Mount Union Historic District
Mount Union Historic District
Shirley and Jefferson Streets, February 1990
|Location||Roughly bounded by Water and Greene Sts., the I.O.O.F Cemetery, Washington and Lafayette Sts., Shirley Township, Mount Union, Pennsylvania|
|Area||180 acres (73 ha)|
|Architectural style||Late Victorian, Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements, Modern Movement|
|NRHP Reference #||94000516|
|Added to NRHP||May 26, 1994|
Mount Union Historic District is a national historic district located at Mount Union in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. The district includes 58 contributing buildings, 3 contributing sites, and 1 contributing structure in the central business district and surrounding residential areas of Mount Union. Notable buildings include the Federal-style John Shaver House (1818), Shapiro Theater (1915), T.A. Appleby Store and House (c. 1870), Kenmar Hotel (1880s, 1904), Penn Central National Bank (1916), Peduzzi's and the Weller Building (1913-1914), Pennsylvania Railroad Freight Depot (1914), St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church (1904-1905), First United Methodist Church (1925-1926), St. Catherine of Siena Roman Catholic Church (1912-1913), Mount Union Elementary School (1923-1924), and U.S. Post Office (1936). The contributing sites include the I.O.O.F. community cemetery, founded in 1872, and the former Victoria Park. Located in the district and listed separately is the Harbison-Walker Refractories Company complex.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "National Historic Landmarks & National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania" (Searchable database). CRGIS: Cultural Resources Geographic Information System. Note: This includes Frederick L. Richards (January 1994). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Mount Union Historic District" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-12-03.
All of the following are located in Mount Union, Huntingdon County, PA:
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. PA-5974, "Town of Mount Union, Near U.S. Highway 522", 14 photos, 10 data pages, 2 photo caption pages
- HABS No. PA-5987, "Saints Peter & Paul Orthodox Church, North Jefferson & Sherman Streets", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. PA-5988, "Mt. Hope Baptist Church, Chestnut & Division Streets", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. PA-5989, "U.S. Post Office, Market & South Jefferson Street", 3 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. PA-5992, "T. A. Giacobello Foreign Supplies Store, Shirley Street", 2 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. PA-5993, "John Sharrar House, West Water Street near Division Street", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. PA-6005, "General Refractories Company, Superintendent's House, 118 Market Street", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. PA-6006, "General Refractories Company, Office, Market Street", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page