576i (SDTV) 16:9|
1080i (HDTV) 16:9
|Audience share||8.4% (P4+: 0.9%) (Ind4+, 2015, )|
1) Singapore |
2) Johor, Malaysia
|Headquarters||Mediacorp Campus ,1 Stars Avenue , Singapore 138507|
|Mediacorp - Analogue (PAL-B)||Channel 24 (UHF 495.25 MHz) Will cease starting 1 January 2019.|
|Mediacorp - Digital (DVB-T2)||Channel 31 (HD) (UHF 554 MHz) (LCN 05) (HD)|
|StarHub TV||Channel 105 (HD)|
|Mediacorp (Analog, via SCTV socket)||Channel 24 (UHF 495.25 MHz)|
|Mediacorp (via SCTV socket)||
(UHF 642.00 MHz) (SD)|
(UHF 514.00 MHz) (HD)
|Singtel TV||Channel 5 (HD)|
Mediacorp Vasantham (Tamil: வசந்தம்) is a Singapore Tamil language entertainment free-to-view commercial broadcast television network that is owned by the Mediacorp, a subsidiary of Government of Singapore's Sovereign wealth fund, Temasek Holdings. The channel currently broadcast from Mediacorp headquarters, Caldecott Broadcast Centre but will shift its operation to newly built Mediacorp Campus this coming September 2016.   The channel dedicated to the Singaporean Indians in Singapore. Vasantham originally launched on 1 September 1995 an English children's and highbrow channel named Premiere 12. Tamil programmes were included on 30 January 2000, when it was renamed Central, and later relaunched as a standalone Tamil channel on 19 October 2008. Programmes in Tamil and other Indian languages have increased from 29 to 69 hours each week. With the extended hours, there are more reality programmes, live talk shows, reruns and the introduction of long form dramas.
1963-1994: Tamil Programming on Channel 8
Tamil programming was originally shown on Channel 8 from its inception on 23 November 1963 until 1 September 1995, when it became a standalone Chinese channel and began broadcasting 24 hours a day and the launch of Premiere 12.
1995-2000: As Premiere 12
Channel 12 underwent a revamp, becoming Prime 12 and Premiere 12, bringing audiences a unique, diverse array of programmes. Now Singaporeans would be able to enjoy outstanding documentaries, artistic performances, enriching children's programmes, prestigious international sports events as well as Malay, Indian and foreign language content. Tamil programmes were transferred from Channel 8 to the existing Channel 12, resulting to be renamed Prime 12 with their new slogan, "Speaking Your Language".
2000-2008: Vasantham Central
On 30 January 2000, Tamil programmes were transferred to Premiere 12, meaning that Prime 12 was renamed Suria and became a standalone Malay channel. Premiere 12 was renamed Central. Central had 3 program belts:
- Kids Central – a children's television channel with enriching educational and animation programming
- Vasantham Central – a Tamil language channel
- Arts Central – a channel that showcases art, cultural and largely foreign award-winning productions; it incorporated a significant amount of niche programming, making the channel distinctive compared to the others
2008 – present: Vasantham gets its own channel
On 19 October 2008, Central was restructured. The program belt of Vasantham Central was extended to form the new Vasantham, a full-fledged Indian channel to provide better television programmes to the Indian community of Singapore, as announced in January 2008 when the Parliament of Singapore decided to expand the Tamil language Vasantham Central into a standalone Tamil language channel. Vasantham took over the frequency of Central.
Mediacorp Vasantham provides 69 hours of regularly scheduled network programming each week.There are daily local soap dramas on weekdays, local variety/entertainment and info-educational programmes and four live shows per week on the channel.
- Vasantham Tamil Seithi - The channel's main news in Tamil is shown at 8:30 pm daily and repeats at 11:30 pm from Monday to Wednesday but on Thursday, Friday and weekends; the time for the repeat telecast varies and broadcasts immediately before closedown.
There are 7 movie slots per week.
- Bollywood Masti – blockbuster hits from the Glitz and Glamour of the Bollywood film industry; its main block slogan is "Enjoy Discreetly"
- Cinema Express – encore movie slot featuring the best of Kollywood movies
- Indian Panorama – featuring regional movies from India; includes Telugu, Marathi, Malayalam, Kannada and Punjabi movies
- Tamil Silver Screen – the latest blockbuster hits from the Kollywood film industry
- Tamil Talkies - blockbuster hits of the 90s and early 2000s from the Kollywood film industry
- Vasantham Box Office – evergreen movies of yesteryear from Kollywood
- Vasantham Gold - movies from the 70s to the 80s of the Kollywood film industry
- Most popular series
- Janani D/O Madhavan
- Kannadi Pookal (TV series)
- Vallamai Tharayo
- Vettai (Season 1: Vettai : Pledged to Hunt, Season 3: Vettai 3: The Final Judgment)
- Alaipayuthey (2017 TV series)
- Iruvar (TV series)
- Janani D/O Madhavan (season 2)
- Ithu Namma Veedu
- Yaar? (TV series)
- Monday and Tuesday: 15:00 to 00:00
- Wednesday and Thursday: 15:00 to 00:30 SST
- Friday: 15:00 to 00:30 or late SST
- Saturday and Sunday: 13:00 to 00:30 or late SST
- Public holidays: 06:00, 09:00 or 10:00 to 00:30 SST
- Hindu holidays: 24-hours
- "Ind4+" refers to Indians aged 4 and above (2015 potential viewer base is 590,000)
- P4+ share calculation is done based on Ind4+ share
- "P4+" refers to people aged 4 and above (2015 potential viewer base is 5,224,000)
- "Straits Times". 7 July 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Company Overview of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited". Bloomberg Business.
- "Mediacorp Campus". 28 April 216. Retrieved 28 April 2016. Check date values in:
- "Contact Us". 28 April 216. Retrieved 28 April 2016. Check date values in:
- "See us in a new light Video". 28 April 216. Retrieved 28 April 2016. Check date values in:
- "Memories of the hill". 28 April 216. Retrieved 28 April 2016. Check date values in:
- "Vasantham | Explore Mediacorp | Mediacorp Advertising". MediaCorp. Retrieved 2015-11-23.