|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 69|
|Nearest city||Tirunelveli, Thoothukudi|
|Sex ratio||500 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Thoothukudi|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ottapidaram|
Ottapidaram is a small town in Tuticorin District and headquarters of Ottapidaram taluk, the biggest taluk in Tamil Nadu state. Ottapidaram is a tourism centre with accessibility to many places in Tamil Nadu. Tirunelveli or Tuticorin can be easily from anywhere and Ottapidaram is very close to these two places (45 km from Tirunelveli and 22 km from Tuticorin). It is the birth Place of Freedom Fighter Maveeran Sundaralinga Kudumbanar, the world's first Human Suicide Bomber, and also of the great freedom fighter V. O. Chidambaram Pillai called VOC. VOC is also called as "Kappalottiya Tamizhan" because he launched one of the first shipping companies, Swadeshi Steam Navigation Company which operated ship between Tuticorin and Colombo against the British during the British regime in India.
Kollankinar is amongst the panchayats in Ottapidaram taluk, famous in the taluk for its agriculture activities. the surround areas are vanchimaniyachi south east about 1.2 km, the railway junction connecting Tirunelveli and Tuticorin. The railways will connect in 45 minutes of journey to each of the corporation cities. (Tirunelveli and Tuticorin) Southern railways is planning to lay double line for smooth to and fro movement of trains from vilupuram to tuticorin and the other phase from "vanchi maniyachchi" to kanyakumari, since long years....
The main attractions in Ottapidaram are
- The house of V.O.C converted to a Library which houses some rare photographs of Sh.VOC
- Ulagamman(Goddess) temple
- Panchalankurichi is one other main attraction which is just 3 km from Ottapidaram. It houses a fort constructed by the Tamil Nadu government in the place of ruined fort constructed by Veerapandiya Kattobomman, the famous king who ruled from this place in the 17th century and fought against the British colonial rule.Even the portions of ruined fort can be seen.
- Jakkammal temple in Panchalankurichi, dates back to the 17th century. This is the temple in which Veerapandiya Kattabomman has worshipped regularly.
The main agricultural plantations includes
- Sugar cane
- Greengram (pachchai payaru or paasi payaru or payirtham .payaru (Tamil)
- Blackgram (uḷundhu)
- Sesame, are the major cultivation... and there are more than 9 type of plantations are practiced along with those major crops.
The people here are mostly farmers and allied business people, as well sizable Govt employees are also living here. The people here known for their bravery and courage in Tamil Nadu.
P.Mohan is the Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) since 2006 and he is one of the youngest MLA in Tamil Nadu.
Ottapidaram has Two Schools: VOC Government Higher Secondary School T.M.B Mcavoy Rural Higher Secondary School