over the Pine-Richland Rams. Walker finished the game with 22 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, and 3 assists. During the season Walker signed with the Miami Hurricanes, passing on offers from Villanova, Kentucky, Syracuse and Arizona.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Reading, PA||Reading HS (PA)||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||192 lb (87 kg)||Nov 16, 2016|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: ESPN: ESPN grade: 93|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: #32 Rivals: #29 247Sports: #17 ESPN: #18|
Walker made his collegiate debut on November 10, 2017, recording 10 points and a season-high 5 assists coming off the bench in a 77–45 blowout win over Gardner-Webb University. He created new highs of 12 points and 5 rebounds on December 2 in an 80–52 blowout win against Princeton University before recording season-highs of 26 points and 7 rebounds during his first collegiate start three days later in a 69–54 win over Boston University. Against Louisville, he scored a game-high 25 points including an acrobatic layup in traffic to force overtime. In a game against Boston College, he hit a 3-pointer with two seconds remaining to win 79-78. Walker finished the season averaging 11.5 points per game, leading the Hurricanes.
San Antonio Spurs (2018–present)
On June 21, 2018, Walker was selected with the 18th overall pick by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2018 NBA draft. Walker was later included in the 2018 NBA Summer League roster of the Spurs. On July 11, 2018, the Spurs announced that they signed Walker. On October 6, 2018, Walker was revealed to have a right medial meniscus tear. On November 25, 2018, the San Antonio Spurs assigned Walker the first time of the season to the Austin Spurs. Walker made his NBA debut on January 3, 2019 in a 125-107 win against the Toronto Raptors, scoring three points and grabbing one rebound in five minutes of play.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
During the 2018 NBA Draft Combine, Walker made public his interest in conspiracy theories. In 2018, Walker also donated 300 pairs of Adidas sneakers to his hometown youth blacktop league. Walker has a dog named Zola, who appeared with him in a PETA ad campaign, reminding people not to leave their dogs in hot, parked cars.
- "Five Star Recruit Lonnie Walker commits to Miami Hurricanes". espn. November 17, 2016. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "2017 McDonald's All-American Game boys rosters announced". maxpreps. January 15, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "READING HIGH ARE THE STATE CHAMPS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!! by: Trey Erdman – Raw Sports". rawsports.tv.
- "Lonnie Walker recruiting profile". espn. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "One and done: UM's Walker enters NBA Draft".
- "Miami Basketball: Lonnie Walker leaves for draft; 'Canes roster could shuffle - College Hoops Watch". collegehoopswatch.com.
- "SPURS ANNOUNCE 2018 UTAH SUMMER LEAGUE ROSTER". NBA.com. June 28, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- "SPURS SIGN 2018 FIRST ROUND PICK LONNIE WALKER IV". NBA.com. July 11, 2018. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- "Spurs rookie Lonnie Walker IV to have surgery for medial meniscus tear". NBA.com. October 6, 2018. Retrieved October 6, 2018.
- "SAN ANTONIO ASSIGNS LONNIE WALKER IV TO AUSTIN SPURS". NBA.com. November 25, 2018. Retrieved November 25, 2018.
- Ahearn, Cale (January 4, 2019). "Reading native Lonnie Walker makes NBA debut". FOX43.com. WPMT.
- McPherson, Jordan (May 22, 2018). "Move over, flat earth believers. Lonnie Walker has a new conspiracy theory for you". Miami Herald. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- David Lynch, "Spurs' Lonnie Walker reminds you not to leave your dogs in hot cars in PETA partnership," KENS5, 11 July 2019.