|Founded||1 April 1989|
|Service area||Greater London, Hertfordshire|
|Service type||Bus services|
|Routes||101 (August 2017)|
|Fleet||1,682 (August 2017)|
|Fuel type||Diesel, hybrid and electric|
Metroline is a bus company operating services in Greater London and south Hertfordshire. It is a subsidiary of ComfortDelGro Corporation and operates services under contract to Transport for London. Operations are split between two registered companies, Metroline Travel Limited and Metroline West Limited.
On 1 April 1989, London Buses was divided into 11 separate business units, one of which was Metroline. As part of the privatisation of London bus services, Metroline was sold in October 1994 to a management buyout. In July 1998, it purchased MTL London and in March 2000 was sold to ComfortDelGro. In August 2004 ComfortDelGro purchased Thorpes and in November 2004 Armchair Passenger Transport with seven routes and 86 buses. The coach business of Armchair was absorbed into ComfortDelGro-owned Westbus UK in 2006. Thropes and Armchair initially retained their existing names before being rebranded to Metroline in January 2007.
When privatised, Metroline adopted a livery of red with a dark blue skirt. This was briefly changed to light blue in the mid 2000s before the dark blue was reinstated. In June 2009, Metroline adopted an all red scheme to comply with Transport for London requirements. In 2014, a blue, white and red livery was introduced on buses dedicated to non-Transport for London services.
As at August 2017, the fleet consisted of 1,682 buses.
- Companies House extract company no 2328608 Metroline London Northern
- "History". Metroline. Archived from the original on 10 August 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Companies House extract company no 2544617 FE Thorpe & Sons
- Companies House extract company no 675672 Armchair Passenger Transport Company Limited
- "Metroline brings back blue beyond Tfl-land" Buses Magazine issue 713 August 2014 page 21
- FirstGroup Announces Sale of Eight London Bus Depots FirstGroup 10 April 2013
- About Us Metroline