Marva J. Daniel Futures Preparatory School
|Marva J. Daniel Futures Preparatory School|
|295 Carlton Street
|Principal||Tonja M. Williams|
|S.A.M.||Serena M. Restivo|
|Dean of Students||Samuel T. Reynolds|
Marva J. Daniel Futures Preparatory School (formerly School 37 and later Futures Academy) is an elementary school in Buffalo, New York. It is located at 295 Carlton Street and serves Grades PreK through 8. The current school principal is Tonja Williams.
Futures Academy is located in the Fruit Belt of Buffalo's East Side, and a few blocks away from the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. It is one of two Buffalo Public Schools that utilizes full Art Deco style throughout its construction.
Public School No. 37 was built in 1869 as an annex to School 15. A small schoolhouse was organized as Public School 37 in 1881 in a one story frame building at Williamsville Road and Genesee Street, but was instead assigned School 9. In 1885, a two story brick structure belonging at the corner of Peach and Carlton Streets was remodeled to house Public School No. 37. From 1917-1920 multiple renovations were made to the structure that included the addition of a large assembly hall. The present structure was completed from funds given by the Public Works Administration, making it the first local structure of its kind to be built with such funding.
In 1926, Public School 37 (along with Schools 41 and 47) were combined and renamed East Central Pre-Vocational Group. The school offered students vocational and career courses in business, typing, bookkeeping, accounting, banking and office management. A new building for School 37 was built in 1937 at 295 Carlton, and continued to serve as an annex to School 15 as well as Girl's Vocational School before serving as a Center School through the 1960s. In 1980, the school was renamed to Futures Academy and underwent a program change as part of the district's desegregation program. In 2013, the school's name was changed to Marva J. Daniel Futures Preparatory School in honor of former principal Marva Daniel.
Previous assignment and reason for departure denoted in parentheses
- Frederick C. Vogt
- Frederick C. Peters
- Warren W. Zurbick
- Ruth M. Metz
- Joseph C. Flynn
- Charles R. McCarthy
- Anthony Fatalcamo
- William F. Chambers
- Evelyn D. Cooper
- Catherine Benjamin
- Marva J. Howell Daniel–1987-2002 (Principal - School 77, retired)
- Letizia Conrad–2002-2007 (Principal - Frank A. Sedita Academy, retired)
- Deana Stevenson–2007-2011 (Academy Director - Stepping Stone Charter School, named Principal of BUILD Academy)
- School Administration Manager
- PS 37 Futures Academy. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.buffaloah.com/a/carlton/295/index.html
- Weed, G. M. (2001). School days of yesterday: Buffalo public school history. (p. 55). Buffalo: Buffalo Standard Printing.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2007, August 7). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments[permanent dead link].
- Buffalo Public Schools (2011, July 20). Meeting of the Board of Education: Principal Appointments[permanent dead link].