Media in Waterloo Region
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2013)|
|Frequency||Call sign||Location||Name / Format||Owner||Notes|
|570 AM||CKGL||Kitchener||570 News - news/talk||Rogers Communications|
|88.3 FM||CJIQ-FM||Kitchener||CJIQ - campus radio||Conestoga College|
|89.1 FM||CBLA-FM-2||Paris||CBC Radio One||Canadian Broadcasting Corporation||Studios in Kitchener
Local programming began in 2013
|91.5 FM||CKBT-FM||Kitchener||91.5 The Beat - CHR/Top 40||Corus Entertainment|
|94.3 FM||CJTW-FM||Kitchener||Faith FM 94.3 - christian radio||Sound of Faith Broadcasting Inc|
|96.7 FM||CHYM-FM||Kitchener||CHYM FM - light rock/adult contemporary||Rogers Communications|
|98.5 FM||CKWR-FM||Waterloo||FM 98.5 CKWR - community radio||Wired World Inc|
|99.5 FM||CKKW-FM||Waterloo||KFUN 99.5 - classic hits||Bell Media Radio|
|100.3 FM||CKMS-FM||Waterloo||100.3 Sound FM - campus radio and community radio||Radio Waterloo Inc.||CKMS-FM|
|102.5 FM||CKAV-FM-8||Kitchener||Aboriginal Voices Radio - First Nations||Aboriginal Voices||(defunct) - Station was never launched|
|105.3 FM||CFCA-FM||Waterloo||105.3 Kool FM - hot adult contemporary||Bell Media Radio|
|106.7 FM||CIKZ-FM||Waterloo||Country 106.7 - country music||Rogers Communications|
|107.5 FM||CJDV-FM||Kitchener||107.5 Dave FM - rock||Corus Entertainment|
Stations from neighbouring regions such as Toronto, Hamilton, Guelph and London are also available, and there are retransmission towers in nearby Paris, Ontario for Toronto-based broadcasts of CBC Radio 2, Ici Musique and Ici Radio-Canada Première.
The only broadcast TV station based in Waterloo Region is CKCO-DT, which called itself CTV Southwestern Ontario from 2005 and is now known as CTV Kitchener. It is located in Kitchener and is owned by Bell Media. The region is also served by Rogers TV, a community channel based in Kitchener available only to Rogers Cable subscribers. It provides local talk shows and coverage of special events and local hockey games.
Stations and rebroadcasters located in the immediate vicinity of Waterloo Region include:
Waterloo Region received CBC and Radio-Canada from rebroadcasters of Toronto's CBLT and CBLFT, respectively, until the CBC shut down all of its analog rebroadcasters in 2012. Those stations are now piped in via Rogers Cable.
Although other networks / systems such as Citytv and CTV Two are not readily available over the air, stations from adjacent markets for most such services are available on the basic service of Rogers Cable.
The daily newspaper serving Waterloo Region is Metroland Media Group's Waterloo Region Record. In addition to the regional newspaper, Metroland also publishes local newspapers for the individual communities in the region. In Kitchener, it has published Kitchener Post since June 2011. Equivalent local newspapers exist for Waterloo and Cambridge in the form of Waterloo Chronicle and Cambridge Times, respectively. Prior to 2004, a separate local newspaper, Cambridge Reporter, was published, but has since been merged with the Cambridge Times.
The regional townships are also served by their own local newspapers. Elmira Independent and The Observer are aimed towards readers in Elmira and Woolwich, and New Hamburg Independent for New Hamburg and Wilmot.
- A\J: Alternatives Journal, circulation about 5,000, based at the University of Waterloo since 1984, is a bi-monthly national Canadian magazine exploring environmental science, issues, policy and debate. It is the official publication of the Environmental Studies Association of Canada.
- Exchange Magazine for Business, circulation 20,000, is 8 time a year business magazine and Monday to Friday online business daily that has been publishing in the Waterloo Region area since 1983.
- Visitor Guide, circulation 100,000, is a 3 time a year tourist magazine that has been published in Waterloo Region since 1978.
- Stare City Guide, A locally owned publication based in Waterloo that promotes noteworthy independent businesses in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. Since 2010.
- Chinese Canadian Voice, the first Chinese community monthly magazine based in Cambridge, covering community news and events in Southwestern Ontario. Since 2013