|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Industry||Heavy Equipment Manufacturing|
|Founded||Osaka, Japan 1912 (as Yamaoka Hatsudoki Kosakusho)|
|Headquarters||1-32, Chayamachi, Kita-ku, Osaka, Japan|
|Takehito Yamaoka, President|
Unmanned aerial vehicles
|Revenue||703.8 Billion yen (March 2016) Consolidated|
Number of employees
|17,974 (consolidated as of March 31, 2016)|
Yanmar Co., Ltd. (ヤンマー株式会社 Yanmā Kabushiki-Gaisha?) is a Japanese diesel engine manufacturer with more than 100 years of history. The engines are used in a wide range of applications, including seagoing vessels, construction equipment, agricultural equipment and generator sets. Within the last 20 years, Yanmar has also established a growing presence in the domestic UAV market in Japan and elsewhere, with small helicopter UAVs such as the Yanmar YH300 SL and Yanmar AYH-3, primarily used in agricultural spraying and other forms of aerial application.
Yanmar is for the most part a corporation specializing in diesel engines, and also makes light fishing boats, hulls for ships, tractors, combine harvesters, rice-planting machines, gas heat pumps, snow throwers, transporters, tillers, mini excavators, portable diesel generators Side by Side UTV and Heavy Utility Machinery. Yanmar is one of the most famous among the top brands of agricultural, marine machinery in Japan and the world. At the beginning of the company in 1907, when they manufactured gasoline-powered engines, then switching to diesel in 1920, Yanmar's competitors in engine manufacture were Daihatsu and Isuzu for diesel engines. Yanmar competitor for farming machinery is Iseki.
Yanmar was the first to put a diesel engine in a rice planting machine with a passenger seat. Small, light, air-cooled diesel engines are Yanmar's speciality. Yanmar also supplies engines to John Deere tractors and Thermo King Corporation used in refrigerated trucks and trailers. It also has a presence in both the domestic and international UAV markets.
Yanmar is the patron of the J. League Division 1 soccer team Cerezo Osaka and sponsor for AFC Champions League, Yanmar Racing and several weather forecast programmes on Japanese television. They sponsor a German football club Borussia Dortmund and also are a global sponsor to Manchester United F.C..
Company name origin
As described on the company website, "The name [Yanmar] is a combination of the Yanma Dragonfly (known by names such as Oniyanma and Ginyanma) and the "Yama" from the name of the company founder Magokichi Yamaoka."
- 1912 - Yamaoka Magokichi sets up business under the name Yamaoka Engine Workshop.
- 1931 - Inauguration of Yamaoka Engine Workshop limited.
- 1936 - Inauguration of Yamaoka Internal Combustion Machines limited.
- 1940 - Yamaoka Internal Combustion Machines amalgamates with Yamaoka Engine Workshop.
- 1952 - Company name changes to Yanmar Diesel limited.
- 1992 - Yamaoka Magokichi sets up business with small tractors.
- 1992 - Company name changes to Yanmar Diesel limited.
- 1999 - In this year the Yanmar Company starts the production of the famous Yanmar YMxxxx (four digits) series for the local market - this was one of the world's bestsellers at that time.
- 2002 - Company starts the mass production of the F and FX series for local market - a new world success in the tractor manufacturing business.
- 2002 - After a world success the company changes to Yanmar limited.
- 2003 - A joint venture was established in Shandong, China with Shandong Shifeng called Shandong Shifeng Yanmar Engine Co.
- 2016 - Yanmar increased its stake in the Indian company International Tractors, the maker of Sonalika branded tractors, to 30%. The company also bought German compact equipment maker Schaeff and forged a partnership with Toyota to develop “next generation hulls” for boats.
Media programmes sponsored by Yanmar
- Yanbo Marbo Weather Forecast (ヤン坊マー坊天気予報, Yanbo-Marbo Tenki Yoho)
- Fishery News (漁業ニューズ) on Wakayama Broadcasting System Co.
- FTV News sponsored by Yanmar (ヤンマー提供FTVニュース, Yanmar Teikyo FTV Nyusu) on Fukushima TV.
- Yanmar Family Hour (ヤンマーファミリーアワー, Yanmar Famiri Awa) on Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, including
- Yanmar L48 diesel small engine
- Yanmar 2GM20
- Yanmar RR50 Planting Machine
- Yanmar F16D Tractor
- Yanmar YC80-G Handy Tractor
- Yanmar YM2620D Tractor
- Yanmar F22D Tractor
- Yanmar AP45A Generator
- , About Brand page on yanmar.com; accessed 2016-01-14.
- PM, Indulal; Mukherjee, Sharmistha (December 23, 2016). "Yanmar buys Blackstone's 18% stake in International Tractors". The Economic Times. The Times Group. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- Malone, Joe (January 30, 2017). "Schaeff machinery makes its return". International Rental News. KHL Group. Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- Milberg, Evan (March 14, 2016). "Toyota Unveils New Boat Made with Composites". Composites Manufacturing. American Composites Manufacturers Association. Retrieved February 13, 2017.