Melaka Aerorail is a proposed monorail line to be constructed in Malacca City. It will be constructed in two phase, 9.5 km for the first one while another at 8.7 km. The cost of construction is expected to be around RM 1.8 Billion. If it is successful, it will be the first aerorail network in Malaysia and Asia. The project, however, has been postponed indefinitely.
The first phase cost around RM586 million, involving a distance of 9.5 km. It includes the construction of 10 transit stations starting from the Ayer Keroh Toll Plaza, Zoo Melaka, Melaka International Trade Centre (MITC), Malacca Historic City Council Square (MBMB), Melaka Mall, Hospital Melaka, Melaka Sentral Station, Hang Tuah Mall, Big Clock Tower (Building Stadthuys) and crown Medical Centre (Heroes' Square) and end at Dataran Pahlawan in Bandar Hilir.
The project also involves a stopover (hotel) in each station, producing 2,500 rooms for accommodation. These hotels will be managed by the Leisure Group Hotels & Resorts Sdn Bhd. It is scheduled for completion in the first quarter of 2012.
The project was supposed to be commenced in 2010.
Association for the Improvement of Mass-Transit-Klang Valley - TRANSIT criticises the project and urge the state's government to improve its public bus service first. The project were also have been criticised by the Melaka Opposition member.
- Monorails in Malaysia
- Kuala Lumpur Monorail
- Melaka Monorail
- Public transport in Kuala Lumpur
- List of rapid transit systems
- List of monorail systems
- Ismail, Lukman (15 March 2008). "Pembinaan Aerorel Melaka diteruskan". Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Melaka Tunggu Kelulusan Kementerian Bagi Projek Aerorail Bernilai RM1.8 Bilion". Bernama. Bernama. 4 August 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Ali Rustam bawa pembangunan gajah putih?". Harakah Daily. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Melaka pertama guna Aerorail". KOSMO!. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Projek Aerorail Melaka Berharga RM1.5 Bilion Mula Tahun Depan". Bernama. 25 June 2009. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Kerajaan Melaka Diminta Kaji Semula Projek Aerorail RM1.5 Bilion". Bernama. 5 August 2008.
- Ahmad, Moaz. "Buses in the sky? Improve buses on land first". http://anilnetto.com/. Retrieved 24 November 2015. External link in
- Ahmad, Moaz (1 March 2008). "Aerorail in Malacca – is this a right move?". The Star. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Confusing messages over Malacca aerorail". The Sun Daily. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Aerorail not the solution for Malacca traffic woes". Malaysiakini. 29 June 2009. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Melaka tram project most troubling". Malaysiakini. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 24 November 2015.