North Springs Charter School of Arts and Sciences
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
|North Springs Charter High School|
|7447 Roswell Road
Sandy Springs, Georgia 30328
|Principal||Dr. Eddie Ruiz|
|Orange & Blue
North Springs Charter High School (formerly North Springs High School, 1963–2007) is a public secondary school located in Sandy Springs, Georgia. It is the only magnet school in the Fulton County School System that offers both arts and sciences. Students may participate in the Visual & Arts component and/or the Mathematics & Science component, depending on their qualifications and abilities.
North Springs Charter High School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Georgia Department of Education. The majority of the 2005 graduating class (97%) attends a four or two year college, and 68% of the 2005 graduating class are HOPE scholars. North Springs was a Georgia School of Excellence, a Grammy Signature School (1997), and a U.S. News & World Report Outstanding High School (2000). It was also one of Newsweek Magazine's Top 300 High Schools (2000). It gained Charter status for the 2007-2008 school year.
The school has had many individual athletic achievements, and won a state title in football led by Jim Gregory  in 1969, soccer in 1969, two state championships in wrestling in 1976 and 77, and two state championships in track and field in 2004 and 2005.
Many world-class musicians, dancers, artists, and actors have honed their talents at North Springs, including Raven Symone, Usher Raymond, and Kyle Massey.
North Springs has a dual magnet program.
The mission of the North Springs Charter High School's Science Magnet Program is to provide a higher academic level of scientific and mathematics education through problem-based learning centered in technology and research. The classes offered through this program are Biochemistry; Career Math/Science–Advanced Research Methods; Microbiology; Organic Chemistry; Introduction to Research Methods in Science, Science, Technology, and Society; Science Topics/Issues–Advanced Research Methods; Topics and Issues in Medical Ethics; Topics and Issues in Engineering; and Techniques in Engineering.
The Visual & Performing Arts Magnet Program is an interest-based program that enables students to receive pre-professional training that extends beyond the introductory level. The program provides exploration into such areas as music theory, history of the arts, composition, conducting, choreography, playwriting, directing, art production, and art criticism. Students are required to earn eight art magnet credits over the course of four years. The Arts Magnet is split into Theater Magnet, Choral Magnet, Dance Magnet, Film Magnet, Music Magnet, and Visual Arts Magnet.
North Springs Cluster
North Springs Charter School draws students from a cluster of middle and elementary schools, which work together to complete k-12 education. The cluster includes the following schools:
- Sandy Springs Middle School
- Ison Springs Elementary School
- Dunwoody Springs Charter Elementary School
- Spalding Drive Charter Elementary School
- Woodland Charter Elementary School
- Micah Jesse - blogger and television personality
- Efrem Hill - CFL player
- Mikey Post - actor
- Faith Salie - actor
- Brook Steppe - former NBA player and basketball player at Georgia Tech
- "North Springs Charter High School Science Magnet"
- "North Springs Charter High School Arts Magnet"
- "Usher Biography". netglimse.com. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "TEAM: Roster Channing Crowder Miami Dolphins". Miami Dolphins. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "Verron Haynes Bio". VerronHaynes.com. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "Raven-Symone". TVtome.com. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "John Schneider — Biography". biggeststars.com. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "NBA.com Jordan Hill Bio Page". NBA.com. Retrieved 2011-04-04.