|Developer(s)||PCSX Team, PCSX-df Team, PCSX-Reloaded Team|
|Written in||C (GTK on GNU/Linux)|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Microsoft Windows, OS X/macOS|
|License||GNU General Public License|
PCSX is a free and open-source video game console emulator which allows software designed to be used with the Sony PlayStation to run on personal computers. Over the years, development changed hands several times with PCSX-Reloaded (PCSXR) now being the main version.
PCSX has a high compatibility rate and is currently available for a number of different operating systems including Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux. It is released under the GNU General Public License.
PCSX-df was created in 2006 and added new features, a new GTK-based interface, AMD64 support, and corrected some bugs, but was developed mainly with only Linux compatibility in mind. Version 1.10 was released on March 29, 2009.
PCSX-Reloaded is a new project created in mid-2009, which is based on the work of the PCSX-df branch, completely independent, and works on bug fixes while maintaining Windows and OS X compatibility alongside Linux. PCSX-df and PCSX-Reloaded coexisted for a while, with PCSX-df merging changes of PCSX-Reloaded back into df.
PCSX supports network play and external plugins as used by ePSXe. As with many modern emulators PCSX-Reloaded supports savestates and also has Save Rewind feature (currently only OSX and Linux version), Support for ECM files (currently only OS X and Linux version), Support for Libarchive (currently only OSX and Linux version), widescreen hack and makes use of plug-ins to emulate GPU, SPU, and CD-ROM drive functions, a model first established in PSEmu Pro, it uses Peops OpenGL plugin for graphics on default but can also use Pete's OpenGL2, gpuBladeSoft, PCSX2 graphics plugin GSDX, AmiDog GPU plugin, Asmodeans PSXFX shader pack, input plugins such as Lilypad and Pokopom Pad Plugin. It also has multi-track cue support and is the only PS1 emulator with compatibility with anti-jitter options in graphics plugins, such as GTE accuracy in the default Peops OpenGL plugin, or Improved coordinate accuracy in Edgbla's gpuBladeSoft and it also supports PeteOpenGL2Tweak plugin. Additionally, PCSX seeks to simulate the functionality of the PlayStation BIOS and consequently does not require a BIOS file dump to operate, making it easier to emulate legally, however Bios emulation is still incomplete so its better to use dumped BIOS to avoid various bugs and reduced compatibility.
Ports and commercial usage
Linux, macOS/OS X, and Microsoft Windows on x86-based computers are the main development focus of PCSX-Reloaded but various PCSX iterations have been ported to other platforms as well, including Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox, and various ARM-based platforms (PCSX-Rearmed fork) such as BlackBerry Playbook and Nintendo 3DS.
PCSXR was used for an official port and commercial re-release of N2O: Nitrous Oxide on Steam on June 29, 2015. It is also used as the emulator on Sony's PlayStation Classic dedicated console.
- "Debian -- Details of package pcsxr in sid". Retrieved 6 February 2020.
- "PCSX-Reloaded". EmuCR.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "CodePlex Archive". CodePlex Archive.
- "Debian -- Details of package pcsxr in stretch". Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "Review of Mac PCSX Test 3". Kator Legaz. 2005-02-02. Archived from the original on 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- linuzappz (September 17, 2003). "Playstation Emulator". PCSX. Archived from the original on March 27, 2008. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
[…]i haven't coded for pcsx in some months, i don't have the time anymore, due to pcsx2, work, life and so on…
- "AmiDog GPU plugin (and tools)".
- "PeteOpenGL2Tweak - Tweaker for PeteOpenGL2 plugin w/ GTE Accuracy Hack!".
- "Pcsx-Dc". DCEmulation. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "pcsxgc - A port of the PS1 emulator, PCSX, to the Nintendo GC/Wii - Google Project Hosting". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "ps3sx - Original PCSX port on PS3 By Anonymous - Google Project Hosting". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "pcsx-revolution - [CLOSED] Port of pcsx for Nintendo Wii (formerly Revolution). - Google Project Hosting". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "Pcsxbox". Xport.xbox-scene.com. Archived from the original on 2011-09-12. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- notaz. "Pcsx Rearmed". Notaz.gp2x.de. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "CatalystG/PCSX-reARMed-PB 路 GitHub". Github.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "PCSX-ReARMed-PB – PlayStation Emulator Now Available for the PlayBook". NerdBerry.net. 2012-04-25. Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "PS1/PSX emulator for Nintendo NEW 3DS [RetroArch H". YouTube. 2015-09-28. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- Console Classics Update on steamcommunity.com "Hi all! Thanks so much for trying out N2O! We’re really excited with our first release of a classic game on Steam"
- First psx emulated game on steam N2O: Nitrous Oxide on emutalk.net by LyonHrt (July 1st, 2015)
- Kohler, Chris. "PlayStation Classic Plays Fine, But It's A Bare-Bones Experience". Kotaku. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Best PlayStation Emulators for Desktop PCs". 2 February 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PCSX.|