Keïta with RB Leipzig in 2016
|Full name||Naby Laye Keïta|
|Date of birth||10 February 1995|
|Place of birth||Conakry, Guinea|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
|2014–2016||Red Bull Salzburg||59||(17)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:49, 12 May 2018 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 9 October 2017
Keïta moved from Horoya AC to France in 2012, joining the youth team of FC Istres after unsuccessful trials at FC Lorient and Le Mans FC. In 2013, he was promoted to the first team of Istres. He made his Ligue 2 debut on 22 November 2013 against Nîmes Olympique. He scored 11 goals in 23 games in his first season as a professional footballer in Ligue 2. However his efforts were not enough as his team were relegated to the Championnat National.
Red Bull Salzburg
In 2014, he joined Austrian top division side Red Bull Salzburg. He made his league debut on 26 July 2014 against Wiener Neustadt. Keïta ended the season with five goals and two assists in 30 games, winning the league and cup double. The following season, he was selected as the Austrian Bundesliga Player of the Year.
In June 2016, Keïta moved to Red Bull Salzburg sister-club RB Leipzig, who had just been promoted to the German Bundesliga. He scored the winner on his league debut against Borussia Dortmund and scored seven more goals in his debut Bundesliga season.
On 28 August 2017, it was announced that a deal had been agreed with RB Leipzig for Keita to join Liverpool on 1 July 2018 after Liverpool triggered his £48 million release clause in addition to paying an undisclosed premium. It was later revealed that the premium was £9 million (£57 million total) if Leipzig did not qualify for European football, £14 million (£62 million total) if they qualified for the Europa League and £18 million (£66 million total) if they finished in the Champions League spots. Leipzig finished 6th in the Bundesliga, qualifying for the Europa League.
Document Falsification Charges
In Autumn 2017, Keïta was charged with document falsification. German Bild newspaper reported, that he has received a fine of €415,000. Therefore he should pay 50 daily rates à €8,300 for the fact that he has submitted in early December 2016 and six weeks later two fake driver's licenses from his Guinea home in order to obtain a driving license in Germany. The district court in Leipzig (Amtsgericht Leipzig) based its sentence on Keita's net income of around three million euro per year. The lawyer of Keïta has filed an appeal against the penalty order. Thus it will come to a process to the Leipzig district court (Amtsgericht Leipzig), which is not due until 2018.
Style of play
Keita is described as a dynamic, box-to-box central midfielder. He is also able to distribute the ball with range and accuracy, score goals frequently and has been compared to N'Golo Kanté and Deco.
- As of match played 12 May 2018
|FC Istres||2013–14||Ligue 2||23||4||0||0||—||—||23||4|
|FC Red Bull Salzburg||2014–15||A. Bundesliga||30||5||4||0||10[a]||1||—||44||6|
- Scores and results list Guinea's goal tally first.
|1.||12 November 2015||Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek, Namibia||Namibia||1–0||1–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2.||15 November 2015||Stade Mohamed V, Casablanca, Morocco||Namibia||2–0||2–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|3.||10 June 2017||Stade Bouaké, Bouaké, Ivory Coast||Ivory Coast||3–2||3–2||2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualification|
|4.||31 August 2017||Stade du 28 Septembre, Conakry, Guinea||Libya||1–0||3–2||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|5.||7 October 2017||Stade du 28 Septembre, Conakry, Guinea||Tunisia||1–0||1–4||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
Red Bull Salzburg
- "Naby Keita: 10 things on RB Leipzig's Liverpool-bound Guinea midfielder". Bundesliga. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "N. Keïta: Summary". Soccerway. Perform Group. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Liverpool agree deal to sign Naby Keita". Liverpool Football Club. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Ten things on RB Leipzig's new African star Naby Keita". Bundesliga. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Istres vs. Nîmes – 22 November 2013". Soccerway. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Ligue 2 table".
- "Wiener Neustadt vs. Red Bull Salzburg – 26 July 2014". Soccerway. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Fußball: Naby Keita wechselt von Salzburg zu Leipzig, salzburg.com, 20 June 2016
- "Leipzig get first Bundesliga win with Keïta goal against Borussia Dortmund | Football". The Guardian. Associated Press. 10 September 2016. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Naby Keita: Liverpool agree club-record deal for Leipzig midfielder for July 2018". BBC News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Liverpool agree deal to sign Naby Keita". Liverpool FC. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "RB Leipzig's Season Finish Could Wind Up Increasing Liverpool's Fee for Naby Keita". Sports Illustrated. 14 December 2017. Retrieved 14 December 2017.
- "Leipzig-Star soll ein Vermögen an Strafe zahlen". Die Welt. 7 November 2017. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Nick Ames and Nick Miller (28 December 2016). "Rising football stars: 10 players to watch in 2017 | Football". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Keita, Naby Leye". National Football Teams. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Official Bundesliga Team of the Season for 2016/17". bundesliga.com. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "UEFA Europa League Squad of the 2017/18 Season". UEFA. 17 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Naby Keita.|
- Naby Keïta at National-Football-Teams.com