Oh My Friend
|Oh My Friend|
|Directed by||Venu Sri Ram|
|Produced by||Dil Raju|
|Written by||Venu Sri Ram|
|Screenplay by||Venu Sri Ram|
|Story by||Venu Sri Ram|
|Music by||Rahul Raj|
|Cinematography||Vijay C Chakravarthy|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Distributed by||Geetha Arts|
Oh My Friend is a 2011 Telugu-language romantic drama film written and directed by debutant Venu Sri Ram and starring Siddharth, Shruti Haasan, Hansika Motwani. It was produced by Dil Raju and had music by Rahul Raj. The dubbed Tamil version of the film was released on 20 May 2012, under the title Sridhar, with Sivakarthikeyan lending his voice to Siddharth.
The movie begins with Chandu (Siddharth Narayan) and Siri (Shruti Haasan) as childhood friends. Chandu and Siri call each other "Faltoos" and "Killer", respectively, affectionately. Their friendship remains intact even as they grow up. Chandu who was sent to Mumbai to do MBA, instead learns music and returns home which leads to agony of his father. However, Siri convinces Chandu's father that it is her responsibility to take care of Chandu's career. They go for an audition there they get a fight with a band and he is sent out of the audition. Prior to that, Siri accepts the love proposal by Uday (Navdeep), who lives in US after consulting Chandu. Later, Chandu and Siri accidentally meet their common friend in college, Ritu Sharma (Hansika Motwani) and Chandu falls in love with her at first sight. Chandu starts spending time with Ritu to impress her, but Siri feels that she is being avoided. Siri decides to leave for a dancing School at Chennai. Meanwhile, Ritu accepts Chandu's love proposal. When Siri is about to leave, Chandu apologises her that he had not noticed that she was being avoided. At the same time, Uday comes back from US to surprise her. Hence, she decides not to leave.
Chandu decides to attend Airtel music competition in Kochi as a lead guitarist in a band. Siri, Uday and Ritu accompany him to Kochi. They all stay in a hotel in Kochi, where Clarity Kanna Rao (Ali) is the servant. Chandu gets his practice through the band where he fought already but later on they become friends. Chandu wins the competition with guitar gifted by Siri. However, the events in kochi displaying deep friendship between Chandu and Siri attracts jealousy of both Ritu and Uday. Finally Uday calls for break up by asking to decide between him and Chandu. Chandu's father defends Uday's opinion and asks Chandu and Siri to realise their love. But, Chandu insists that their friendship can't be turned into love and tells Uday to marry Siri, promising him that he will not be in touch, see her and talk to her for ever. The movie ends with Siri giving birth to Uday's child, while Chandu and Ritu, now a married couple, come to see them at the hospital.
At the hospital, Uday realizes his mistake of separating them and asks Chandu and Siri to become friends again. They both reunite as Ritu enters and feels happy for them. The four friends leave with Siri and Uday's baby in Chandu's car, now best friends forever.
- Siddharth as Chandu
- Shruti Haasan as Siri Chandana
- Hansika Motwani as Ritu
- Navdeep as Uday
- Tanikella Bharani as Chandu's Father
- Lakshmi Ramakrishnan as Chandu's Mother
- Vinaya Prasad as Siri's Mother
- Ali as Clarity Kannaiah
Siddharth plays the lead role, while actress Shruti Haasan replaced Amrita Rao as the heroine. Earlier Ye Maya Chesave fame Samantha Ruth Prabhu was planned as the female lead; but was later replaced by Amrita Rao, since a Hindi dubbed version is probable; and then subsequently finalized to Shruthi Haasan. Hansika Motwani has been roped in to play the second female lead. The film also had conducted photo shoots with actresses Amala Paul and Nithya Menen, with the latter suggesting that Siddharth wanted Shruti Haasan in the role.
For the first time in the Telugu film industry Oh My Friend movie has online piracy protection called ORNB's MovieGuard.
Several photo sessions held on 17 January 2011. The shooting commenced on 21 February 2011. The first audio teaser was released on 6 August.
|Oh My Friend|
Original CD cover
|Soundtrack album by Rahul Raj|
|Released||15 October 2011|
|Recorded||Lal Media, Chetana Voice Lab, Woodpecker Studio, EM Square Studio|
|Rahul Raj chronology|
All the music is composed, arranged and programmed by Rahul Raj, except one song Sri Chaitanya which was composed by Anil R. The lyrics are written by Sirivennela Seetharama Sasthry and Krishna Chaitanya. The audio received overwhelming responses, and the song Maa Daddy Pockets became a rage among the youth immediately on release.
Telugu film portal kothimeer.com quoted that " Certain albums come with a 'guaranteed success' tag and no doubt 'Oh My Friend' is one of them. All the songs are extremely easy on ears with smooth flowing affect and focuses more on melody, lyrics and vocals. Malayalam music director Rahul Raj rightly acquires the tag of hit machine in the music industry with this album. Songs are the treat for all those in love as well as for them who believe in true friendship. Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry and Krishna Chaitanya came together to frame the best lyrics that compliments the tunes composed by Rahul Raj."
Another famous Telugu film portal 123telugu.com concluded by giving the verdict "The album of ‘Oh my Friend’ feels fresh and youthful. There are some terrific tracks in the album. Malayalam music director Rahul Raj makes an impressive Telugu debut with this movie."
The audio went on to mark record sales of 3 lakh CDs within 9 days of release. The Times of India called it Rahul rage in Tollywood. The cast and crew hosted the 'Triple Platinum Disc' celebrations on 5 November 2011; six days prior to the film's release.
|"Oh Oh Oh My Friend "||Karthik||4:17|
|"Nuvvu Nenu Jattu"||Benny Dayal||1:57|
|"Sri Chaitanya"||Siddharth, Shruti Haasan||4:30||Composed by Guest Composer Anil.|
|"Alochana Vasthene"||Ranjith, Sangeetha Prabhu, Sarah Straub||4:45|
|"Vegam Vegam"||Benny Dayal, Kavita Mohan, Jayaram Ranjith, Desmond. F (Rap)||3:05|
|"Maa Daddy Pockets"||Siddharth||4:06|
|"Natpukkillai Ellai "||Silambarasan Rajendar||1:57|
|"Uyirin Suvaril Naane"||Sooraj, Saindhavi||4:45|
|"Poove Neeyoru Vaathai"||Vijay Yesudas||4:35|
|"Siruvan Sirumiyai"||Aalap Raju, Rita||4:30||Composed by Guest Composer Anil.|
|"Yen Daddy Pockets"||Rahul Nambiar||4:06|
|"Oh! Oh! My Friend"||Aalap Raju||4:17|
|"Vegam Vegam Vegam"||Sooraj, Priya Himesh, Desmond. F (Rap)||3:05|
Oh My Friend received mixed reviews to positive from critics and this film is well received by the audience . Oneindia.com was positive about the movie, predicting that the film would do well at multiplexes. Radhika Rajamani from rediff.com said it is a feel-good entertainer that is "honest, refreshing, and true to life".
Critics reacted negatively as well. idlebrain.com said that producer Dil Raju has made a brave attempt to make a film without any commercial padding. B V S Prakash of Deccan Chronicle rated the movie 2 out of 5, calling it "just another run-of-the-mill film". Cinegoer.com's Y Sunita Chowdary called it a pretty average film, but also said that you could watch it for the star cast. Deepa Garimella of fullhyd.com praised the film's interplay of characters, and the visuals and the music, but found the ending "an ending a serious violation of audience expectations", besides calling the plot predictable. She rated it 5 out of 10. Oneindia.com quoted the narration to be slow and subject to be cliched while praising the wonderful music and lead cast's performance as saving grace.
Galatta.com gave a positive review for the Tamil version, saying "After a long time it is good to see a subtle romantic film, without any over-the-top dialogues and violence, in Kollywood. Siddharth, Shruti Haasan and Navdeep have done justice to their role; however Hansika doesn't have much to perform. Music by Rahul Raj needs a special mention as it uplifts the entire film."
- "Amala Paul to pair up with Siddhu - Telugu Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 2011-09-15. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Real life on reel". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 21 November 2010.
- "Siddharth - Shruti - Hansika to grace screens! - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 2012-03-16. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
-  Archived 28 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- : Ramchander (2011-02-22). "Shruti Hassan replaces Amrita Rao in OMF - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Dil Raju Introducing Rahulraj for Oh My Friend:New Music Director | Currentweek". Cinema.currentweek.net. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Dil Raju | Venu Sriram | Siddharth | Oh My Friend | Malayalam Film Ritu | Rahul Raj". CineGoer.com. 2010-11-21. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "kothimeer.com". kothimeer.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Audio Review: Oh my Friend – Fresh youthful melodies". 123telugu.com. 1998-01-01. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "It's Rahul rage in Tollywood!". The Times Of India. 31 October 2011.
- "Oh my friend triple platinum disc function - Telugu cinema". Idlebrain.com. 2011-11-05. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Telugu Movie News Movie Stills Actress Pic Videos Nag Bhai Review | Telugu Movie News Nagarjuna Bhai Movie Review Telugu Cinema News Movie Stills Trailers Songs Videos Actress Photos Entertainment Updates Bhai First Show updates Telugu Movie Bhai review Bhai telugu movie Review Telugu film news". Zust Cinema. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Sruthi, Hansika and Siddharth dubbed film releasing". Sify.com. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Oneindia.com (11 November 2011). "Oh My Friend Review". Oneindia.com.
- "Oh My Friend film review - Telugu cinema Review - Siddharth, Shruti Hassan & Hansika Motwani". Idlebrain.com. 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- B V S Prakash (11 November 2011). "Oh My Friend Review". Deccan Chronicle.
- Y Sunita Chowdary (11 November 2011). "Oh My Friend Review". Cinegoer.com.
- Deepa Garimella (11 November 2011). "Oh My Friend Review". fullhyd.com.
- : Ramchander (2012-07-11). "Oh My Friend – Movie Review - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-10-29.