Bailly warming up for Manchester United in 2017
|Full name||Eric Bertrand Bailly|
|Date of birth||12 April 1994|
|Place of birth||Bingerville, Ivory Coast|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10 August 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 20:31, 30 March 2018 (UTC)
Eric Bertrand Bailly (French pronunciation: [eʁik bɛʁ.tʁɑ̃ baji]; born 12 April 1994) is an Ivorian professional footballer who plays for English club Manchester United and the Ivory Coast national team. Mainly a central defender, he can also play as a right-back.
Born in Bingerville, Bailly joined RCD Espanyol's youth system in December 2011, aged 17. Bailly was spotted by Espanyol’s Emilio Montagut after taking part in a youth tournament in Burkina Faso, organised by Spanish company Promoesport. Some records of that time erroneously list his name as Eric Bertrand (his middle name misinterpreted as his paternal surname). He only received a work permit in October of the following year, and made his senior debut in the 2013–14 campaign with the reserves, in Segunda División B.
On 29 January 2015, Bailly signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with fellow La Liga team Villarreal for a €5.7 million fee, mainly as a replacement to Arsenal-bound Gabriel Paulista. He made his debut for the Yellow Submarine on 22 February, starting in a 1–0 home win against Eibar.
On 18 October 2015, Bailly was sent off shortly after the interval in a 2–1 loss to Celta de Vigo at Estadio El Madrigal. He made seven appearances as the team reached the last four of the 2015–16 UEFA Europa League; on 22 October he scored his first career goal and only one for the team, to conclude a 4–0 home group win over Dinamo Minsk.
On 8 June 2016, Bailly joined Premier League side Manchester United for a reported fee of £30 million, signing a four-year contract, with the option of an additional two. He was the first player signed by their new manager José Mourinho.
He made his competitive debut on 7 August in a 2–1 win against Leicester City at Wembley Stadium to win the FA Community Shield, and was named man of the match. He was again named man of the match on his Premier League debut a week later, a 3–1 win at Bournemouth.
He was voted Manchester United's Player of the Month for August 2016. Talking to MUTV, he said "The Man-of-the-Match awards are something I hadn’t thought about but I got them through the hard work I have put in. I hope to see more of that in the weeks ahead of us." On 23 October 2016, Bailly was substituted off in the 52nd minute after suffering a serious knee injury during the 4–0 loss at Chelsea. He made 11 appearances as the Red Devils won the Europa League, and was named in the Squad of the Season.
On 19 August 2017, Bailly scored the first league goal of his club career, Manchester United's first in a 4–0 away win over Swansea City, following up after Paul Pogba's header came back off the underside of the crossbar.
On 29 December 2014, Bailly was included in Hervé Renard's 23-man squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations. He made his debut on 11 January 2015, in a friendly against Nigeria, and appeared in all six matches during the competition as his side were crowned champions.
- As of match played 10 August 2018
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|Espanyol B||2013–14||Segunda División B||20||0||—||—||—||—||20||0|
|2014–15||Segunda División B||1||0||—||—||—||—||1||0|
|Manchester United||2016–17||Premier League||25||0||0||0||1||0||11||0||1||0||38||0|
- As of match played 27 March 2018
- "Squads for 2016/17 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Eric Bailly". Premier League. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Jose Mourinho: Why I signed Eric Bailly". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. 6 July 2016. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Dos nous fitxatges per al futbol base (Two new signings for the youth setup); Espanyol's official website, 1 December 2011 (in Catalan)
- Wilkes, Paul (8 June 2016). "Eric Bailly: The Villarreal rock who Jose's made his first signing". FourFourTwo. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- Eric Bertrand ya tiene los papeles y puede debutar (Eric Bertrand already has the paperwork and can debut); Diario La Grada, 6 October 2012 (in Spanish)
- El Espanyol pone a Arrasate contra las cuerdas (Espanyol puts Arraste against the wall); Marca, 5 October 2014 (in Spanish)
- Eric, la perla de 20 millones (Eric, the pearl of 20 million); Sport, 13 December 2014 (in Spanish)
- El Villarreal CF ficha a Eric Bailly (Villarreal signs Eric Bailly) Archived 31 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine.; Villarreal's official website, 29 January 2015 (in Spanish)
- El Espanyol traspasa a Eric Bailly al Villarreal por 5,7 millones de euros (Espanyol transfers Eric Bailly to Villarreal for 5.7 million euros); El Mundo Deportivo, 29 January 2015 (in Spanish)
- Vietto, con licencia para marcar (Vietto, with a scoring license); Marca, 22 February 2015 (in Spanish)
- Slick Sevilla finish off ten-man Villarreal; UEFA.com, 19 March 2015
- "Last-gasp Nolito winner helps Eduardo Berizzo's side join Real Madrid and Barcelona at top of La Liga". Daily Mail. 18 October 2015. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Bakambu at double as Villarreal beat Dinamo". UEFA. 22 October 2015. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Rej, Arindam (8 June 2016). "Manchester United sign Eric Bailly from Villarreal on four-year contract". ESPN FC. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Eric Bailly has passed a medical at Manchester United". Sky Sports. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Manchester United sign Eric Bailly". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. 8 June 2016. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Froggatt, Mark (8 August 2016). "Video: Analysis of Bailly's United debut". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Gholam, Simeon (14 August 2016). "Bournemouth 1–3 Manchester United: Zlatan Ibrahimovic nets on debut in victory". Sky Sports. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "BAILLY IS UNITED'S PLAYER OF THE MONTH". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. 7 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "Eric Bailly: Manchester United defender suffers 'bad knee injury'". BBC Sports. 23 October 2016.
- "UEFA Europa League Squad of the Season". UEFA. 25 May 2017.
- Pritchard, Dafydd (19 August 2017). "Swansea City 0–4 Manchester United". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- 2015 Nations Cup: Kolo Toure in squad for last time; BBC Sport, 29 December 2014
- Kalou Hands Cote D'Ivoire Late Win Over Nigeria; SL10, 11 January 2015
- "Afcon 2017: Wilfried Zaha in Ivory Coast's final squad". BBC Sport. 4 January 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Eric Bailly at Soccerway. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Eric Bailly". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "CAF – CAF Awards – Previous Editions – 2016". CAFOnline. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- Football, CAF - Confederation of African. "CAF - CAF Awards - Current Edition". www.cafonline.com. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eric Bertrand Bailly.|