The MKEK MPT-76 with a bipod that also doubles as a forward handgrip
Assault rifle (MPT-55)
|Place of origin||Turkey|
|Used by||See Users|
|Weight||4.1 kg (9.0 lb)|
|Length||920 mm (36 in)|
|Barrel length||406 mm (16.0 in)|
|Action||Gas-operated, rotating bolt|
|Rate of fire||700 rounds/min|
|Muzzle velocity||800 m/s (2,600 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||600 m (660 yd)|
|Feed system||20-round detachable magazine|
|Sights||Iron sights or various optics|
The MPT-76 (stands for Turkish: Millî Piyade Tüfeği, English: National Infantry Rifle) is a modular rifle designed by MKEK Kalekalıp and produced by MKEK to meet the demands of the Turkish Armed Forces and to replace its aging Heckler & Koch G3 battle rifles due to most of them being near the end of their service life. The MPT-76 was designed for robust high altitude, all weather combat, capable of functioning in extreme hot and cold weather. The MKEK MPT is a rifle intended to take abuse and extreme mistreatment and still maintain high accuracy and reliability in order to survive in true battle environments. The Turkish government has invested USD 22 million into the project.
After the first prototypes were built in 2008 as the Mehmetçik-1 in 5.56×45mm NATO, the rifle received negative feedback from Turkish soldiers testing it who reported that they preferred the 7.62×51mm NATO round which has far greater stopping power and range similar to those of the existing G3 service rifles. The proposed Mehmetcik-1 was therefore cancelled after the first prototype and engineers started the redesign process.
The first batch of 200 MPT-76s were delivered on May 18, 2014 and received positive feedback. The rifle was reported to be extremely accurate, reliable, and outmatched the G3 in all categories. The Turkish Army plans to gradually phase out its G3 and to make the MPT-76 its main service rifle. Azerbaijan plans to produce parts of the rifle in cooperation with Turkey.
Serial production began in 2015. The initial phase of the project will see a total of 35,014 MPT-76's being produced in two tranches. The first tranche of the initial phase, consisting of 20,000 rifles was contracted to state-owned company Machines and Chemical Industries Board (MKEK) in June 2015. The second tranche, consisting of 15,014 rifles, was contracted with local company Kalekalip in December 2015.
The first batch of rifles was ready for delivery to the Turkish military in January 2017.
Its design was based on the AR-15, but with the gas piston system influenced by the HK417. It has a Picatinny rail system and mounting options for an under-barrel shotgun and grenade launcher.
The following are planned to be in production:
- MPT-76 Carbine with 12 inch barrel
- MPT-76 Battle Rifle with 16 inch barrel
- MPT-76 Designated Marksman's Rifle with 20 inch barrel
In May 2017, MKEK introduced the MPT-55 of the MPT-76, which is chambered in 5.56×45mm. The standard version is 7.3 lb (3.3 kg) with a 14.5 in (370 mm) barrel, and the shorter MPT-55K is 6.6 lb (3.0 kg) with an 11 in (280 mm) barrel. Turkey plans to obtain 20,000 of the smaller-caliber rifles to replace license-produced HK416s within special forces.
- Azerbaijan: Requested to take part in the project as a fellow Turkic nation. Ordered an unknown number of rifles with an eventual intent of full adoption for service.
- Turkey: Received 5,000 MPT-76 rifles out of the ordered 46,500 in 2015 as preliminary production distribution units for various special forces divisions. In November 2016 the Turkish Undersecretary of Defense announced that an initial low rate production of 200,000 units will be produced for the military. The Turkish Armed Forces eventually plan on buying up to 500,000 rifles, making the MPT its main service and combat rifle for the Turkish Army all while decommissioning the aging HK G3 from service.
- Somalia A total of 450 rifles were delivered to Somalia, which is dealing with an insurgency.
- Chile: Expressed interest in fully adopting the rifle for military service.
- Northern Cyprus
- "Milli Piyade Tüfeği'nin ilk sevkiyatı yapıldı". TRT Haber. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Milli Piyade tüfeği üretimine başlandı". Hürriyet. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "7.62 mm MPT-76 National Infantry Rifle". NAVDEX. Archived from the original on 25 February 2015. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "MKEK MPT-76 - Modern Firearms". Modern Firearms. 2014-07-15. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "The Turkish HK416: Mehmetçik-1 - The Firearm Blog". The Firearm Blog. 2008-11-07. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Milli Piyade Tüfeği'nin ilk prototipleri hazır". TRT Türk. Archived from the original on 18 May 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Nicholas de Larrinaga (2014-06-18). "Eurosatory 2014: MKEK delivers first MPT-76 rifles to Turkey". Jane's 360. Archived from the original on 2015-02-11. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "News.Az - Turkey to display MPT-76 infantry rifle at Baku defense exhibition in September". www.news.az. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "ADEX-2014: MKE şirkəti MPT-76 piyada tüfəngini Bakıda sərgiləyəcək". Azeridefence (in Azerbaijani). 2014-09-05. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- ngain. "Turkish company MKEK displays its new national infantry rifle MPT-76". www.armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 January 2010. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "Turkey's Procurement Diplomacy Bears Fruit". www.worldpoliticsreview.com. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- Teknolojioku (2014-06-18). "TSK, ilk parti MPT-76 milli piyade tüfeğine kavuştu". Teknolojioku (in Turkish). Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "The new Turkish MKEK Mehmecik MPT-76 National Rifle". The Firearm Blog. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Turkey to begin serial production of MPT-76 rifles | IHS Jane's 360". www.janes.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Turkey orders more MPT-76 service rifles | IHS Jane's 360". www.janes.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "First MPT-76 rifles delivered to the Turkish Military". The Firearm Blog. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "The Assault Rifles Of The Near Future". 21st Century Asian Arms Race. 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- ngain. "MKE displays its new MPT-76 rifle | Eurosatory 2014 Show Daily News Coverage Report | Defence and security military army exhibition 2014". www.armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "MKEK MPT (Milli Piyade Tufegi) Assault Rifle / Battle Rifle / Assault Carbine - Turkey". Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- IDEF 2017- MKEK Introduces 5.56x45mm MPT-55 Rifle - Thefirearmblog.com, 22 May 2017
- "News.Az - Turkey to start mass production of national infantry rifle". news.az. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Milli Piyade Tüfeği MPT-76'yı ABD de İstiyor, Şili de". Haberler.com (in Turkish). Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- Haber7. "Sınırları aştı! Dünya peşine düştü..." Haber7 (in Turkish). Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Türkiye'den Pakistan'a milyar dolarlık rekor satış geliyor!" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2018-05-31.