|Broadcast area||Europe, Northern Africa & Middle East (including Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan)|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Owner||Marjan Television Network Ltd.|
|Sister channels||Manoto 2 (closed in June 2011)|
|Launched||28 October 2010|
|Former names||Manoto 1|
Manoto (Persian: من و تو lit. 'You and I') is an international free-to-air Persian language general entertainment channel launched in October 2010, owned by Marjan Television Network. It is based in London and its programs include documentaries, films, series, news and reports.
Marjan Television Network was established by Kayvan Abbassi and Marjan Abbassi.
Manoto's funding comes from venture capitalists, according to a 2011 report on human rights and information access in Iran by the Foreign Policy Centre, a UK-based independent think tank. The report did not name the venture capital firms behind the station. However, many Iranian analysts believe that the channel is promoting Iran's ousted monarchy.
Kayvan and Marjan Abbassi, the UK-based Iranian couple who launched Manoto 1, in 2010, stay out of the media spotlight. They and other Manoto 1 officials have usually declined to comment for their company and TV channel despite repeated requests for interviews.
Manoto's viewership rates are difficult to determine; however, anecdotal reports about the channel's ubiquitous popularity suggests that it has gained rapidly in market share to rival more established satellite channels like BBC Persian and VOA Persian TV. According to a BBC report in 2008, these channels may be watched by at least 30 percent of households inside Iran.
Befarmaeed Sham (Befarmāid Ŝām) (English: "Come Dine with Me"), is the Iranian version of the original British cooking show Come Dine with Me, in which participants host dinner parties and compete for the title of best cook and entertainer.
Googoosh Music Academy
In this program, Googoosh and her team of experts, Hooman Khalatbari and Babak Saeedi, help unknown Iranian performers maximize their talent in vocal music and singing, like the American program, American Idol. Hosted by Raha Etemadi, it was also launched in the British TV channel, Unique TV.
Manoto Stage is the biggest Persian-language talent show airing from London, England. It hosted by Raha Etemadi and produced by Roxy Amini and Saber (Roxy Saber). Stage has invited four Iranian music producers to coach, help, and judge the contestants: Reza Rouhani, Babak Saeedi, Hamed Nikpay and Sharam Azar (Sandi). Amir Hussein Eftekhari from Hamed Nikpay's group won the first airing of the show with a $50,000 prize. In addition, Stage has brought in several famous musical guest stars to perform live on the show, including Aref, Afshin, Sepideh, Ava Bahram and Shahab Tiam.
Miss World and Miss Universe
Miss World and Miss Universe, both are part of the Big Four international beauty pageants, have been shown on Manoto TV every year since 2011.
For one hour a day, five days a week this prime time magazine-style program, currently produced by Kasra Ghiassi and hosted by Sahar Sagharchi and Shaho Falahi, looks at topical stories from around the world. With some in-depth segments, as well as more light-hearted material, the show attracts big-name Iranian celebrity guests and a loyal following. Vahid Mahdavi presenting short reports all around the world and Lola Yeganeh Ameri presenting and producing the fashion content for the live show as well covering fashion, beauty, and culture topics around the world.
- ^ "About us". Manoto. 2010-11-30.
- ^ "~ﺱ ﺍﺯ "ﺑﻔﺮﻣﺎﯾﯿﺪ ﺷﺎﻡ ﺍﯾﺮﺍﻧﯽ" ﻧﻮﺑﺖ "ﺁﮐﺎﺩﻣﯽ ﻣﻮﺳﯿﻘﯽ ﺍﯾﺮﺍﻧﯽ" ﺭﺳﯿﺪ!" (in Persian). ﺳﯿﻨﻤﺎﯼ ﻣﺎ. Archived from the original on 20 November 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- ^ a b Torbati, Yeganeh. "London TV channel dips a toe into Iran culture war". Reuters. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- ^ Monavar Khalaj (10 April 2013). "Primetime battle for Iran's airwaves". Financial Times. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- ^ "Blog | Manoto TV". FRONTLINE. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- ^ "Googoosh Music Academy". Unique Television. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- ^ تو, Manoto من و. "Manoto TV". Manoto TV.
- ^ تو, Manoto من و. "Afshin Performance at 23:30 قسمت ۱۸ - نتیجه". Manoto TV (in Persian). Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- ^ تو, Manoto من و. "Sepideh Performance at 1:20:10 قسمت ۲۲ - نتیجه نهایی". Manoto TV (in Persian). Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- ^ "Home". www.avabahram.com. Retrieved 2020-05-10.
- ^ تو, Manoto من و. "Shahab Tiam performance at 21:20 قسمت ۱۰ - اعلام نتیجه هفته سوم". Manoto TV (in Persian). Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Official website (in Persian)
- Producing nostalgia: Iranian diaspora TV's rebranding of the Shah (Al-Jazeera in English)