|Motto: The Cyber suburb of Colombo|
|Elevation||28 m (92 ft)|
|Time zone||SLT (UTC+5:30)|
|Postal Code||10115 |
Malabe is a suburb of Colombo city in Colombo District, Sri Lanka. It is situated on the New Kandy Road (Kaduwela Road) about 10 km away from the centre of the commercial capital Colombo. This suburb is very important economic center in Colombo city.
Malabe is the home to the MillenniumIT (known as Millennium Information Technologies or MIT) which a Sri Lanka based information technology firm that specializes in electronic trading systems and a fully owned technology business sector of London Stock Exchange Group.
There are number of state and private Schools in Malabe and there are several private degree awarding institutes.
- Malabe Boys School
- Sri Rahula Balika Maha Vidyalaya
Degree Awarding Institutes / Private Universities
- Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT)
- Colombo International Nautical and Engineering College (CINEC)
- South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM)
Malabe is a Sinhala majority area; there are minor communities belonging to other ethnic groups, such as Moors and Tamils. Malabe has some Buddhist religious places of the Sinhalese belonging to the Theravada school which includes Mahamewnaawa Asapuwa.
The main private hospital of area situated at Millennium Drive, Chandrika Kumaratunga Mawatha is known as Neville Fernando Teaching Hospital which is the teaching hospital to the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM).
- A1 - New Kandy Road High way Colombo to Kandy
- 177 Bus Kolpity to Kaduwela *170/190 as public transport
- A proposed Multi-modal transport hub is to be constructed to link the city to the Colombo Monorail and BRT.
- Malabe is located near the entrance to the Outer-circular Expressway Kaduwela interchange.