This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Automotive, Technical Ceramics|
|Founded||26 October 1936|
|Shinichi Odo |
(President and CEO)
|Subsidiaries||NGK Spark Plug Europe GmbH, NGK Spark Plug (UK) LTD., NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), inc.|
|Website||NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.|
NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd. (日本特殊陶業株式会社 Nihon Tokushu Tōgyō Kabushiki-gaisha) is a public company established in 1936 and based in Nagoya, Japan. NGK manufactures and sells spark plugs and related products for internal combustion engines, along with ceramics and applicable products.
As of March 2007[update], the company employed 10,407 people, and operated a network of 7 liaison offices, 12 sales offices, 13 production sites and 2 technical centers worldwide. NGK Spark Plugs was founded as a spin-off of the spark plug division of NGK Insulators. Originally, NGK supplied most of its products to Japanese automakers.
In 2018 the company became a shareholder of aftermarket data firm TecAlliance.
NGK stands for Nippon (Japan) Gaishi (insulator) Kaisha (company).
Established in 1966 - NGK Spark Plugs (USA), Inc. was founded as a subsidiary of NGK Spark Plug Co, Ltd., of Japan. Its corporate headquarters was first located in California and then moved to its current location in Wixom, Michigan. The company produces spark plugs in Irvine, California, and produces both spark plugs and oxygen sensors in Sissonville, West Virginia.
NGK established its first European subsidiary, NGK Spark Plugs (U.K.) Ltd. in 1975. In 1979 they established their second European subsidiary, NGK Spark Plug Deutschland GmbH, in Germany. Ten years later it was renamed NGK Spark Plug Europe GmbH when it took charge of operations in Europe. In 2017 its remit further expanded across the EMEA region.
NGK Spark Plug Europe has been run by Managing Director Masaki Sumiya since 2013 and it employs more than 800 people.
The European division has been operating a dedicated R&D unit since 1990. As well as designing and testing new prototype automotive products, the center develops technologies to combat issues such as vehicle exhaust emissions, and provides technical support to European car manufacturers.
Since 2000, NGK Spark Plug Europe in Ratingen operates its own logistics center. It has a plant with 6,000 m2 (65,000 sq ft) of surface area and produces 25 million spark plugs as well as glowplugs for diesel motors.
NGK Spark Plugs supplies ignition and sensor products to the automotive, motorcycle, marine and power tool markets. In the Aftermarket these products are supplied to parts wholesalers and distributors.
Additionally, the company’s Technical Ceramics business unit produces fine ceramics, cutting tools and products for the medical industry, under NTK Technical Ceramics.
In December 2017, the company announced it will shift its focus towards solid-state batteries, utilizing its ceramics expertise. The company said it is shifting its focus, due to an anticipated shift to EVs in the future that could turn its spark plug and oxygen sensor operations obsolete.
NGK Spark Plugs are also used by a variety of Formula One teams including Ferrari, McLaren, Sauber, Force India and Scuderia Toro Rosso. NGK Spark Plugs was exclusive spark plug supplier for IndyCar Series since 2007 until 2011. But in 2012 until present, NGK only supplied for Honda-powered IndyCar Series teams. NGK Spark Plugs are currently the exclusive spark plug supplier for MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 and Superbike World Championship for motorcycle racing category.
- NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. | Profile of the Company
- NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. | Overseas Network
- "Until 1969 Since Establishment". NGK Insulators. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "NGK BECOMES SHAREHOLDER OF TECALLIANCE | CAT Magazine | CAT Magazine". www.catmag.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "Company History - A History of NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. | NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD". NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "Executive Officers - Corporate Profile | NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD". NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "NGK Technical Centre Germany - Professional Motor Mechanic". pmmonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "NGK-NTK Website: NGK SPARK PLUG'S EXPANDED OXYGEN SENSORS RANGE SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASES PARC COVERAGE". www.ngkntk.com. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- Masige, Sharon (2018-05-03). "Damien Germès Senior Vice President EMEA of NGK Spark Plug Europe". The CEO Magazine. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "NGK to launch new Engine Speed and Position Sensor Range - Autobiz.ie". www.autobiz.ie. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- Tajitsu, Naomi (21 December 2017). "Bracing for EV shift, NGK Spark Plug ignites all solid-state battery quest". Reuters. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "NGK supplies racing spark plugs to F1 teams - Professional Motor Mechanic". pmmonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "Exclusive interview: How trailblazing transgender driver Charlie Martin put her life on track". www.telegraph.co.uk. The Telegraph. 30 November 2018.
- "NGK expands sponsorship with NHRA top sportsman driver Don O'Neal". www.searchautoparts.com. Search Auto Parts. 6 April 2018.