This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||14 December 1970|
|Genres||Classical music, chamber music, contemporary music|
Martin Fröst (born 14 December 1970) is a Swedish clarinetist. He lives in Stockholm and works with orchestras and conductors all over the world. As a chamber musician, he is also the artistic leader of the Mora Vinterfest in Sweden and Stavanger International Chamber Music Festival in Norway.
Fröst studied with Hans Deinzer in Germany and Sölve Kingstedt and Kjell-Inge Stevensson in Stockholm.
Fröst's repertoire encompasses not only the mainstream clarinet works, but also includes a number of contemporary commissions which Martin has personally championed, including Anders Hillborg's Peacock Tales (incorporating elements of mime and dance). Other composers who have written specially for Martin Fröst are: Krzysztof Penderecki, Kalevi Aho, Rolf Martinsson, Bent Sørensen, Victoria Borisova-Ollas, Karin Rehnqvist and Sven-David Sandström.
He collaborates with orchestras such as the Philharmonia Orchestra, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Chamber Orchestra of Europe, National Symphony Orchestra in Washington, Wiener Symphoniker, Minnesota Orchestra, Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, NHK Symphony Orchestra, Yomiuri Nippon Symphony Orchestra, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Oslo Philharmonic, Royal Stockholm Philharmonic, Iceland Symphony Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra, City of Birmingham Symphony, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra , Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra in New York and Rotterdam Philharmonic. His collaboration with choreographers, dancers, film makers have made his expansive programmes sought after in residencies and profile programmes.
Fröst also plays/conducts programmes with orchestras such as the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Oslo Philharmonic, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, the Verbier Festival Orchestra, Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Zürcher Kammerorchester, Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, Swedish Chamber Orchestra, Norrköping Symphony Orchestra and the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra.
Fröst has an extensive discography for BIS Records, with whom he had an exclusive contract until he signed with Sony Classical Records in 2014. His recording of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto and Clarinet Quintet (with the Amsterdam Sinfonietta and the Veratvo String Quartet respectively), released in 2003, has sold more than 200,000 copies. 'Dances to a Black Pipe' was released in Autumn 2011, coinciding with a European tour with the Australian Chamber Orchestra, with whom he made the recording.
- Martin Fröst- Roots (Sony. 2015)
- Martin Fröst - Plays Mozart (SACD-1893, 2013)
- Martin Fröst – Dances to a Black Pipe (SACD-1863, 2011)
- Fröst & Friends (SACD-1823, 2010)
- Crusell – The Three Clarinet Concertos (SACD-1723, 2008)
- Christopher Rouse – Orchestral Music (CD-1386, 2008)
- Nielsen & Aho Clarinet Concertos (SACD-1463, 2007)
- Weber – Clarinet Concertos (SACD-1523, 2006)
- Brahms – Clarinet Sonatas & Trio (SACD-1353, 2005)
- Karin Rehnqvist – Arktis Arktis! (CD-1396, 2005)
- Holmboe – Concertos for Piano, Clarinet and Oboe; Beatus Parvo (CD-1176, 2004)
- Mozart – Clarinet Concerto & Quintet (SACD 1283, 2003)
- Schumann – Works for Clarinet & Piano (CD-944, 2003)
- James MacMillan – The Confession of Isobel Gowdie (CD-1169, 2002)
- The Pied Piper of the Opera – Opera paraphrases on the clarinet (CD-1053, 2000)
- Clarinet Concertos dedicated to Benny Goodman (CD-893, 1998)
- 'Hekas! – Östgöta Symphonic Wind Ensemble (CD-818, 1997)
- Close Up (CD-744, 1997)
- French Beauties and Swedish Beasts (CD-693, 1994)
- Penderecki (CD-652, 1994)
- 1st Prize Geneva Competition (1997)
- Nippon Music Award (1997)
- Litteris et Artibus (2012)
- The Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter's Culture Award (Swedish)
- Borletti-Buitoni Trust Award 2003
- BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist 2003-2005
- Léonie Sonning Music Prize 2014
- "Clarinettist and conductor Martin Fröst signs to Sony Classical". Gramophone (December 2014).