|Founded||August 27, 2003|
|Founder||Petr Šimral, Radan Stift|
|Headquarters||Prague, Czech rep.|
|Revenue||CZK 1,328 mio. (2015)|
|CZK 134 mio. (2015)|
|Total assets||CZK 329 mio. (2015)|
|Total equity||CZK 148 mio. (2015)|
Number of employees
|Parent||METRANS a.s. (100 %)|
The company was set up by engine drivers Petr Šimral and Radan Stift in August 2003. Named Railtrans, it started irregular freight transport to Germany. On 1 September 2004 Railtrans became the first Czech open access operator offering regular passenger trains from Liberec to German Zittau using Uerdingen railbuses.
In April 2006 Railtrans announced plans to compete with state-owned Czech Railways on the line Prague - Ostrava. It failed to start operation in December 2006, as the chosen electric locomotives Siemens ES64F4 did not receive necessary permissions (Siemens finally got the approval in December 2011). Due to a scheduled reconstruction of the line Railtrans was refused access to the Prague Main Station, as the subsidised trains of incumbent Czech Railways were given priority. In September 2007 Railtrans decided to abandon the project.
In 2005 the company acquired two V100 Ost locomotives. METRANS Rail operates electric locomotives Bombardier TRAXX F 140MS and diesel locomotives Siemens ER20. In September 2012, METRANS ordered a further three Eurorunner locomotives from Siemens.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to METRANS Rail.|
- Commercial register at justice.cz, ID 26361485
- Annual report of METRANS Rail s.r.o. for calendar year 2015
- Lukáš Soukup, První elektrický TRAXX v Česku, K Report, available online
- Notářský zápis o založení obchodní společnosti RAILTRANS s.r.o., 27. srpna 2003, published at justice.cz
- Jan Sůra, První soukromý rychlík bude konkurovat Pendolinu, idnes, 19 April 2006
- Siemens, Lokomotiva Siemens ES64F4 má zelenou na českých kolejích (press release), 9 January 2012 available online
- Lukáš Soukup, První česká „Open access“ V100, k-report.net, 20. August 2005 (in Czech)
- V100-online.de, engines LEW 12542/1970 and LEW 12546/1970
- "World rolling stock market September 2012 - Railway Gazette". Railway Gazette International. Retrieved 24 September 2012.