Arriva Buses Wales Optare Tempo interior
2011-present (Tempo SR)
|Body and chassis|
|Doors||1, 2 or 3|
|Floor type||Low floor|
The Optare Tempo is a full-size rigid single-deck bus manufactured by Optare and was launched in late 2004. It is marketed and sold as the replacement for the Optare Excel. It is designed as a lightweight bus, to use less fuel than traditional heavy duty integral rigids. As at March 2016, approximately 230 had been completed.
The Optare Tempo was launched in October 2004, with the first delivered to Trentbarton in February 2005. It came in four different lengths: 10.6, 11.3, 12.0 and 12.6 metres and it has a raised roofline in the middle continuously to the rear roof spoiler instead of an arched top.
It was originally powered by a Mercedes-Benz OM906LA engine, with a MAN engine option later introduced, coupled to an Allison or ZF automatic transmission. In 2007, a hybrid version was introduced for London operators. The Optare Tempo has stopped production and got replaced with the Optare Tempo SR.
In October 2011, a restyled version was launched as the Tempo SR. The Tempo SR came in three different lengths: 10.6, 11.3 and 12.0 metres and incorporated a Mercedes-Benz OM906 six-cylinder 210 kW (282 bhp) SCR engine (the MAN engine option being dropped). ZF 6HP500* six-speed transmission could be specified as an alternative to the standard Allison T310R gearbox – both of which feature integral retarders.
Arrva, FirstGroup, Go-Ahead Group, Stagecoach Group and Transdev Blazefield all have all been purchasers. It has been operated by Transport for London operators East London, London United and Metroline.
- Optare Tempo Bus Lists on the Web
- Optare's Tempo single-deck unveiled Bus & Coach Professional 30 September 2004
- Hybrid Tempo confirmed for 2007 Bus & Coach Professional 17 January 2007
- Optare's new Tempo SR sets the standard for style, weight and fuel efficiency Optare 5 October 2011
- Optate Tempo Left Hand Drive Bus Lists on the Web
- Three-door Optare Tempo Australasian Bus & Coach 11 September 2014
- Carbridge Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Park Ridge Transit Australian Bus Fleet Lists
Media related to Optare Tempo at Wikimedia Commons