December 28, 2001
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
|Education||Meadowvale Secondary School|
Maitreyi Ramakrishnan (/ /; Tamil: மைத்ரேயி ராமகிருஷ்ணன், pronounced ['maɪtɾeːji 'ɾaːmakɾiʂɳan]; born 28 December 2001) is a Canadian actress known for her leading role in the Netflix teen comedy series Never Have I Ever (2020).
Early life and education
Ramakrishnan was born and raised in Mississauga, Ontario. She is of Tamil descent from Sri Lanka, with her family coming to Canada as refugees due to the civil war in Sri Lanka. She began acting in school plays in Grade 10 and graduated from Meadowvale Secondary School. She made the decision to pursue an acting career in her last year at Meadowvale and got the role in Never Have I Ever less than a year after. She deferred her acceptance to the theatre program at York University in Toronto, which she had initially planned to attend the fall after she graduated high school, so she could shoot Never Have I Ever in Los Angeles.
Ramakrishnan portrays Devi Vishwakumar, the lead role, in the Netflix series Never Have I Ever. In 2019, she was chosen by Mindy Kaling out of 15,000 candidates that applied for an open casting call for the show. Ramakrishnan created her audition tape at a local library, using her mother's camera, eventually being asked to send four more videos, before having a screen test in Los Angeles and being offered the role. Ramakrishnan was 17 at the time of her casting and had not yet held a job or acted professionally. Her casting received significant media attention, especially in Canada, both due to the nature of the open casting call and for her Tamil Canadian identity.
In 2019, Today named her one of eighteen "Groundbreakers", a list of girls who were breaking down barriers and changing the world. Her performance in the show received positive reviews, with Variety saying it was a "breakout performance".
In 2021, she was named as a Breakout Actor in Time 100's Most Influential people.
|2020||Sidewalks Entertainment||Herself||1 episode|
|2020||Never Have I Ever||Devi Vishwakumar||Main role|
Awards and nominations
|2021||Independent Spirit Award||Best Female Performance in a New Scripted Series||Never Have I Ever||Nominated|||
|2021||Canadian Screen Awards||Cogeco Fund Audience Choice Award||Never Have I Ever||Pending|||
|2021||MTV Movie & TV Awards||Best Kiss (with Jaren Lewison)||Never Have I Ever||Pending|||
- Simonpillai, Radheyan (29 August 2019). "Meet the Tamil-Canadian starring in Mindy Kaling's Netflix series". NOW Magazine. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "Get Used To Saying Maitreyi Ramakrishnan's Name". HuffPost Canada. 30 August 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "Meet Maitreyi Ramakrishnan: Star of Mindy Kaling's New Netflix Series". Brown Girl Magazine. 16 November 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "How one Mississauga teen beat out 15,000 other girls to star in Mindy Kaling's new Netflix series Never Have I Ever". Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- Ahearn, Victoria. "Tamil-Canadian Maitreyi Ramakrishnan on being a role model with 'Never Have I Ever'". Tri-City News. Retrieved 5 May 2020.
- Simonpillai, Radheyan (14 April 2020). "Maitreyi Ramakrishnan talks TikTok drama, sex and embracing Tamil culture". NOW Magazine. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "Maitreyi Ramakrishnan: How I Made It as an Actor - FLARE". www.flare.com. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "'Be that change': Maitreyi Ramakrishnan on starring in Mindy Kaling's new comedy". CBC News. 30 August 2019.
- Roy, Natasha. "Mreyi Ramakrishnan tackles Desi American teenhood in Mindy Kaling's new Netflix series".
- "Meet Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, the Canadian Teen Cast in Mindy Kaling's New Netflix Series". Elle Canada. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "These were the stories that got Toronto talking in 2019". CBC News. 28 December 2019.
- "Canadian teen nabs lead role in upcoming Mindy Kaling comedy for Netflix". CBC News. 10 July 2019.
- "Meet the Mississauga teen who beat out 15,000 actors to star in Mindy Kaling's new show". Toronto Life. 10 September 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "Meet Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, The Canadian Teen About To Take Over Netflix". www.refinery29.com. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- Sarner, Lauren (17 April 2020). "How Mindy Kaling's Netflix show 'Never Have I Ever' found its star". New York Post. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- Jaime, Angie. ""Never Have I Ever" Stars Promise Real, Messy Teenhood". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "Meet the 17-year-old who won an open casting call to star in Mindy Kaling's new show". TODAY.com. 27 September 2019. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "Groundbreakers: Celebrating 18 girls under 18 who are changing the world". TODAY.com. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- Lopez, Kristen (17 April 2020). "'Never Have I Ever' Review: Newcomer Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Dazzles in Mindy Kaling's Coming-of-Age Comedy". IndieWire. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- Bhavani, Divya Kala (20 April 2020). "'Never Have I Ever' review: Netflix's latest teen comedy by Mindy Kaling is a nuanced coming-of-age offering". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- Framke, Caroline (20 April 2020). "Netflix's 'Never Have I Ever' From Mindy Kaling and Lang Fisher: TV Review". Variety. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- "Virtual Presentations, Hosts". academy.ca. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "2021 TIME100 Next: Maitreyi Ramakrishnan". Time. Retrieved 28 February 2021.
- Lewis, Hilary (26 January 2021). "Film Independent Spirit Awards: 'Never Rarely Sometimes Always', 'Minari', 'Ma Rainey's Black Bottom', 'Nomadland' Top Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "2021 CSA Audience Choice Award Nominees". ET Canada, March 16, 2021.
- Del Rosario, Alexandra (19 April 2021). "MTV Movie & TV Awards Nominations: 'Emily In Paris', 'WandaVision' & 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Lead Nominations". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 19 April 2021.