Marine Products Export Development Authority
The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) is a Government of India company headquartered at Kochi. It was constituted on 24 th August 1972, under the Marine Products Export Development Authority Act 1972 (No.13 of 1972). The role envisaged for the MPEDA under the statute is comprehensive - covering fisheries of all kinds, increasing exports, specifying standards, processing, marketing, extension and training in various aspects of the industry.
MPEDA functions under the Department of Commerce, Government of India and acts as a coordinating agency with different Central and State Government establishments engaged in fishery production and allied activities.
Services Offered by MPEDA
- Registration of infrastructure facilities for Seafood Export trade
- Collection and dissemination of trade information
- Projection of Indian marine products in overseas markets by participation in
overseas fairs and organising international seafood fairs in India
- Implementation of development measures vital to the industry like
distribution of insulated fish boxes, putting up fish landing platforms, improvement of peeling sheds, modernisation of industry such as upgrading of plate freezers, installation of IQF machinery, generator sets, ice making machineries, quality control laboratory etc.
- Promotion of brackish water aquaculture for production of prawn for export.
- Promotion of deep sea fishing projects through test fishing, joint venture
and equity participation.