The Cyber suburb of Colombo
|Elevation||28 m (92 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (SLT)|
Malabe (මාලඹේ, மாலபே) is a suburb of Colombo in the Colombo District, Sri Lanka. It is situated on the New Kandy Road (Kaduwela Road) about 10 km (6.2 mi) away from the centre of the commercial capital Colombo. This suburb is very important economic center in Colombo city.
Malabe is the home to the MillenniumIT (known as Millennium Information Technologies or MIT), a Sri Lankan-based information technology firm that specialises in electronic trading systems and a fully owned technology business sector of London Stock Exchange Group.
There are number of state and private Schools in Malabe and there are several private degree awarding institutes.
- Malabe Boys School
- Sri Rahula Balika Maha Vidyalaya
- Horizon International School
Malabe is a Sinhala majority area; there are minor communities belonging to other ethnic groups, such as Moors and Tamils. Malabe has some Buddhist religious places of the Sinhalese belonging to the Theravada school which includes the local branch of the Mahamevnawa Buddhist Monastery
New Kandy Road (17) from Ethul Kotte to Balummahara via Malabe,Kaduwela, Kirindiwela and extending to Kandy along A1 highway:
- 17 - Panadura - Kandy
- 17/255 - Panadura - Kandy
- 17/08 - Galle - Matale
- 17/02 - Matara - Gampaha
- 17/05 - Kurunegala - Battaramulla
Local buses serving via B240 Rajagiriya - Bope road:
- 170 - Athurugiriya - Pettah
- 190 - Meegoda - Pettah
Local buses serving via B263 Malabe - Kaduwela Road:
- 177 - Kollupitiya - Kaduwela
Local buses terminating at Malabe:
- 993 - Maharagama - Malabe
- 336 - Kottawa - Malabe
- 336/1 - Kottawa - Malabe (via Horahena)
- 344 - Athurugiriya - Malabe
- A proposed Multi-modal transport hub is to be constructed to link the city to the Colombo Monorail and BRT.
- Malabe is located near the entrance to the Outer-circular Expressway Kaduwela interchange.