New York City (Kylie Minogue song)
|"New York City"|
|Single by Kylie Minogue|
|from the album Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection|
|Released||3 May 2019|
|Kylie Minogue singles chronology|
"New York City" is a song by Australian singer Kylie Minogue. It was released on 3 May 2019 by Darenote Limited and BMG, as the lead single from her fifth major greatest hits album, Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection (2019). The song was written by Minogue, Myles MacInnes, Karen Poole and its producer DJ Fresh. The song contains a sample of Mylo's "Drop the Pressure".
Background and composition
Minogue created a demo of "New York City" during the writing process for her fourteenth studio album Golden (2018), but it was not included on the project. The song received a minor announcement in April 2018, when Minogue sang a verse of the song during an interview with Build in New York City. The song was performed in full for the first time at the New York City show of her Kylie Presents Golden promotional tour, at the Bowery Ballroom, subsequently receiving acclaim from both fans and critics. It was later included as part of a Studio 54 medley on the Golden Tour, alongside "Raining Glitter" and "On a Night Like This".
"It was clear within seconds why Kylie left it off the Nashville-tinged 2018 album: it's a funky, disco-meets-freestyle strutter that sounds straight out of an early '80s Manhattan club, complete with a cheeky rapped portion with flavors of Blondie's "Rapture".
"New York City" was released on 3 May 2019 by record label BMG, and Minogue's own company Darenote Limited, as the lead single from her fifth major greatest hits album, Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection (2019). The song premiered on BBC Radio 2 on its release day, during The Zoë Ball Breakfast Show.
On the morning of the track's release, it was announced during ITV breakfast show Lorraine that a music video for "New York City" would be released, comprising various clips of performances taken from Minogue's Golden Tour. Minogue additionally confirmed this during her BBC Radio 2 interview. The music video premiered on her official YouTube channel on 9 May.
Minogue first spoke about "New York City" during promotion for Golden, during her interview with BUILD Series in 2018, after a fan had asked her about moving to the city itself, she sang a verse and the bridge acapella, stating it was a song that had stuck with her and her band. After this, the song was included in the set list for her show in the Bowery Ballroom in New York City, as part of the Kylie Presents: Golden shows; the song was performed at second time at the end of the show, following crowd request.
Later in 2018, Minogue included the song in the set list for the Golden Tour, where it was performed during the Studio 54 section of the show, in a disco medley with "Raining Glitter" and Light Years single "On a Night Like This", where Minogue emerged wearing a gold sequined Kolchagov Barba dress.
Credits and personnel
- Kylie Minogue – lead vocals, songwriting
- Karen Poole – backing vocals, songwriting
- DJ Fresh – guitar, horn, keyboards, mixing, songwriting, production
- Mylo – sample credit for "Drop the Pressure"
|Australia Digital Tracks (ARIA)||38|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||26|
|France Downloads (SNEP)||91|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||31|
|UK Download (Official Charts Company)||26|
|Various||3 May 2019|||
|Italy||Contemporary hit radio||BMG|||
- Lynch, Joe (26 June 2018). "Kylie Minogue Performs Unreleased Dance Jam 'New York City,' Covers 'Islands In the Stream' at Stunning Gig". Billboard. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- Berthelot, Théau (3 May 2019). ""New York City" : Kylie Minogue part en virée sur un inédit tubesque". Charts in France (in French). Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Kylie Minogue Sings a Few Lines of a Brand New Song". Build. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- Wass, Mike (2 May 2019). "Kylie Minogue Announces 'Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection'". Idolator. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "New York City by Kylie Minogue on Apple Music". iTunes Store. United Kingdom. Archived from the original on 6 May 2019. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- White, Jack (2 May 2019). "Kylie Minogue announces greatest hits album Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- Minogue, Kylie (3 May 2019). "Kylie Minogue on Twitter". Retrieved 3 May 2019 – via Twitter.
- Kelly, Lorraine (3 May 2018). "Lorraine". Series N/A. ITV. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- Ball, Zoë (presenter) (3 May 2019). Kylie, Josh Widdicombe and Tom Walker (streaming) (radio broadcast). United Kingdom: BBC Radio. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- Wass, Mike (9 May 2019). "Kylie Minogue Drops "New York City" Tour Montage Video". Idolator. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Kylie Minogue Sings A Few Lines Of A Brand New Song". YouTube.
- "New York City". Tidal. 3 May 2019. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "ARIA Australian Top 40 Digital Tracks" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. 13 May 2019. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "Ultratop.be – Kylie Minogue – New York City" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés – SNEP (Week 19, 2019)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "Kylie Minogue – New York City Radio Date". Radio Airplay FM. 3 May 2019. Archived from the original on 3 May 2019. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- Collins, Steve (3 May 2019). "Kylie approves of Tom Walker's live version of one of her songs on Radio 2". On the Radio. RadioToday. Archived from the original on 6 May 2019. Retrieved 3 May 2019.