Mário Figueira Fernandes
Fernandes with CSKA Moscow in October 2015
|Full name||Mário Figueira Fernandes|
|Date of birth||19 September 1990|
|Place of birth||São Caetano do Sul, Brazil|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19 March 2017.
Mário Figueira Fernandes (Russian: Марио Фигейра Фернандес; born 19 September 1990 in São Caetano do Sul, São Paulo) is a Brazilian-Russian professional footballer who plays as a right-back for PFC CSKA Moscow.
Mário was under contract with Grêmio until March 2014. He transferred to Grêmio from São Caetano in March 2009. He made his full debut on 28 June 2009, against Sport. He had become the first-choice right back. Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Juventus, Internazionale, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, F.C.Porto, CSKA Moscow, AFC Ajax and A.S. Roma had all been linked with him and he was dubbed "the new Lúcio". On 25 April 2012, the Gremio president announced that a 15 million euro deal had been agreed with CSKA Moscow and Fernandes was set to join them pending a medical examination. During the 2013-14 campaign he suffered a knee injury ruling him out for the first 4 months of the season.
A few days after signing with Grêmio, Brazilian police were called in to search for him after he disappeared. He was found a few days later in São Paulo state, after having withdrawn cash in Londrina, Porto Alegre and Florianópolis.
In 2011 was called to the Brazil squad for the game Superclásico de las Américas and said no, saying he was having "personal problems".
In 2015 he was the key player in 3rd Champions League qualifying - CSKA Moskva won the second leg against Sparta Prague 3:2. Fernandes played 90 minutes, after 64 minutes (2:2) and after one ordinary tackle he was screaming and faked an injury. Referee Paolo Mazzoleni showed Marek Matejovsky the red card. Russian daily Kommersant wrote it was "An important theatre piece". Czech newspapers said the play was certainly not card worthy and Fernandes lacked fair play.
He is a tall right-back with good aerial skills and the ability to launch an attack with a long ball.
After acquiring Russian citizenship, he was called up to the Russia national football team for the friendly games against Turkey on 31 August 2016 and Ghana on 6 September 2016. But he became a CSKA Moscow player in April 2012, which means he hasn't lived continuously in Russia for at least five years yet. So until April 2017, he doesn't have the eligibility to play for Russia national football team.
- As of match played 3 December 2016
|CSKA Moscow||2012–13||Russian Premier League||28||0||3||0||2||0||-||33||0|
- CSKA Moscow
- Russian Premier League (3): 2012–13, 2013–14, 2015–16
- Russian Cup (1): 2012–13
- Russian Super Cup (1): 2014
- In the list of 33 best football players of the championship of Russia : 2012/13, 2013/14 (#1).
- Silver Ball: 2011
- 2010 Campeonato Gaúcho: Team of the Championship
- Фернандес стал армейцем (in Russian). PFC CSKA Moscow. 4 May 2012.
- "JAPAN VS. BRAZIL 0 - 4". soccerway. 14 October 2014.
- "Состав на Турцию и Гану" (in Russian). Russian Football Union. 16 August 2016.
- "Фернандес готов к дебюту за Россию. Главное — в обзоре дня". championat.com (in Russian). Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "President of Russia decree on citizenship" (in Russian). President of Russia. 13 July 2016.
- Grêmio contrata atacante Jô, irmão de Mário Fernandes (Grêmio signs forward Jô, brother of Mário Fernandes); Globo Esporte, 8 June 2011 (Portuguese)
- "M.Fernandes". soccerway.com. Soccerway. Retrieved 19 April 2016.