Out of Touch
|"Out of Touch"|
|Single by Hall & Oates|
|from the album Big Bam Boom|
|B-side||"Cold, Dark and Yesterday"|
|Released||October 4, 1984|
|Genre||New wave, pop rock|
|Length||4:21 (album version)
3:55 (single version)
7:36 (remix vnersion)
|Hall & Oates singles chronology|
"Out of Touch" is a 1984 song by Hall & Oates. This lead single from their 1984 album Big Bam Boom was their last Billboard Hot 100 number one, topping the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks in December 1984. It became the duo's fourteenth consecutive top 40 hit since 1980.
The song often segued from "Dance on Your Knees" which is the opening song of the album. The music video also contains the "Dance on Your Knees" intro, which segues into an edit of the 12" remix version.
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||5|
|German Singles Chart||15|
|Netherlands Singles Chart||33|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||27|
|Swedish Singles Chart||20|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||48|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||24|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|U.S. Billboard Top Rock Tracks||18|
Uniting Nations version
|"Out of Touch"|
|Single by Uniting Nations|
|from the album One World|
|Released||21 November 2004|
|Uniting Nations singles chronology|
"Out of Touch" was covered by Uniting Nations in 2004. Uniting Nations' version peaked at number seven on the UK Singles Chart and remained in the Top 75 for 21 weeks. The vocals on the recording were done by vocalist and session artist Jinian Wilde.
The 12" vinyl included the tracks:
- (A1) Out of Touch (Extended Mix) (6:16)
- (A2) Out of Touch (Hardfaze Remix) (7:55)
- (B1) Out of Touch (Skylab Remix) (7:03)
- (B2) Out of Touch (Tyrell Remix) (6:50)
The enhanced (extended) CD single included the tracks:
- Out of Touch Radio Mix (2:36)
- Out of Touch Extended Mix (6:15)
- Out of Touch Skylab Remix (7:03)
- Out of Touch Tyrrell Remix (6:50)
- Out of Touch The Vanden Plas Remix (7:20)
- Out of Touch Paul Roberts Remix (5:55)
- Out of Touch Video
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||68|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||23|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||9|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||27|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||9|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Charts)||2|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||8|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||74|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||7|
In popular culture
- The song was featured on compilation CDs like Summer Hits 2005, Floorfillers Club Classics and Floorfillers 3, amongst others.
- The song featured in the 2002 console game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on the radio station Flash FM. It was also featured on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Greatest Hits as the first song. It is the first song of the fourth volume of the original soundtrack. Another song from the duo, "Family Man", is featured on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories; another one, "Maneater", is featured in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City and "Adult Education" is featured in GTA V.
- It was also used in the 2008 console game Saints Row 2 on the radio station The Mix 107.77.
- The song was sampled in the 2011 Nero song "Reaching Out". Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates also provided additional vocals in the song.
- New wave and pop rock genre, Allmusic review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine.
- Jeff Tamarkin (1984-10-13). Video Medium Not The Message For Daryl Hall & John Oates. Billboard. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Australian-charts.com – Uniting Nations – Out of Touch". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Uniting Nations – Out of Touch" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Uniting Nations – Out of Touch" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Uniting Nations: Out of Touch" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Musicline.de – Uniting Nations Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Uniting Nations search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Uniting Nations – Out of Touch". VG-lista.
- "Airplay Chart - Lista Krajowa 10/2005". PifPaf Production. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Archive Chart: 2005-01-09". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Uniting Nations – Out of Touch". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Uniting Nations – Out of Touch". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2005-01-08" UK Singles Chart.
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham!
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
December 8, 1984 – December 22, 1984
"Like a Virgin" by Madonna
"I Feel for You" by Chaka Khan
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
November 17, 1984 – November 24, 1984
"Big in Japan" by Alphaville