Mainit, Surigao del Norte
Sunset over Lake Mainit
Map of Surigao del Norte with Mainit highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Surigao del Norte|
|District||2nd district of Surigao del Norte|
|Established||December 27, 1930|
|• Mayor||Ramon Beltran Mondano|
|• Vice Mayor||Crisanta Olvis Mondano|
|• Total||107.76 km2 (41.61 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||250/km2 (640/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Dialing code||+63 (0)86|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Electorate||18,154 voters as of 2016|
|Patron Saint||San Nicolas|
Mainit is a fourth class municipality in the province of Surigao del Norte, Philippines. It is situated on the north shore of Lake Mainit in the north-eastern part of Mindanao. The word "mainit" literally means "hot". According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 26,741 people.
- Magsaysay (Pob.)
- Quezon (Pob.)
- San Francisco
- San Isidro
- San Jose
The first inhabitants of Mainit settled near Lake Mainit in what is now barangay San Isidro. It was believed that the constant harassment of pirates forced the original settlers to move to the present town site.
Mainit was made into a barrio in 1904 under the Municipality of Placer. In 1906, it became a Municipality of Agusan Province but after six months, Mainit was returned to the Province of Surigao del Norte and its status was reverted to being a barangay of Placer. Mainit was finally made into a municipality in Jan. 1, 1931 by virtue of Executive Order 290 dated December 27, 1930, signed by Governor-General Dwight F. Davis.
Mainit got its name from the hot sulfuric spring which flows to the river the “Mapaso Hot Spring”. Mapaso literally is “hot”.
|Population census of Mainit|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Province: Surigao del Norte". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Caraga". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "An Act Converting into Barrios Certain Sitios in the Province of Surigao, and Dividing the Barrio of Macalaya into Two Barrios, Municipality of Placer, in the Same Province". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- http://mainithistory.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/hello-world/ Executive Order 290 dated December 27, 1930
- Municipality of Mainit (2009-12-21). "History, Vision and Mission". Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Caraga". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Caraga". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 11 November 2011.
- Official Website of the Municipality of Mainit
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- Discover Mainit
- About Mainit
- A Civil Society Organization of Mainit, Surigao del Norte
- Mainitnons in Northern America,USA and CANADA
|Jabonga, Agusan del Norte / Lake Mainit||Alegria|