Madison station (NJT)
View east from south (eastbound) platform
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||NJT Bus: 873|
|Parking||roughly 60 spaces, 5 handicapped|
|Opened||January 1, 1838|
|Rebuilt||January 1, 1879, 1915–April 17, 1916|
|Passengers (2012)||1,527 (average weekday)|
Southern side, 2007
|Location||Madison, New Jersey, USA|
|Architect||Frank J. Nies|
|Architectural style||Collegiate Gothic|
|NRHP Reference #||84002764|
Madison is a New Jersey Transit station in Madison, Morris County, New Jersey, United States, along the Morristown Line. The station was built in 1916 after the local government passed an ordinance for $159,000 with the cooperation of the D.L. & W.R.R. in the planning of the depot. Mrs. D. Willis James financed much of the road grading caused by the track elevation. The tracks were elevated through the downtown and no established roadways were hindered by crossing delays. The station included baggage and cargo facilities readily accessible by wagons as well as the stationmaster offices, a newsstand, and waiting facilities featuring extensive banks of high-backed wooden seating. Weeping Mulberry trees were planted among the landscaping and in natural areas in the parking area. In 1984, the station was listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places as part of the Operating Passenger Railroad Stations Thematic Resource.
- List of New Jersey Transit stations
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Morris County, New Jersey
- Taber, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend III (1981). The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century. 2. Muncy, PA: Privately printed. p. 749. ISBN 0-9603398-3-3.
- Taber, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend III (1980). The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century. 1. Muncy, PA: Privately printed. p. 96-97. ISBN 0-9603398-2-5.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Madison New Jersey Transit Railroad Station Survey
- Morris County Listings at the National Register of Historic Places
Media related to Madison (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Friends of the Madison Train Station
- Prospect Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Green Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Video of Madison Train Station
|This New Jersey train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|